Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

East Coast Bias on AAC & MWC Rankings This Year

Guest #1Stunner
8 minutes ago, Tulsa Guy said:

I am confused on this point.  The old rule you had to have 12 teams.  SBC currently has 10 members with 2 divisions of 5 teams each and plays a conference championship game.  So a division of 5 members is not unheard of.

The BYU poster that came on the AAC board suggested BYU could become a member 2025 or later because of all the contracts BYU has signed.  It would just be too costly for BYU to pay cancellation fees, although AAC would undoubtedly use that $17M from UConn for exit fees to help BYU get out of contracts.

Fan opinions are worth 2 cents, if that much.  But AAC fans want BYU the most.  AFA or CSU are the next most mentioned schools, probably because both schools have publicly expressed their displeasure with the late start times. 

Aresco wants to avoid the fiasco that was the B12 "expansion" circus.

Yeah, the AAC keeps dreaming of adding BYU, but it won't ever happen.

I agree that CSU or AFA are your only options in the MWC.   Boise won't give up their special treatment, ESPN deal.   SDSU is too far away.   That leaves CSU and Air Force.

Air Force is probably the most likely... But they'd need to put their basketball and other sports in a different conference.

10 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Yeah, the AAC keeps dreaming of adding BYU, but it won't ever happen.

I agree that CSU or AFA are your only options in the MWC.   Boise won't give up their special treatment, ESPN deal.   SDSU is too far away.   That leaves CSU and Air Force.

Air Force is probably the most likely... But they'd need to put their basketball and other sports in a different conference.

The Navy/Wichita State deal has worked out well for AAC.  An AFA/VCU deal would probably match it.

Aresco, in his remarks in that interview you just posted, also stated that "no school is too far away if they are football only."   Sad to say, you know how this expansion business works.  Fear is used to create a stampede. If one MWC school learns another MWC school is talking to Aresco, then other MWC schools might jump in too.  Its an ugly process.  I hated it for Tulsa, even though Tulsa got lucky and landed on its feet.

17 minutes ago, Tulsa Guy said:

I am confused on this point.  The old rule you had to have 12 teams.  SBC currently has 10 members with 2 divisions of 5 teams each and plays a conference championship game.  So a division of 5 members is not unheard of.

The BYU poster that came on the AAC board suggested BYU could become a member 2025 or later because of all the contracts BYU has signed.  It would just be too costly for BYU to pay cancellation fees, although AAC would undoubtedly use that $17M from UConn for exit fees to help BYU get out of contracts.

Fan opinions are worth 2 cents, if that much.  But AAC fans want BYU the most.  AFA or CSU are the next most mentioned schools, probably because both schools have publicly expressed their displeasure with the late start times. 

Aresco wants to avoid the fiasco that was the B12 "expansion" circus.

Not sure but do they play a complete round robin schedule?

3 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

Hate to spoil your day, but straight from Wikipedia:

"Only the score, venue, and date of each game are used to calculate the Massey ratings."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_Massey

I think you guys are arguing different things. The Massey ratings probably do just use the 3 calculations. However, the Massey Composite incorporates a boatload of other rankings to form an overall composite ranking.

55 minutes ago, CV147 said:

I think Air Force will get a football-only invite and probably accept. They've been expressing their displeasure with this conference over the last month.

I'm pretty sure AFA would actually travel significantly more miles in the AAC then they do in the MWC. I would guess they are more likely to go indy than join the AAC...although I would be pretty shocked if they actually left the MWC anytime soon.

East Coast bias didnt help keep SMU in the latest CFP ranking.  Guess they didnt think much of ECU.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 hour ago, KingBronco said:

I think you guys are arguing different things. The Massey ratings probably do just use the 3 calculations. However, the Massey Composite incorporates a boatload of other rankings to form an overall composite ranking.

Everyone on this thread besides Convert understands that.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

Guest #1Stunner
4 hours ago, Tulsa Guy said:

The Navy/Wichita State deal has worked out well for AAC.  An AFA/VCU deal would probably match it.

Aresco, in his remarks in that interview you just posted, also stated that "no school is too far away if they are football only."   Sad to say, you know how this expansion business works.  Fear is used to create a stampede. If one MWC school learns another MWC school is talking to Aresco, then other MWC schools might jump in too.  Its an ugly process.  I hated it for Tulsa, even though Tulsa got lucky and landed on its feet.

If you could choose a top candidate from the MWC to join the AAC, who would you choose?

Maybe Wyoming?

6 hours ago, Posturedoc said:

Hoisted on his own petard. Again. Is it even worth being civil to someone as serially obtuse and dense as he is?

Hey, if I don’t know a lot about a certain subject and are looking into it, at least I admit. Compare that to your often elitist ego inspired desires as Captain Crack Back on the sinking ship Exquisite Killer Ego to stay with it rather than admit you were wrong and take a lifeboat seat. 😂😂😂

kat.jpg

3 hours ago, KingBronco said:

I'm pretty sure AFA would actually travel significantly more miles in the AAC then they do in the MWC. I would guess they are more likely to go indy than join the AAC...although I would be pretty shocked if they actually left the MWC anytime soon.

I totally agree. I’m sure they’ve been looking at going Indy and analyzing how it’s worked for Army, Navy and BYU in the certain years they’ve been Indy. The decision for Navy to join the AAC and the benefits over staying Indy will obviously be looked at. It’s not hard to see that Navy is a much better geographical fit than AF, but nothing is going to lessen their travel very much. They would travel significantly more as an Indy or an AAC member than they would in the MWC. 

Service academies have a big advantage in scheduling because of the respect and high standing they have in our culture. It’s doubtful the Marine Corp. Flag Football Team will ever move up to FBS, but what’s sure to be the powerhouse Space Force in about 10 years will also be a good candidate to compete as an Indy. 

kat.jpg

24 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

How could you possibly be that dumb? I just stated above that I was referring to the MASSEY RATINGS, not the MASSEY COMPOSITE. I hadn’t even gotten to the composite yet. 

Yes, how can you possibly be this dumb? RSF Posted:

On 11/11/2019 at 3:10 PM, RSF said:

You picked a bad year to try to make this argument.  The numbers are in the AACs favor.  This year.

https://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

Note: he posted a link to the MASSEY COMPOSITE. He did not mention the Massey rating at all, that was your dumb ass that did that in response to the above post:

7 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

Massey uses only the following to calculate it's ratings:

- Game Score
- Venue
- Date of Game

I'm surprised anyone gives Massey any attention at all. The AAC scores a lot of points and doesn't have much defense. Are the high scores bumping the AAC up higher? Probably so, but we'll never know because he doesn't tell how he uses the 3 variables. 

Take the loss.

You were given a link to the Massey Composite, assumed it was something else, and then started calling everyone else dumb because you didn't understand it.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

1 hour ago, Mano said:

Yes, how can you possibly be this dumb? RSF Posted:

Note: he posted a link to the MASSEY COMPOSITE. He did not mention the Massey rating at all, that was your dumb ass that did that in response to the above post:

Take the loss.

You were given a link to the Massey Composite, assumed it was something else, and then started calling everyone else dumb because you didn't understand it.

I think the best part of this thread was watching @Nevada Convert huff and puff telling everyone he was preparing some top shelf write-up/analysis to educate everyone after @RSF’s initial link.. Classic.

9 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

That's ridiculous. I'll post an analysis shortly to show that's not the case. 

Waiting...

This thread is convert at his finest. Pure gold. It's hard to believe anyone could be this clueless but convert continues to show he is up to the challenge.

14 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

You have to have 12 full members, though.  BYU has refused the AAC's requests to join.

So, you are going to need to add a 12th school.   Is the MWC the top target?  Maybe AFA?

If not, you'll need to look at CUSA or the MAC.   Maybe Marshall?   They have stated that they'd love to be in the AAC.

The AAC has never requested anyone to join that hasn’t.  And no, Boise was invited to the Big East, not the American.  That will not happen again.

10 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

If you could choose a top candidate from the MWC to join the AAC, who would you choose?

Maybe Wyoming?

Colorado State, with its new football stadium, is frustrated by MWC's late night starts.  CSU might be the MWC school that would join AAC.  Who knows?  It would be very ironic if CSU, the school of Airport Al, joined the AAC.

Here's why Colorado State Football's late starts are out of CSU's control,

The Coloradoan, by Kelly Levell, October 2, 2019

Athletic Director Joe Parker would prefer Colorado State play its homecoming football game against San Diego State on Saturday afternoon instead of 8PM.

He'd even be willing to give up some of the $1.1 million CSU receives from the Mountain West's national tv deals with CBS-Sports Network and ESPN to make that happen.

CSU, though, is in the minority when it comes to that tradeoff, commissioner Craig Thompson said Monday.

"We're knee deep in negotiations with everybody and anybody, and one thing is perfectly clear.  The later we kick and the more frequently we play on Thursdays and Fridays, the more rights fees they will pay us," Thompson said.

Hawaii, a football only member of the MWC, is not part of the conference's TV package, Thompson said.  Thompson said Hawaii earns about $2.3 million a year for pay-per-view broadcasts of its games throughout the Hawaiian islands.

Thompson expects the new media rights deals to generate more money than the current contracts but not enough to match what Hawaii earns under its current deal.