Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

Nearly 70% of Likely Voters Want the Military on the Southern Border If the Cartel War Violence Gets Any Worse

That’s a really surprising poll. If violence does continue to escalate, suddenly the wall makes a lot more sense to those that opposed it. I’m surprised that so many are paying attention. With all the Hollywood movies that have been made on the subject of Mexican Cartels fighting each other and killing innocent people certainly has given them a visual of it happenings. Movies like Savages, The Counselor, both Sicario films, etc. showcase just how brutal the cartels are. If they catch a rival alive, they do the exact same thing that the Muslim terrorists do across the pond.....an identical beheading video. 

http://m.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/current_events/mexico/most_say_drug_bosses_control_mexico_want_troops_on_border_if_violence_grows

kat.jpg

34 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

Rather than waste money building a wall that people can tunnel under or scale over, I would rather see them invest in technology to help secure the border and pay for troops down there.  The wall is a colossal waste of money.  

I think you’re colossally uninformed on the issue like many. It’s amazing that people after all this time still don’t understand the idea of the wall system. It’s referred to as a wall by many, but It’s not just a wall. The wall system includes sensors to help border patrol know where breaches are occurring in real time. The wall is not there to stop people completely. It’s there as an obstacle to slow people down so that when a sensor goes off that there’s people trying to climb the wall, cut into it, dig under it, the border patrol can be there before the people escape into the US desert. Sensors and other technology is worthless by itself just like the wall is by itself. 

This is what the BP has been asking for since Trump took office. In internal BP polling, 90% of the BP agents want this particular wall system because this is what they’ve always asked Santa for. The only experts on this are the BP, and no one should be ignoring them.

kat.jpg

I can’t see the need of putting troops on the border. So far cartel violence hasn’t spilled across the border like what occurs in Mexico. Its not like cartel armies are invading the border. Sure cartel related violence happens on US soil but not to the degree it occurs in Mexico. If large scale cartel violence spilled into US border towns I’m sure we would react with whatever force to squelch it and the cartels are aware of that. 

I don't want standing armies on our border or military operations in our country. I would rather err on the side of being reactionary. If Mexico can't keep its trash from spilling over onto our side of the border, then we'll have to go in to their country and clean it up for them. We can't let our people on this side of the border become cartel hostages, or let cartels spread their claimed territory (like ISIS, or any other terrorist organization) into our sovereign soil.

In the meantime, we need to take a better look at resolving our own drug enforcement/legalization issues. Like many have said, with alcohol prohibition the Mafia had power.

2 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Drug smuggling and cartel violence (which has little effect within our borders) will only be controlled by reducing the demand for drugs in the US. 

This.  But blaming the source of the problem doesn't sell with American citizens when you tell them it's....  the American citizens buying drugs that gave rise to the cartels in the first place.  Better to stick to magical wall chants.  It worked like a charm the first time.  Just don't add the Mexico will pay part.  On second thought, go ahead and add it.  They won't know the difference.  

The OP has no clue what goes on along the border. It's safer down here than many places hundreds of miles north. Arrests of smugglers are down, the number of illegal crossings are down and have been since 2006. Contrary to popular belief, it's not the wild west down here. My neighborhood butts up against the Barry Goldwater Bombing Range about 14 miles north of the border. It's probably the safest neighborhood in the country. There a few incursions onto the range by smugglers or migrants, but between Border Patrol, Yuma County Sheriff's Office, Yuma PD, and the Military Police from Marine Corps Air Station Yuma, the range is pretty much locked down. The site I work at on the range is 5 miles as the crow flies from the border out in the middle of nowhere. In 10 years out here I've seen 6 illegals come through, and those dudes were in bad shape. They came to us looking for water and a ride from BP. Militarizing the border is a stupid idea.

How much border violence in the US is directly attributable to cartel wars?  Is this us deploying into Mexico to fight their fight or is this just grandstanding at the US border?  I think the argument is improperly framed.  If they choose to want troops for aid in border enforcement for trafficking of humans and drugs is one thing, but I don't see how violence in Mexico is worthy of troops at the border, unless they are thinking a realistic invasion of cartels is about to happen.

*awaiting  "the invasion is already happening" line*

9 minutes ago, Uncle Juan said:

The OP has no clue what goes on along the border. It's safer down here than many places hundreds of miles north. Arrests of smugglers are down, the number of illegal crossings are down and have been since 2006. Contrary to popular belief, it's not the wild west down here. My neighborhood butts up against the Barry Goldwater Bombing Range about 14 miles north of the border. It's probably the safest neighborhood in the country. There a few incursions onto the range by smugglers or migrants, but between Border Patrol, Yuma County Sheriff's Office, Yuma PD, and the Military Police from Marine Corps Air Station Yuma, the range is pretty much locked down. The site I work at on the range is 5 miles as the crow flies from the border out in the middle of nowhere. In 10 years out here I've seen 6 illegals come through, and those dudes were in bad shape. They came to us looking for water and a ride from BP. Militarizing the border is a stupid idea.

You told the truth for once. It's a good start bro.

54 minutes ago, Uncle Juan said:

El Paso has been one of the safest cities in all of the US for decades.  You would never know border cities are safe listening to the orange one and Fox News rally up the rank and file in place like Alabama though.  It's a lot easier to scare people and promise fixes then it is to be honest though.  Trump is a master at it.

1 hour ago, Uncle Juan said:

Last year my daughter was down by the Arizona & Mexico boarder helping fight the fires in the area. This area is a well known smuggler route.  The had the fire flair up at night, so they went out to knock it down and check for other flair ups about 2 in the morning.  Wearing her Nomex and hair up in a helmet, I don't think they realized she was a woman but she heard a noise turned around and a coyote with about 10 guys in their 20's were right there.  The coyote pulled a gun on her.  She just had a shovel in her hand and her Pulaski was on her pack.  Thank god one of the guys was from Arizona & was keeping an eye on her, who also happened to be a former Recon, so he snuck up on the coyote & put the chainsaw right by his neck & started it.  Thank god the coyote dropped the gun, feeling that  running chain real close to his neck......  Maybe your area is safe but there are other areas that aren't!! 

down in a hole.jpg

11 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

I think you’re colossally uninformed on the issue like many. It’s amazing that people after all this time still don’t understand the idea of the wall system. It’s referred to as a wall by many, but It’s not just a wall. The wall system includes sensors to help border patrol know where breaches are occurring in real time. The wall is not there to stop people completely. It’s there as an obstacle to slow people down so that when a sensor goes off that there’s people trying to climb the wall, cut into it, dig under it, the border patrol can be there before the people escape into the US desert. Sensors and other technology is worthless by itself just like the wall is by itself. 

This is what the BP has been asking for since Trump took office. In internal BP polling, 90% of the BP agents want this particular wall system because this is what they’ve always asked Santa for. The only experts on this are the BP, and no one should be ignoring them.

How's that 1-2 billion dollar wall coming, captain informed?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard.