Jump to content
BSUTOP25

OT: UCF is absolute garbage. They’d be a .500 team in the MWC.

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, utenation said:

Well, that's not what you said. I gave you exactly what you said. This whole "P6" campaign is nothing more than delusional conference Kool-Aid vomited out to try and keep your conference relevant.. Just like UCF's claim to national championships..

The AAC is clearly no better off than the MWC in perception and revenue.. And light years away from being a power conference.

 

 

 

Let's wait and see how the MWC TV contract comes out before making statements about revenue. And as far as perception, it was a good thing that Boise State found a way to finally put Wyoming away in over time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Tulsa Guy said:

No.  AAC is not P5.  AAC is not G5.  AAC is P6.

P6 signs are free national advertising to keep AAC in the spot light, which it has done.

This is equivalent to the country of Uganda claiming they are an international super power. 

You guys just don’t get it. If your conference was as good as you claim, you wouldn’t be over here arguing with MWC fans on how good you are. The numbers and data would speak for itself.

  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, utenation said:

This is equivalent to the country of Uganda claiming they are an international super power. 

You guys just don’t get it. If your conference was as good as you claim, you wouldn’t be over here arguing with MWC fans on how good you are. The numbers and data would speak for itself.

I am not arguing.  I didn't start this preposterous thread with its preposterous title.  Obviously, by the title of the thread, Aresco P6 campaign has gotten attention, the original goal of the branding.  The numbers and data do speak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Tulsa Guy said:

I am not arguing.  I didn't start this preposterous thread with its preposterous title.  Obviously, by the title of the thread, Aresco P6 campaign has gotten attention, the original goal of the branding.  The numbers and data do speak.

Yeah, clearly you don't have a MWC agenda.. That's why you have nearly 700 posts on this board.. Just a friendly fan passing through right? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2019 at 12:30 PM, Wyobraska said:

Beating Florida twice will not make UCF anything close to the premier Florida program.

Miami >>> UCF

FSU >>> UCF (maybe) 

I'd agree with you. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, utenation said:

Yeah, clearly you don't have a MWC agenda.. That's why you have nearly 700 posts on this board.. Just a friendly fan passing through right? 

And with this post, we are done. It's clear they are only here to convince themselves that their league is better. Notice I didn't say team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, utenation said:

Yeah, clearly you don't have a MWC agenda.. That's why you have nearly 700 posts on this board.. Just a friendly fan passing through right? 

I have explained this many times before.  The Denver Airport meeting put Tulsa's and other schools athletic programs at risk.  What the heck is this?  Invite schools and then two years later destroy the conference.  It is emblematic of the poor decision making that has pervaded the MWC ever since.

MWC signed a TV contract only to be surprised later that ESPN had the right to move their start times to 8PM or later.  MWC officials didn't even read the contract they signed!  I believe BYU hired an attorney to review the contract to see if MWC could get out of its obligations.  Too late!  The horse had left the barn.  How can one be so dumb as not to read the contract you are signing?

The decisions made in the Denver Airiport will forever define the MWC.  The MWC ignored WIchita State and pursued Gonzaga instead.  We all know how that played out.  And the PAC just kicked MWC out of the Las Vegas Bowl.

Next door Big 8, with powerhouses Oklahoma and Nebraska, knew they could not survive in the coming world of tv dollars....dependent upon a large population base.  SEC had already started this 12 team, two division thing that is causing all the problems today.  It took college sports that was at one time more open....to a junior NFL.  And here were the Denver Airport boyz going the opposite direction to downsizing to a smaller population base???

It apparently didn't dawn on Airport Al and the Boyz that their greatest problem for them was sitting across the table in the Denver Airport, Utah U and BYU.  The PAC had 10 teams.  Everyone was going to 12 teams.  How naive (make that stupid) can you get?

So, afterwards, I have been watching the MWC to see how this all plays out.  When the MWC TV contract is announced, the final answer will come in.

It is ironic that two of the Boyz, CSU and AFA, are now stating that maybe MWC is not a good fit.

No one knows how life will turn out.  I thought Tulsa's football program was sunk after the Denver Airport Conference. If Tulsa didn't get into a quality conference, the TU sports program would slide down the tubes.  For Tulsa, we want (like OU and OSU) to be with the Texas Schools.  The name of the conference is irrelevant.  Tulsa played as an independent and it doesn't work.  Never ever did I envision that Tulsa would land on its feet and be part of a wonderful conference that is continually getting better and better. 

