Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lobo Amor

Lobo's player cause of death revealed.

https://www.abqjournal.com/1392167/police-lobo-flowers-death-was-a-suicide.html

This is becoming more and more common with this younger generation. Last week my younger cousin hung himself from a basketball goal at a local Church. Everyone reached out to try and help but he said he was beyond help and that not even God loved him. He was addicted to meth and heroin, his dad died the same way 9 years earlier. My sister works as a counselor with 9 to 11 year olds and she has 1 to 2 students a week going to her office because they no longer want to live. I could on and on. I all want is everyone on this board to reach out to our families and let them know they are cared for and that they matter. Forgive who you need to and move forward, life is too precious and our time here on earth is too short.

There seems to be a lack of stability and meaning in a lot of young people’s lives these days. Hell things are depressing enough for adults. Religion used to be a mainstay for people to turn to, but society is largely secular now. Very sad for the UNM player. He sounded like a great kid. 

1 hour ago, Lobo Amor said:

This is becoming more and more common with this younger generation. Last week my younger cousin hung himself from a basketball goal at a local Church. Everyone reached out to try and help but he said he was beyond help and that not even God loved him. He was addicted to meth and heroin, his dad died the same way 9 years earlier. My sister works as a counselor with 9 to 11 year olds and she has 1 to 2 students a week going to her office because they no longer want to live. I could on and on. I all want is everyone on this board to reach out to our families and let them know they are cared for and that they matter. Forgive who you need to and move forward, life is too precious and our time here on earth is too short.

Sorry to hear about your cousin.

A former UNLV player (Kenny Keys) whose younger brother was a current UNLV player (Kendal Keys, who was a senior last season) took his own life during the summer of last year.  It never makes sense.  The only positive is that maybe messages like yours will urge someone to reach out when they start seeing the signs.  Thanks for posting.

9 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

There seems to be a lack of stability and meaning in a lot of young people’s lives these days. Hell things are depressing enough for adults. Religion used to be a mainstay for people to turn to, but society is largely secular now. Very sad for the UNM player. He sounded like a great kid. 

Suicide rates are on the rise in this country for several reasons and none of them have to do with religion or stability. It is really a mental health crisis fueled by huge social and economic inequalities and a lack of access to affordable and effective mental health treatment. 

2 hours ago, Rebels2k3 said:

Suicide rates are on the rise in this country for several reasons and none of them have to do with religion or stability. It is really a mental health crisis fueled by huge social and economic inequalities and a lack of access to affordable and effective mental health treatment. 

Actually lack of social and familial stability is a prime reason for teenage suicide. You’re turning this tragedy into a political statement with your statement about huge social and economic inequalities. Social isolation and exposure to divorce, acute familial or peer conflict and drugs and alcohol are root causes of depression that precedes suicide attempts. Even in places with early screening and access to counseling, the data doesn’t show significant reduction in youth suicide because the numbers required to power the studies are too large. There is more of a correlation with cell phone usage and social media and suicide than people care to consider. It is true that there is a lack of access to mental health care whether affordable or not due to low reimbursement for mental health providers. Most psychiatrists are employed so they see Medicaid, Medicare and indigent patients without preference.

From the article...

When asked earlier this week if the mental health services available for UNM student-athletes has been adequate, UNM football coach Bob Davie said only, “everybody did their best,”and declined to comment further.”

Thats our coach, typical, lack of empathy, Bob Davie. Shrugs off the question, like he doesn’t have the time for such silliness!? Not even vested enough in a young man’s suicide, or to fake concern, for the  very real issue, that just slapped him, his players, and the university, in the face! 

His team gets run over by other football teams, a player commits suicide, then he stands there at his weekly pressers, smiles, and throws his players under the bus, for not being talented enough win football games!?

I use to defend him, and liked him as a person, but his callousness for the subject, seals it for me... I’m done with him. UNM can’t get rid of him fast enough as far as I’m concerned!

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

7 hours ago, Rebels2k3 said:

It has a lot to do with social media. Kids used to go home and be able to forget about life. Now it's 24/7.

10 hours ago, Lobo Amor said:

Condolences, LA.

1 hour ago, rebelcuff said:

It has a lot to do with social media. Kids used to go home and be able to forget about life. Now it's 24/7.

Yep, you used to be able to go home and forget about the bully, now they stay with you constantly as long as you have the cell phone in your hands. 

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

6 hours ago, NMpackalum said:

Actually lack of social and familial stability is a prime reason for teenage suicide. You’re turning this tragedy into a political statement with your statement about huge social and economic inequalities. Social isolation and exposure to divorce, acute familial or peer conflict and drugs and alcohol are root causes of depression that precedes suicide attempts. Even in places with early screening and access to counseling, the data doesn’t show significant reduction in youth suicide because the numbers required to power the studies are too large. There is more of a correlation with cell phone usage and social media and suicide than people care to consider. It is true that there is a lack of access to mental health care whether affordable or not due to low reimbursement for mental health providers. Most psychiatrists are employed so they see Medicaid, Medicare and indigent patients without preference.

Oh shut up dude. Your head is in the sand 

9 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

9 hours ago, Rebels2k3 said:

I think a lot of it has to do with stability.  How many kids have parents who are barely at home because they are working all the time?  

It also has to do with a lack of purpose.  A lot of kids see no reason to live or have anything that drives them.  It is sad.  A culture has also developed that life sucks and is pointless.  It is really sad.  

