Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

BYU accepts bowl invitation to Hawaii Bowl (vs MWC)

I thought BYU got the MWC’s slot this year. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

13 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I thought BYU got the MWC’s slot this year. 

Not if UH is bowl-eligible and doesn’t have a bigger bowl to play in.  That was confirmed back during MWC media days.  What I’m not sure of is whether BYU’s opponent will be from the MWC if UH doesn’t play in the game.

1 minute ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

Not if UH is bowl-eligible and doesn’t have a bigger bowl to play in.  That was confirmed back during MWC media days.  What I’m not sure of is whether BYU’s opponent will be from the MWC if UH doesn’t play in the game.

Got it. Ok makes sense.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Guest #1Stunner
9 minutes ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

My understanding is that Hawaii almost always prefers to play in the Hawaii Bowl, in order to save on travel costs.

But you are right, I'm not sure if the AAC might get one of the MWC's other bowl ties now---maybe the Potato?

I guess we'll see how it plays out.

Guest #1Stunner
2 minutes ago, ShoichiKUN808 said:

I expect BYU was the biggest name officials wanted to fill up the stands outside of a UCF invite if somehow Hawai’i got invited to the Vegas Bowl.

I doubt there will be many fans in attendance from any school.  The Hawaii Bowl is on Christmas Eve, and seems like a made for TV event.   Most fans will be busy doing Christmas stuff, it seems.

6 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

I doubt there will be many fans in attendance from any school.  The Hawaii Bowl is on Christmas Eve, and seems like a made for TV event.   Most fans will be busy doing Christmas stuff, it seems.

Last season had 30k tickets sold. That was one of the top if not the largest for the whole season in Aloha.(still low compared to pre-Chow though)

It’s Christmas Eve (not Day) and a lot of local businesses get a bunch of tickets to give out. Would guess BYU-Hawaii would also be doing a promotion on their campus for the game.

12 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

My understanding is that Hawaii almost always prefers to play in the Hawaii Bowl, in order to save on travel costs.

But you are right, I'm not sure if the AAC might get one of the MWC's other bowl ties now---maybe the Potato?

I guess we'll see how it plays out.

I know the UH coaches and players like playing in front of the home fans but I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t mind occasionally traveling to a different bowl.  However ESPN owns the Hawaii Bowl and will always put UH in it if they can to maximize ticket sales.  Even though it’s a made-for-TV event they still want BITS.

It would be interesting to see what would happen in the unlikely circumstance UH could both win the Western Division title game against SDSU and then go on to win the MWC championship game on the road.  Would UH play in the Las Vegas Bowl like any other MWC champion, or would ESPN engineer a switch to put UH in the Hawaii Bowl anyhow and place the MWC runner-up in the Las Vegas Bowl?  Given that bowl games are all about the money the latter wouldn’t surprise me in the least.

Guest #1Stunner
12 minutes ago, ShoichiKUN808 said:

Last season had 30k tickets sold. That was one of the top if not the largest for the whole season in Aloha.(still low compared to pre-Chow though)

It’s Christmas Eve (not Day) and a lot of local businesses get a bunch of tickets to give out. Would guess BYU-Hawaii would also be doing a promotion on their campus for the game.

The 2018 Hawaii Bowl was played on December 22, 2018.

I think those 2 extra days make a big difference.  I expect lower attendance for the December 24, 2019 game.  But hopefully you are correct.   I also don't expect great TV ratings, since it will be in prime time on December 24, 2019.

I agree.  BYU will probably give a lot of tickets to BYU Hawaii students.

McCann eluded to a big announcement about the UMASS/BYU game on Monday or Tuesday. I’m guessing BYUtv bought the rights to the game. What do you think stunner. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

31 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

I mentioned this in another thread but there’s a growing chance that it’ll be UCF in this bowl vs BYU.  There is a big push from their administration and the conf behind the scenes.

I wouldn’t count on it.  Hawaii will be there unless they play in the Las Vegas bowl. 

3 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Loads of BYU acolytes in Hawaii. They'll represent.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

3 hours ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

I know the UH coaches and players like playing in front of the home fans but I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t mind occasionally traveling to a different bowl.  However ESPN owns the Hawaii Bowl and will always put UH in it if they can to maximize ticket sales.  Even though it’s a made-for-TV event they still want BITS.

It would be interesting to see what would happen in the unlikely circumstance UH could both win the Western Division title game against SDSU and then go on to win the MWC championship game on the road.  Would UH play in the Las Vegas Bowl like any other MWC champion, or would ESPN engineer a switch to put UH in the Hawaii Bowl anyhow and place the MWC runner-up in the Las Vegas Bowl?  Given that bowl games are all about the money the latter wouldn’t surprise me in the least.

The Las Vegas Bowl is contractually obligated to have the MW champs play in it, right? Barring a NY6 bowl or CFP bid??  I'd think in your situation Hawaii would go to Vegas and the Hawaii Bowl then picks whoever's available :shrug: