Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

East Coast Bias on AAC & MWC Rankings This Year

There's always been the east coast bias, but it's horribly bad this year. We've beaten 9 P5's and some good G5's, yet the MWC isn't getting any bump out of it. They act like it's just another year while the AAC has been given tons of benefit of the doubt. 4 schools in the Top 25 when the PAC-12 has 2, and we have 1 (2 in last weeks AP). Wyoming and AF should be ranked, no doubt about it. We really do need more bowl tie-ins with the AAC to solve this, but P6 has other options, I guess. 

kat.jpg

They deserve all the credit they got, Wyoming f’ed it up for us once again by losing to a 3 win AAC Tulsa team. Wins those games first then  cry about.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

I basically agree with Bow on this however we must hope that Navy does NOT beat ND. If they do the AAC may have more than 4 teams in the rankings. I don't think the chances are great for Navy however they have a very small chance of winning.

My greatest regret for this season is our western division falling apart.

4 minutes ago, 1066 said:

I basically agree with Bow on this however we must hope that Navy does NOT beat ND. If they do the AAC may have more than 4 teams in the rankings. I don't think the chances are great for Navy however they have a very small chance of winning.

My greatest regret for this season is our western division falling apart.

Navy is already one of the 4 in the rankings.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

The only MW team worthy of the top 25 is Boise, and I think the AAC teams deserve it at this point. A lot of them will knock each other out, but as of now the rankings are fine.

The MW is deep this year, but we don't have that much firepower at the top.

AAC doesn't have 4 teams I would call the best 25, but you can't penalize them for not losing games.  If they did, and we were fine with that, it negates our argument of being overlooked in favor of the P5.  I know we mock them for P6, but them having teams ranked continues to show that their is parity between the haves and have-nots.  And AAC is undeniably still in the latter class.

I dunno...AAC teams beat a couple of our "better" teams AND the fact that one of their "lesser" teams, USF, beat BYU - as did Toledo! - who beat Boise State and Utah State (yes, I know...transitive logic doesn't prove anything, but it does matter perceptually) and I can easily see the AAC being viewed significantly better and hence higher ranked than the MWC.  That's not East Coast bias in my mind at all.

And as I said in another thread, Boise State this season has a lot of heart, but is significantly flawed and wouldn't fare well against a top P5 program in an NY6 Bowl and I think that's fairly evident to the Committee, given Boise State's struggles against various teams this year. 

Who do you want ranked out of the MWC this year besides Boise State?  San Diego State #nevadassuperbowl?  Air Force?  Maybe, but they've got two losses - one more than any of the ranked AAC teams - including one to Navy, the lowest ranked of the ranked AAC teams. 

Guest #1Stunner

The AAC has been pretty clear that they want a 12th team (and possibly 2 more after that). 

They believe that if they can somehow add the biggest G5 prize out there---Boise State---that they will have achieved their dream of P6 status.

So far Boise has resisted their flirtations, and stayed loyal to the MWC, and their Mountain Division rivals.  But it will be interesting to see what the new MWC TV deal pays out and if it causes Boise to have a wandering eye.  Really odd that the MWC, Boise, and BYU TV deals haven't been announced yet.

49 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

The AAC has been pretty clear that they want a 12th team (and possibly 2 more after that). 

They believe that if they can somehow add the biggest G5 prize out there---Boise State---that they will have achieved their dream of P6 status.

So far Boise has resisted their flirtations, and stayed loyal to the MWC, and their Mountain Division rivals.  But it will be interesting to see what the new MWC TV deal pays out and if it causes Boise to have a wandering eye.  Really odd that the MWC, Boise, and BYU TV deals haven't been announced yet.

First of all, Boise isn’t the biggest g5 prize.  Second of all, the aac doesn’t want them.  Third of all, Boise doesn’t want the aac, they get what they want in the mwc.  Fourth of all, the aac can acquire whatever g5 team they want, the fact they haven’t means that either there aren’t  any g5 teams they want or that they’re waiting til the offseason to make a move.  Finally, they don’t want another fb team unless they improve the product.  That limits the options, there will likely be a basketball addition but not football.  

Guest #1Stunner
2 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

First of all, Boise isn’t the biggest g5 prize.  

Second of all, the aac doesn’t want them.  

Third of all, Boise doesn’t want the aac, they get what they want in the mwc.  

Fourth of all, the aac can acquire whatever g5 team they want, the fact they haven’t means that either there aren’t  any g5 teams they want or that they’re waiting til the offseason to make a move.

Finally, they don’t want another fb team unless they improve the product.  That limits the options, there will likely be a basketball addition but not football.  

Disagree.

Boise is the best G5 school in the Country.  They are the only G5 school to whom ESPN is willing to give a separate TV contract.  No other G5 football program is close to Boise's dominance.

Right now the AAC is desperate to find a 12th team.  The AAC commissioner even traveled to Utah and appeared on BYUtv and all of the local radio stations, all but begging BYU to join.  Why did Aresco feel the need to appear on BYUtv only 1 week after UConn left?!?  He was desperate!   BYU turned the AAC down (again).

that leaves Boise.  I don't think Boise will accept the AAC's overtures unless they sweeten the deal.   Right now, the AAC has an attendance problem, so I don't see it happening.

The AAC has 11 teams, and only got a 2 year waiver.  They will try and add Boise over the next 2 years...if they can't, they will have to settle for a CUSA school!!!

3 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

First of all, Boise isn’t the biggest g5 prize.  Second of all, the aac doesn’t want them.  Third of all, Boise doesn’t want the aac, they get what they want in the mwc.  Fourth of all, the aac can acquire whatever g5 team they want, the fact they haven’t means that either there aren’t  any g5 teams they want or that they’re waiting til the offseason to make a move.  Finally, they don’t want another fb team unless they improve the product.  That limits the options, there will likely be a basketball addition but not football.  

On the first bolded piece, I'd be very curious as to who out there you think is a better G5 prize who isn't presently in the AAC. There isn't a G5 team in the country that has a resume that compares to BSU's this century. This isn't opinion. It's easily verifiable fact based on any metric anybody would care to pick whether it is NY6 bowl wins, top-25 finishes, conference championships, overall record, etc.

As for the second bolded piece, this is easily disproved by recent history: BSU and SDSU backed out of their agreement to join the AAC when the AAC backed out of their commitment to create a true western division.

As for the third bolded piece, see my comments on the first bolded piece. 

Nope.

Not that there isn't an East coast bias, but at this point in the season MWC teams with 2 or 3 losses and no marquee wins or a bad loss just aren't going to get ranked. I don't believe any AAC teams fitting that profile are ranked either.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

23 hours ago, RSF said:

You picked a bad year to try to make this argument.  The numbers are in the AACs favor.  This year.

https://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

Massey uses only the following to calculate it's ratings:

- Game Score
- Venue
- Date of Game

I'm surprised anyone gives Massey any attention at all. The AAC scores a lot of points and doesn't have much defense. Are the high scores bumping the AAC up higher? Probably so, but we'll never know because he doesn't tell how he uses the 3 variables. 

kat.jpg

3 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

Massey uses only the following to calculate it's ratings:

- Game Score
- Venue
- Date of Game

I'm surprised anyone gives Massey any attention at all. The AAC scores a lot of points and doesn't have much defense. Are the high scores bumping the AAC up higher? Probably so, but we'll never know because he doesn't tell how he uses the 3 variables. 

Wrong.  The Massey Composite uses 99 different ratings calculations and polls.  And every single one of those 99 has the AAC ahead of the MWC this year, just like most had them reversed last year.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

51 minutes ago, Mano said:

Nope.

Not that there isn't an East coast bias, but at this point in the season MWC teams with 2 or 3 losses and no marquee wins or a bad loss just aren't going to get ranked. I don't believe any AAC teams fitting that profile are ranked either.

That's ridiculous. I'll post an analysis shortly to show that's not the case. 

kat.jpg