Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Eating while black is illegal in California

Just now, NMpackalum said:

Are you "Brown"?  Well, I am and it's people like you that have the audacity to tell me what I should be offended by that is irritating. I think us downtrodden can think well enough to figure out what to be offended by. Thank you for your concern.

Are you new here?

17 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

This is the same department where the cop shot the black dude laying on his stomach and handcuffed on a platform in Oakland about 10 years ago. The officer’s excuse was that he thought he had his taser in his hand. Why he needs to taser the guy was a mystery based on the video. 

It’s clear the entire department is retarded.  It should be disbanded. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 minute ago, AndroidAggie said:

so, fun question: is the man eating the sandwich at all in the right for resisting arrest?

I don’t see him resisting arrest though.  He’s asking for the officer to let go of his property, multiple times, and eating his delicious breakfast sandwich.  He’s not fighting the officer, doesn’t put his hands on him.  Is he being uncooperative, sure, but I would be as well if I was being harassed for eating a breakfast sandwich.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

That person, like all other BART passengers, submitted to the BART PD's jurisdiction the moment they went through to the station gates.

When you ask Big Daddy Government for a ride on his train, you shouldn't be surprised when you get the big daddy government treatment.  And G*d knows if Bay Area ppl  have shown one thing it's that they love them some big government authority and services, so not sure what all the fuss is about.  This is what they voted for.

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

50 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

This is the same department where the cop shot the black dude laying on his stomach and handcuffed on a platform in Oakland about 10 years ago. The officer’s excuse was that he thought he had his taser in his hand. Why he needs to taser the guy was a mystery based on the video. 

Oscar Grant at Fruitvale.

The BART cops are brutal, power hungry little rat bastards by and large.

57 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I don’t see him resisting arrest though.  He’s asking for the officer to let go of his property, multiple times, and eating his delicious breakfast sandwich.  He’s not fighting the officer, doesn’t put his hands on him.  Is he being uncooperative, sure, but I would be as well if I was being harassed for eating a breakfast sandwich.  

hm.

i'm not sure what to think.  cops deserve the basic respect of you complying with their orders provided those orders are reasonable like "come with me down to the station.  you are being detained."  i'm generally of the opinion that you need to comply to allow cooler heads to prevail and then later on, after demonstrating a desire to be compliant, you can demonstrate the stupidity of the entire affair.  that eating a sandwich on the platform, an outdoor platform at that, is hardly worth the time it takes for both of them to re-arrange their day.  

having a cop turn around in the middle of the incident and say "oh yeah you're right, i am being stupid here and i shouldn't enforce the law" is just not going to happen.

3 minutes ago, AndroidAggie said:

hm.

i'm not sure what to think.  cops deserve the basic respect of you complying with their orders provided those orders are reasonable like "come with me down to the station.  you are being detained."  i'm generally of the opinion that you need to comply to allow cooler heads to prevail and then later on, after demonstrating a desire to be compliant, you can demonstrate the stupidity of the entire affair.  that eating a sandwich on the platform, an outdoor platform at that, is hardly worth the time it takes for both of them to re-arrange their day.  

having a cop turn around in the middle of the incident and say "oh yeah you're right, i am being stupid here and i shouldn't enforce the law" is just not going to happen.

Sure but being detained for eating a breakfast sandwich?  Seriously, where’s the crime?  

2 minutes ago, AndroidAggie said:

hm.

Exactly, once an officer makes contact, they and only they, are in control of the outcome.

1 hour ago, AndroidAggie said:

so, fun question: is the man eating the sandwich at all in the right for resisting arrest?

For simply being Black and eating a sandwich? Yes.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

34 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Sure but being detained for eating a breakfast sandwich?  Seriously, where’s the crime?  

well, common sense aside...  the law is that "thou shalt not eat thine sandwich upon ye olde platforme"

when the officer starts down the path of enforcing the law, if we want to support the notion of the rule of law, we comply, are arrested, and make our case after the fact.  even if it's completely stupid.  not agreeing to comply with the law even if it's completely stupid is saying we don't support the notion of the rule of law.  even if/when it's stupid.

5 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

For simply being Black and eating a sandwich? Yes.

i think the way in which he demonstrates his point is just as valid as the point itself.  if i were him i'd sit down and make him drag me off.  complete 100% nonviolent resistance.  and then i'd bring the full weight of the law down on that department for wasting absolutely everyone's time.

but i'm not the guy withe sandwich and i ain't black.

1 minute ago, renoskier said:

How about for being stupid?

Not how I'd choose to ruin my day, and no doubt a few more days down the road.

I'm glad he did it. This to me is a form of civil disobedience against ridiculous and unnecessary policing. 

2 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I'm glad he did it. This to me is a form of civil disobedience against ridiculous and unnecessary policing. 

he absolutely was civil about it.  i'll grant him that.  what a waste of everyone's time.  especially the man just trying to get to work.

1 minute ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Would you do it?

Not me, I'm not going to ruin my day for a breakfast sandwich. 

We don't know, maybe it was his intention to draw attention to a stupid law. Maybe that's why we don't see the entire interaction :shrug:

Just now, renoskier said:

Would you do it?

Not me, I'm not going to ruin my day for a breakfast sandwich. 

We don't know, maybe it was his intention to draw attention to a stupid law. Maybe that's why we don't see the entire interaction :shrug:

Hell yeah I would. But I doubt if I were wearing a Bernie 2020 shirt and had an ID with my White dad's Palo Alto address that I would have been detained, arrested, or much less even bothered.