Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BleedRebelRed

Rivalry Week is here. For now UNLV's Super Bowl is still the Wolf Pack game

Which win is most important for Jay Norvell's career?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which win is most important for Jay Norvell's career?

• Nevada's 2019 bowl game (assuming they get the bid)
    • UNLV
  2. 2. If you are a Wolf Pack fan, if you could WIN only one, which would it be?

• UNLV game
    • Bowl game
    • I'm not a Pack fan, but @mugtang's site makes me enter something for every question.

Saturday afternoon the internet and social media filters for "UNLV" started lighting up after the SDSU/Nevada game.

The general theme was Wolf Pack fans saying "We're definitely buying tickets to the UNLV game".

So that raises the question, assuming that the Pack do get an invite now that they are bowl-eligible, which game is the more important one to win, the UNLV game or the bowl game?

If Norvell loses the UNLV game he becomes Brian naPolian 2.0 in Reno for a while.

But when he is being looked at for other coaching jobs, the UNLV game will just be a speck on his record and the bowl will be what matters.

For his career winning a bowl game is more important.  I don’t think winning against a rival is important as far as his career moves (unless he loses the game and it costs him his job). As a fan beating UNLV is more important to me personally than winning a bowl game against a G5 team, unless we happen to be playing a P5 team (in the cheezit bowl for example which CBS projects us as a participant right now). 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Maybe I should have also added: If you are a UNLV fan, which would you choose...

• Beat Hawaii & SJSU, lose to the Wolf Pack
  • Lose to Hawaii & SJSU, beat the Wolf Pack

I just don't know if either of those two choices would have had any realistic possibility.

Just now, BleedRebelRed said:

Maybe I should have also added: If you are a UNLV fan, which would you choose...

• Beat Hawaii & SJSU, lose to the Wolf Pack
  • Lose to Hawaii & SJSU, beat the Wolf Pack

I just don't know if either of those two choices would have had any realistic possibility.

You can add that to the poll pretty easily.  Just edit your topic.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

5 hours ago, Mad_Hatter said:

Beat the Runnin’ Sam Elliots!

Head-Color-2017.png

That's harsh.  That logo was only active for 18 months, and has not been authorized since December 2018... however a Target I went into last week still had plenty of items that used it.

Speaking of misleading logos... there is a difference between a wolf and a weasel:

wolf.jpg

weasel.jpg

Will Sanchez have the Rebels wear the throwback helmets that the guys on NevadaSportsNetwork had so much fake outrage over?  (The guy who moved to Nevada recently from Florida and the guy who moved here 20 years ago from Cali).  Those same "journalists" reportedly just said that this rivalry is one of the oldest in the sport, so take that Wyoming/CSU.

Just heard@NevadaSportsNet call the Nevada-UNLV rivalry “one of the oldest rivalries in the game.” Seriously? Seriously!?!? It’s a good rivalry, but to call it “one of the oldest” completely neglects history of college football and that UNLV football’s first season was 1968.

Throwback.jpg

2 hours ago, NevadaAllStar said:

Question about streaming for those of us who can’t make the game: the streaming feed is for those who are not in the “broadcast area”, any idea how to figure out what that area is?

The link that UNLV football's site gives for the game is:

https://tunein.com/radio/UNLV-Football-s230340/

The game is on AT&T SportsNet and I don't get any message there about broadcast area limitations, but I suspect at game time that might come up.

My interpretation of AT&T's region system is that since it's being broadcast to all three of these regions then we might be out of luck trying to stream it anywhere on the west coast.

UNLVatNevada.PNG

RMregion.PNG

9 hours ago, BleedRebelRed said:

Will Sanchez have the Rebels wear the throwback helmets that the guys on NevadaSportsNetwork had so much fake outrage over?  (The guy who moved to Nevada recently from Florida and the guy who moved here 20 years ago from Cali).  Those same "journalists" reportedly just said that this rivalry is one of the oldest in the sport, so take that Wyoming/CSU.

Just heard@NevadaSportsNet call the Nevada-UNLV rivalry “one of the oldest rivalries in the game.” Seriously? Seriously!?!? It’s a good rivalry, but to call it “one of the oldest” completely neglects history of college football and that UNLV football’s first season was 1968.

Throwback.jpg

I love all the fake outrage over the fake outrage. Vegas is full of journalists that have moved there from somewhere else with no concept of the history of the rivalry, so none of that moves the needle for me. 

1 hour ago, Slapdad said:

I love all the fake outrage over the fake outrage. Vegas is full of journalists that have moved there from somewhere else with no concept of the history of the rivalry, so none of that moves the needle for me. 

Nah, Ray Brewer grew up here and went to Chapparel, (he’s definitely on UNR’s ass all the time, lol, most vocal of all of them about it), and Adam Hill went to high school here as well. Ron Futrell has been pretty quiet lately,  but he’s been here forever. 

But Cofield did come here several (20 maybe?) years ago from NJ, so you nailed that one.  :cheers:

8 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Nah, Ray Brewer grew up here and went to Chapparel, (he’s definitely on UNR’s ass all the time, lol, most vocal of all of them about it), and Adam Hill went to high school here as well. Ron Futrell has been pretty quiet lately,  but he’s been here forever. 

But Cofield did come here several (20 maybe?) years ago from NJ, so you nailed that one.  :cheers:

There's only four journalists in Vegas? 

Those UNLV throwback helmets are outstanding.

UNR should ditch the marmot as the logo they have currently and go back to that old school wolf with a top hat logo instead.

18 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Those UNLV throwback helmets are outstanding.

UNR should ditch the marmot as the logo they have currently and go back to that old school wolf with a top hat logo instead.

Nevada is currently using the "Pack" script on their helmets. :blink: