Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thelawlorfaithful

Democratic Debate #5

3 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Klobuchar hit that question out of the park 

I’m not watching but I could see myself voting for Klobuchar. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

4 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

You’re not missing much, it’s god awful dull.

Figured as much.  Home sick today.  Watched all the Star Wars instead. #Nerd 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

3 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

So it was all downhill after Phantom Menace?

Nope. Watched Episode 5, 6, 7 and rogue one. 

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I like Yang.  

I disagree with alot of what Yang says but there is no denying he has good ideas.

I think a whole lot of people are going to be losing their jobs over the next 20 years and half the population will have no employable skills soon.  Automation will make them economically unviable.

So I think his idea of a basic income for everyone that can't be lost if you take work is a great idea.  It provides a welfare net without taking away the incentive to work and make more money.   The problem with our current welfare systems is they destroy ambition since you are afraid of losing them if you are on them.  This would provide that same safety net but not destroy ambition.

Just now, bluerules009 said:

I disagree with alot of what Yang says but there is no denying he has good ideas.

I think a whole lot of people are going to be losing their jobs over the next 20 years and half the population will have no employable skills soon.  Automation will make them economically unviable.

So I think his idea of a basic income for everyone that can't be lost if you take work is a great idea.  It provides a welfare net without taking away the incentive to work and make more money.   The problem with our current welfare systems is they destroy ambition since you are afraid of losing them if you are on them.  This would provide that same safety net but not destroy ambition.

I remember discussing UBI on here several years ago.  Once again the MWCboard is on shit before it is cool.

Klobuchar and Booker having a strong nights. Other than Biden forgetting that Kamala Harris is in the Senate, no stumbles from any of the front runners. 

This has been an interesting last 10 minutes. There’s finally been some attacks on Buttigieg, which it seemed had to be on the way with his rise it Iowa polls. Both Klobuchar and Gabbard took shots at Buttigieg and I think he handled it very well. 

The story so far:

In the beginning the Universe was created.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

20 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

I admit to being against UBI at first but hearing Yang’s arguments for it make sense. I agree the current welfare system doesn’t necessarily incentivize work and moving everybody off of it and giving everybody a “freedom dividend” is probably the way to go.  

4 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I admit to being against UBI at first but hearing Yang’s arguments for it make sense. I agree the current welfare system doesn’t necessarily incentivize work and moving everybody off of it and giving everybody a “freedom dividend” is probably the way to go.  

The sign of true intelligence is being able to change your mind when presented with compelling facts.

28 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

For that matter, there's been research done that proves that the most effective form of aid is... just giving people money. They know what they need way better than any bureaucrat. No program studied helped people better, on a dollar to dollar basis, then just... giving them the dollars. 

If we're using our taxes to pay for a social safety net, why the hell wouldn't we do it in the most cost effective way possible?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

19 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

The sign of true intelligence is being able to change your mind when presented with compelling facts.

Was this a compliment?  :P 

3 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Biden did not receive the pick me up injection before the debate this time 

Until someone explains to me how Biden doesn't run up the score in the South, I think he wins the nomination.

I've noticed the oddsmakers have started to consider that too, they now have him and Liz nearly pickem.