Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

East Coast Bias on AAC & MWC Rankings This Year

On 11/11/2019 at 2:57 PM, Nevada Convert said:

There's always been the east coast bias, but it's horribly bad this year. We've beaten 9 P5's and some good G5's, yet the MWC isn't getting any bump out of it. They act like it's just another year while the AAC has been given tons of benefit of the doubt. 4 schools in the Top 25 when the PAC-12 has 2, and we have 1 (2 in last weeks AP). Wyoming and AF should be ranked, no doubt about it. We really do need more bowl tie-ins with the AAC to solve this, but P6 has other options, I guess. 

This gave me a pretty good laugh...and I'm a Wyoming fan.

The AAC has snagged 3 of the last 4 NY6 bids, winning twice. If anything, there might be recentcy bias, not east coast bias, involved in the rankings "love" received. My guess is that they are going to snag another bid this year.

It sucks that the MWC NY6 bid hopes all fall on Boise every year. If Boise isn't in the mix, neither is the conference. Someone else has to step up and win consistently.

As far as AAC additions, they should be looking at App St. 

5923508649007_bestsuperbowlpicture.jpg.3d879e07e88f2c9ecd15a44ed82786a3.jpg

13 hours ago, Ibanez said:

I said all of that and you wrote 14 words. I want you to tell me what teams in the west supposed to in order to join the AAC.

None of us have any concrete information what is going on behind the scenes.  Its all speculation at this point.  Its an ugly secretive process.  Just like the Denver Airport meetings, many were affected but only a few knew beforehand.

UConn is another example.  UConn's deal with Big East was completed behind the scenes....and then announced.  There were no public articles about how the UConn/BE negotiations were going.  Evidently, the UConn football coach learned of the BE deal when it was publicly announced.  He was 100% out of the loop.  Evidently, only the UConn President and AD knew what was going on behind the curtains.  My guess is this is the route Aresco is going, often citing the fiasco of the B12 expansion circus.

1 hour ago, RSF said:

UCF has a lot to prove.  4 years ago they threw up an 0fer.  Boise has been doing it for 2 decades.

BSU has played in 3 NY6 bowls, winning all three.  It took 20 years.

UCF has played in 3 NY6 bowls, winning 2.  It took 20 years.  UCF lost their starting QB for the Fiesta Bowl and lost to LSU.

3 hours ago, Pokez said:

This gave me a pretty good laugh...and I'm a Wyoming fan.

The AAC has snagged 3 of the last 4 NY6 bids, winning twice. If anything, there might be recentcy bias, not east coast bias, involved in the rankings "love" received. My guess is that they are going to snag another bid this year.

It sucks that the MWC NY6 bid hopes all fall on Boise every year. If Boise isn't in the mix, neither is the conference. Someone else has to step up and win consistently.

As far as AAC additions, they should be looking at App St. 

That’s cool.

Thanks for the laugh. Anyone that uses a ‘z’ in place of a ‘s’ to wow others with coolness has to be an epic dork. 

kat.jpg

6 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

That’s cool.

Thanks for the laugh. Anyone that uses a ‘z’ in place of a ‘s’ to wow others with coolness has to be an epic dork. 

Izn't trying to "wow people with coolness" the foundational principle of mezzage board chatter? A Wyoming fan doezn't agree with your take that Wyoming should be ranked and the best you've got iz to make fun of an arbitrary zcreen name? 

Oh wait, forgot. Being a dipzhit is another foundational principle of mezzage board chatter.

5923508649007_bestsuperbowlpicture.jpg.3d879e07e88f2c9ecd15a44ed82786a3.jpg

Mountain West Commissioner says late-night kickoffs, tipoffs will be part of new television agreement, Colorado Springs Gazette, by Brent Briggerman, October 15, 2019

* Contract will be done in 30 days (which would be November 15).

* No streaming.  Not enough money to do that.

* MWC's nine P5 victories hasn't helped in TV negotiations.

* Late night starts for football and basketball games will remain a reality.

8 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

At this point my guess is the contract isn't finished because the MWC might look very different soon. And ESPN and CBS are not gonna write checks unless th conference is stable. (UCONN comes to mind.)

Air Force could leave. The West might split from the Mountain. Someone might go to the AAC. It's done but they are holding the number back since Boise St is in the access bowl hunt for whatever reason. BYU or some other school might be joining for basketball. Colorado St could go to the Big 12. I think its a stability issue. 

Doubt thats the case.  Most, if not all of the media deals have contingencies for changes in conference membership.  The last Big 12 expansion attempt was the result of just such a clause in the contract.  Ultimately it resulted in the conference getting a few bucks NOT to expand.  The AAC is facing it right now - ESPN has the right to renegotiate the new deal due to UConn leaving.  ESPN is taking a 'wait and see' approach.  The UConn move also affected the Fox/Big East deal - their contract has automatic escalators for additional members.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

11 hours ago, Tulsa Guy said:

BSU has played in 3 NY6 bowls, winning all three.  It took 20 years.

UCF has played in 3 NY6 bowls, winning 2.  It took 20 years.  UCF lost their starting QB for the Fiesta Bowl and lost to LSU.

LOL @ comparing NY6 invites to actual big-boy Bowls like we went to the first 2 Fiestas. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

12 hours ago, Tulsa Guy said:

And in that time UCF had TWO winless seasons and 7 losing seasons.  No 'successful' team has been such an epic failure.  Boise had neither.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

3 hours ago, RSF said:

Doubt thats the case.  Most, if not all of the media deals have contingencies for changes in conference membership.  The last Big 12 expansion attempt was the result of just such a clause in the contract.  Ultimately it resulted in the conference getting a few bucks NOT to expand.  The AAC is facing it right now - ESPN has the right to renegotiate the new deal due to UConn leaving.  ESPN is taking a 'wait and see' approach.  The UConn move also affected the Fox/Big East deal - their contract has automatic escalators for additional members.

