Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV at UCLA

5 hours ago, Meister_Rebel said:

For me this year was a year to just see TJO's style of play.  I had zero expectations based on the player turnover.  Some got their hopes up when Tillman was cleared to play this year.  I never wanted him to play this year as I felt this year we weren't going to accomplish much.  I still think he should have red shirted this year and then had two more years with Jenkins.   I think if Tillman had red shirted and had a strong year with a stronger team he might have gotten some NBA looks.  But as it stands this year he just hurt himself as he isn't going to stand out but in the end we will at least have him for just one more year.  Anyway, we can still salvage the season by showing a strong defense and sticking to TJO's style of play.  Hamilton has got to get more time on the floor but he also needs to play within TJO's style of play.  I don't see any other player that we have coming off the bench that can be developed other than Hamilton.  The depth on the bench sucks.

I'm not going to get down on this team.  I think we will end the season matching our MWC predictions.  Anything better is just a plus.  I'm still optimistic about the future.

Kansas State, @Cal, @UCLA is a tough gauntlet for a new coach familiarizing himself with the roster. The announcers have continuously said this is an ambitious schedule. Could easily be 3-1 right now but mistakes and miscues have TJO at 1-3. If nothing else, these games show how much more work needs to be done to improve the team play. Plenty of time left to forget the start of the season. 

I don’t know if Jenkins plays two years at UNLV but we know why TJO is basically bringing in a whole new roster next year that can shoot and have length. 

New players: 

Moses Wood

David Jenkins jr 

Jhaylon Martinez 

Donovan Yap

Isaac Lindsay

Reece Brown

Nick Blake 

Returning: 

Tillman 

Mback Diong

Amauri Hardy 

Bryce Hamilton

Possible additions: 

Mwani Wilkinson 

48 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

Kansas State, @Cal, @UCLA is a tough gauntlet for a new coach familiarizing himself with the roster. The announcers have continuously said this is an ambitious schedule. Could easily be 3-1 right now but mistakes and miscues have TJO at 1-3. If nothing else, these games show how much more work needs to be done to improve the team play. Plenty of time left to forget the start of the season. 

I don’t know if Jenkins plays two years at UNLV but we know why TJO is basically bringing in a whole new roster next year that can shoot and have length. 

New players: 

Moses Wood

David Jenkins jr 

Jhaylon Martinez 

Donovan Yap

Isaac Lindsay

Reece Brown

Nick Blake 

Returning: 

Tillman 

Mback Diong

Amauri Hardy 

Bryce Hamilton

Possible additions: 

Mwani Wilkinson 

Mwani Wilkinson is going to LSU.  I think Reece Brown, based on tape, is better tbh.

Otzelberger talks about playing a thin rotation, but he didn't really do that at South Dakota State.  He played 10 players his first year, 9 players his second year, and only 7 players his third year.  My guess is that the depth wasn't great year 3.

I love the Reece signing. I see the vision. I am a little bit concerned with TJ and staff as talent evaluators. 

Jury is still out on Tillman, Jonah until at least conference. 

Will have to see how this team plays in the mw, and how the guys coming in next year look. Gotta see him with a team full of his guys, but this last stretch was not awe inspiring. 

Even next year, that team is gonna be super young.

36 minutes ago, qwelish said:

I love the Reece signing. I see the vision. I am a little bit concerned with TJ and staff as talent evaluators. 

Jury is still out on Tillman, Jonah until at least conference. 

Will have to see how this team plays in the mw, and how the guys coming in next year look. Gotta see him with a team full of his guys, but this last stretch was not awe inspiring. 

Even next year, that team is gonna be super young.

The odd recruit is Isaac Lindsey.  

8 minutes ago, Meister_Rebel said:

The odd recruit is Isaac Lindsey.  TJO and this kid both from Wisconsin.  He must be a kid from a family friend.  

Didnt TJ sign a juco guard too? Along with Moses Wood and for me even David Jenkins, are question marks at this point.

If this team doesnt finish top half, I see no reason to believe those additions with a bunch of freshmen will put UNLV into the top 3 next season, or get UNLV ranked, dancing, etc.

5 minutes ago, qwelish said:

Didnt TJ sign a juco guard too? Along with Moses Wood and for me even David Jenkins. If this team doesnt finish top half, I see no reason to believe those additions with a bunch of freshmen will put UNLV into the top 3 next season, or get UNLV ranked, dancing, etc.

The juco guard isn’t coming to mind.  I’ll have to check.

I'm not saying TJO won't get UNLV going some..........but this season is just a transition season like Menzies first season was. Change of coaching staff, transfers out deplete the roster and TJO like Menzies just had to find bodies to fill out the roster - It's the situation and nothing surprising

I wouldn't point to this years transfers as the caliber of player that TJO will bring in in coming years 

So just because this season might be a dud (and it's not settled yet as it's still early) doesn't mean in the coming years things won't be better.

But TJO is also somewhat of an unknown entity at a program like UNLV & there's a lot of things that will take time to see if he can get UNLV on a winning track and what level that track might be 

1 minute ago, qwelish said:

He's landing guys........nothing of a "Wow" factor with the other schools that were offering some of these recruits, but he's getting his players and that's step 1 in building the program t his style

We say Dave Rice land sexy recruits that were being recruited by the sexy big time programs and Rice did nothing with them............if TJ can win with some under the radar recruits then that's not a bad thing 

UNLV's first task is simply being competitive in conference. He can do that in a year or two. Year four will be key though, he's going to have to make some noise. 

One other consideration: with the new meta of transfers, a team's outlook can change greatly quickly. Is Coach flexible enough to take advantage of that? 

Kruger had teams that seemed to be greater than the sum of their parts. But Kruger had some stacked rosters, too. But noone went into the s16 season saying this is a s16 team. No one.

It looks like there will be 5  freshmen, 1 juco and 2 transfers coming in. 

Nick Blake

Donovan Yap

Jhaylon Martinez

Isaac Lindsey

Nick Fleming

Reece Brown

David Jenkins Jr

Jonah Antonio

Donnie Tillman

Mbacke

Moses Wood

Amauri Hardy

Bryce Hamilton

Unless someone doesnt make it here , the roster for 20 is set.

35 minutes ago, jdw said:

being competitive in conference. He can do that in a year or two. Year four will be key though, he's going to have to make some noise. 

So four years to rebuild is cool now? 

Okay, thats pretty interesting.

qwel, I'm talking four years to the NCAA's with visible progress each year. Given how bad you are right now, that isn't unreasonable. This year is a write-off. Year Two your best players may well be freshmen. Year Three they're sophomores. You're expecting second week of the Tournament with underclassmen?

10 minutes ago, jdw said:

qwel, I'm talking four years to the NCAA's with visible progress each year. Given how bad you are right now, that isn't unreasonable. This year is a write-off. Year Two your best players may well be freshmen. Year Three they're sophomores. You're expecting second week of the Tournament with underclassmen?

Not at all. I agree with you fully. But many of the UNLV fans here wanted the last coach fired after 2 seasons and eventually he was canned after 3. 

So as you csn see, setting a 4 year plan for a fan base that typically wants immediate results can be ambitious. I think TJ is here for 4 years minimum, but if he rubs the fanbase the wrong way it will be unbearable.

7 hours ago, jdw said:

Amauri Hardy and Donnie Tillman are All-MW caliber players and will be here in year two.

Having all mw caliber players does not guarantee a top conference finish.

Last year Amauri had almost the same scoring avg as Clyburn and didnt even get honorable mention. 

Right now Tillman has the same scoring avg Amauri finished last season with. So he will need to show some consistency before you just crown him.