Couple that with social media and advertising constantly telling them they don't measure up and this all has created a very big problem.  I think if kids had parents home more and involved in their lives more it would help.  A lot of parents need to step up and be real parents too, not just in name.  Find time for your kids and teach them life skills.  

19 minutes ago, Rebels2k3 said:

That's one if the reasons but not a major factor. If we had a better health system this wouldn't be an issue 

Better mental health would also help but pills and counseling are not the only answers.  There are systematic issues to deal with as well.  Mental health won't solve everything.  It is a very complex issue

I have a very close family member who attempted suicide about 2 years ago and has had a remarkable turn around.

She is now enrolled in a great school, has lots of friends and is thriving.

She explained it to me this way.”Paraphrasing” I thought I had no value and that no one wanted me. I felt like God didn’t care about me as an individual, and that I had no future.

On top of all of that , all I cared about was what everyone else thought about me, I never took the time to get to know myself. Social media took over my life and all I cared about was being liked and getting likes.

When I asked her what changed , She said I let God into my life Lots of prayer and pleading and from that point I felt like , If I have value to God then I should value myself, and from my self-love others could see that I loved myself and they loved me for it.

Two years later She is now studying to be a high school counselor and her entire mission is preventing teen and adult suicide. She has tons of friends and life is her oyster.

I know the God message is a bit edgy for this board. But that is what she told me.

Regardless of the God equation people have to learn to love themselves first and that self-love will manifest. Social media and our 24/7 non stop society prevents people from knowing and loving themselves. “Alone time” time with no media apparatus just thinking or working or heaven forbid reading has been declining at an alarming rate and is creating a schism between people.

Time spent one on one with others just talking is doing the same.

This (Suicide) is the epidemic/great plague of the next 100 years.

Sorry I feel strongly about it as I just about lost someone I loved very much. I don’t want it to happen to anyone. So put down the phone or other device and re-connect please and make sure those you love do the same.

10 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

How can anyone ever get depressed when the God groove makes you move like this?

giphy.gif

I mean, aside from all the hypocrisy and priest sex and stuff. :shrug:

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

13 minutes ago, bigbluebaby said:

I have a very close family member who attempted suicide about 2 years ago and has had a remarkable turn around.

She is now enrolled in a great school, has lots of friends and is thriving.

She explained it to me this way.”Paraphrasing” I thought I had no value and that no one wanted me. I felt like God didn’t care about me as an individual, and that I had no future.

On top of all of that , all I cared about was what everyone else thought about me, I never took the time to get to know myself. Social media took over my life and all I cared about was being liked and getting likes.

When I asked her what changed , She said I let God into my life Lots of prayer and pleading and from that point I felt like , If I have value to God then I should value myself, and from my self-love others could see that I loved myself and they loved me for it.

Two years later She is now studying to be a high school counselor and her entire mission is preventing teen and adult suicide. She has tons of friends and life is her oyster.

I know the God message is a bit edgy for this board. But that is what she told me.

Regardless of the God equation people have to learn to love themselves first and that self-love will manifest. Social media and our 24/7 non stop society prevents people from knowing and loving themselves. “Alone time” time with no media apparatus just thinking or working or heaven forbid reading has been declining at an alarming rate and is creating a schism between people.

Time spent one on one with others just talking is doing the same.

This (Suicide) is the epidemic/great plague of the next 100 years.

Sorry I feel strongly about it as I just about lost someone I loved very much. I don’t want it to happen to anyone. So put down the phone or other device and re-connect please and make sure those you love do the same.

Great message bigbluebaby. Life can be a real bitch sometimes and reaching out and talking to others about their problems with compassion can literally be a life saver. Mental illness and clinical depression is also a very real thing for many people.

My older brother was severely depressed for years and eventually took his own life. My wife’s mother had similar depression for years until her doctor prescribed lithium, an experimental drug at the time, and from that point on she was able to live a relatively normal life. 

3 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

How can anyone ever get depressed when the God groove makes you move like this?

giphy.gif

I mean, aside from all the hypocrisy and priest sex and stuff. :shrug:

I’m not a particularly religious person meaning I don’t go to church every Sunday and I don’t believe in some church teachings. However, religion does give deep meaning to many people’s lives and it is a place to turn to when things aren’t going wel for them. I’m not one to belittle their beliefs if it works for them. 

Just now, soupslam1 said:

I’m not a particularly religious person meaning I don’t go to church every Sunday and I don’t believe in some church teachings. However, religion does give deep meaning to many people’s lives and it is a place to turn to when things aren’t going wel for them. I’m not one to belittle their beliefs if it works for them. 

I agree with you; I'm just having fun.

My parents - neither of whom were religious - put me into a Christian school when I was eight. The exposure had two effects: to this day I consider myself (albeit nominally) a Christian, and second, I found that the biggest self-proclaimed Christians tended to be the least Christ-like people I knew.

But personal bias aside, I wholeheartedly agree that the sense of belonging, community, and fellowship does a lot of good for a lot of people. As George Carlin eloquently put it, all religions share one common tenet - don't be a c*nt. And some people need that fellowship to help them stay on that path.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

11 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

You make some very asinine remarks. You think I "carry a big chip on my shoulders" b/c I call out racism and bigotry. You think religion was a mainstay for our society. Our society has always been secular. Religion has always been there too. It still is. Some would argue that religion is more accessible b/c of the many religious TV/cable networks. Also, it is common for student-athletes to form religious based groups on campus. I've seen several MWC players post on social media for Fellowship of Christian Athletes and National Association of Christian Athletes.