ESPN and FOX would have had to pay up if B12 expanded as the B12 contract had an automatic escalator.  Any team added to B12 would automatically give B12 conference $25M.  Adding 2 teams to go to 12 meant ESPN & FOX would have to come up with $50M annually.

I think (I am guessing here) what happened is that ESPN and FOX knew they screwed up with the automatic escalators and conjoled/threatened the B12 with future retaliation if the B12 expanded.  ESPN and FOX would have had to pay something like $25M each year for both additions to go to 12 members, or $50M a year.  The thinking of some of the 10 schools was to pocket most of that money for themselves.  An extra $50M to be paid annually would have been a financial disaster for ESPN and FOX.  So ESPN and FOX adamantly opposed expansion.

So, as you say, ESPN threw a bit of money in the B12 pot and everybody was happy after the fiasco was over.

The kicker was Texas who has and will not accept any expansion whatsoever.  There were other B12 schools that didn't want expansion either, I think primarily having either OU or Texas for a home game each year boosted season ticket sales.  In addition, KU, KSU, and ISU would not be able to recruit in Texas so well because annually playing the Texas schools is decreased with a new northern division of B12. 

OU Prez (I used the Z!) had a brain fart.  He started the expansion circus without doing his homework.  Most OU fans didn't want to expand either.  Barry Switzer, OU's biggest academic fund raiser and OU's biggest sports fund raiser, campaigned against expansion.

B12 requires a 8-2 vote for expansion and was not able to come up with the 8 votes.

2 hours ago, RSF said:

And in that time UCF had TWO winless seasons and 7 losing seasons.  No 'successful' team has been such an epic failure.  Boise had neither.

Boise plays in a much easier conference.  Reminds me of the moniker of the old Big 8.  Its Oklahoma U and the 7 dwarfs.  When Nebraska became a power house, then the moniker became Oklahoma and Nebraska and the 6 dwarfs.

If Tulsa was in MWC, Tulsa undoubtedly would be bowl eligible.

23 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Agreed.  These AAC fans are clueless.

If BYU joined the AAC, they would only have 4 OOC games every year---maybe even 3 (if the AAC adopted an 9 game schedule)..

If that were to happen, how could BYU continue to regularly schedule USU, Utah, and Boise?  (It couldn't).   

That's not to mention the fact that BYU also likes scheduling Hawaii and UNLV, along with other MWC schools.   And of course, BYU would still want to schedule a lot of P5s OOC if it was in the AAC (which it will never join). 

So, the AAC would be a terrible situation for BYU.  BYU would lose all scheduling flexibility.  The only AAC schools that have any appeal are SMU, Houston and Navy (because of all of the BYU fans in Texas).  But BYU can simply schedule them as an Indy.

Bottom line.  The AAC fans need to find a different school.  BYU isn't going to join that conference.

You are falsely equating wanting your team to join the conference with saying that it's more likely than BSU joining the conference.  Reading comprehension.  

On 11/13/2019 at 11:00 AM, Del Scorcho said:

the problem with UCF is it's too difficult to distinguish between them USF, FAU and that other Florida International university.  We're all familiar with Miami, Florida State and Florida but after that it gets blurry.  I follow college football pretty closely but I couldn't tell you who the mascots are for these other schools, where they are located or anything about them.  

Fortunately to the people that matter it isn't difficult to discern.  

22 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Here are the locations that BYU probably wants to play bowl games:

Las Vegas

California (Southern or Northern is fine)

Texas

Phoenix

Hawaii

If the AAC wants to do a bowl there with BYU, maybe every other year, great.   But I doubt that BYU wants any bowls in Florida, or the the South.

For someone that claims so much fandom to BYU you sure don't know much about their FL roots.  

Also, there's a growing chance that UCF is playing BYU in Hawaii Bowl this year.  The powers that be are trying to make it work.  

2 hours ago, RSF said:

Quality of competition comes into play for sure...but as I've said before that last 0-win season was the best thing to happen to our football program.  Any time someone like you brings it up as a bad thing all I can do is sit back and smile.  

Guest #1Stunner
14 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

You are falsely equating wanting your team to join the conference with saying that it's more likely than BSU joining the conference.  Reading comprehension.  

My team wants to join the AAC conference?  What?

51 minutes ago, Tulsa Guy said:

Boise plays in a much easier conference.  Reminds me of the moniker of the old Big 8.  Its Oklahoma U and the 7 dwarfs.  When Nebraska became a power house, then the moniker became Oklahoma and Nebraska and the 6 dwarfs.

If Tulsa was in MWC, Tulsa undoubtedly would be bowl eligible.

Lots of teams have played in "much easier conferences".  None have reached the level of Boise State's accomplishments.

UCF went 0-11 in the MAC in '04 for chrissakes!  And in their 0'fer in 2015, lost to Florida International and Furman!

Your point?

Guest #1Stunner
10 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

For someone that claims so much fandom to BYU you sure don't know much about their FL roots.  

Also, there's a growing chance that UCF is playing BYU in Hawaii Bowl this year.  The powers that be are trying to make it work.  

BYU has "Florida roots"?   LOL!

Who cares that BYU is playing Central Florida in the Hawaii Bowl?  That says nothing about BYU supposedly joining the AAC.

11 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

BYU has "Florida roots"?   LOL!

Who cares that BYU is playing Central Florida in the Hawaii Bowl?  That says nothing about BYU supposedly joining the AAC.

Sure...the Mormon Church's 1st home was Nauvoo, Fl.....