So, thank you Airport Al.  And thank you Boise State for the $1.8M cash grab. If it weren't for your combined stupidity, greed, and arrogance, Tulsa would not be in AAC, a P6 conference and the best conference Tulsa has ever been in.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Tulsa Guy said:

I have explained this many times before.  The Denver Airport meeting put Tulsa's and other schools athletic programs at risk.  What the heck is this?  Invite schools and then two years later destroy the conference.  It is emblematic of the poor decision making that has pervaded the MWC ever since.

MWC signed a TV contract only to be surprised later that ESPN had the right to move their start times to 8PM or later.  MWC officials didn't even read the contract they signed!  I believe BYU hired an attorney to review the contract to see if MWC could get out of its obligations.  Too late!  The horse had left the barn.  How can one be so dumb as not to read the contract you are signing?

The decisions made in the Denver Airiport will forever define the MWC.  The MWC ignored WIchita State and pursued Gonzaga instead.  We all know how that played out.  And the PAC just kicked MWC out of the Las Vegas Bowl.

Next door Big 8, with powerhouses Oklahoma and Nebraska, knew they could not survive in the coming world of tv dollars....dependent upon a large population base.  SEC had already started this 12 team, two division thing that is causing all the problems today.  It took college sports that was at one time more open....to a junior NFL.  And here were the Denver Airport boyz going the opposite direction to downsizing to a smaller population base???

It apparently didn't dawn on Airport Al and the Boyz that their greatest problem for them was sitting across the table in the Denver Airport, Utah U and BYU.  The PAC had 10 teams.  Everyone was going to 12 teams.  How naive (make that stupid) can you get?

So, afterwards, I have been watching the MWC to see how this all plays out.  When the MWC TV contract is announced, the final answer will come in.

It is ironic that two of the Boyz, CSU and AFA, are now stating that maybe MWC is not a good fit.

No one knows how life will turn out.  I thought Tulsa's football program was sunk after the Denver Airport Conference. If Tulsa didn't get into a quality conference, the TU sports program would slide down the tubes.  For Tulsa, we want (like OU and OSU) to be with the Texas Schools.  The name of the conference is irrelevant.  Tulsa played as an independent and it doesn't work.  Never ever did I envision that Tulsa would land on its feet and be part of a wonderful conference that is continually getting better and better. 

So, thank you Airport Al.  And thank you Boise State for the $1.8M cash grab. If it weren't for your combined stupidity, greed, and arrogance, Tulsa would not be in AAC, a P6 conference and the best conference Tulsa has ever been in.

 

Wow. I learn something every day.. I wasn't even aware Tulsa had an athletic department..

  • Cheers 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, utenation said:

Wow. I learn something every day.. I wasn't even aware Tulsa had an athletic department..

Most people in Tulsa arent either.

  • Cheers 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2019 at 11:00 PM, Spaztecs said:

UCF is not as good this year, but they were the top dogs the last two seasons. That is more than I can say for all the other G5 squads.

I hate to defend UCF, so I won't. They do have a pretty good program going now, and I think this thread is a bit extreme. Tulsa is way underrated per their record. UCF was clicking to start the season, but have really dropped off. 

But back to my east coast bias thread, UCF and the entire AAC is over-rated and the MWC under-rated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tulsa Guy said:

 Obviously, by the title of the thread, Aresco P6 campaign has gotten attention, the original goal of the branding. 

Aresco sounds like Bernie Madoff trying to bring Enron back to credible life...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, utenation said:

Wow. I learn something every day.. I wasn't even aware Tulsa had an athletic department..

Hope you learn to read contracts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, utenation said:

Aresco sounds like Bernie Madoff trying to bring Enron back to credible life...

You are confusing Aresco with Airport Al.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

each PAC-12 school made $31.3 million last year (he didn't single out only TV revenue) and the PAC-12's rights are up for bid again in 2024

Then if your using total conference payout, the AAC schools will be making around 9-10 million each in total revenue in 2020.  That means the Pac12 would be making roughly 3X the AAC revenue---nowhere near the 7X figure the poster claimed.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RSF said:

Yes.  Google is your friend.

 

Pac 12's last announced total revenue was 497 million.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/26789936/pac-12-revenue-drops-school-payouts-rise

AAC's last announced total revenue was 78 million. 

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-sp-aac-revenue-20190528-soaqvvemgfhlhgo2tpswdctdrm-story.html

 

Both numbers are from May of this year for the last reported year (17-18).

 

 

Ok...my apologies.  It's not 7 times.  It's 6.4 times.  You have my most sincere apology for the false information.  the overall point still stands - the AAC is a minnow compared to the power 5 conferences.  And that's not changing.  The AAC will get a decent bump (for them) from the new media deal - which doesnt start for another year.  But its still chump change compared to the power conferences.  And in the meantime the Pac 12 revenues will continue to grow as well.  And the AAC is now locked in for 12 years.

 

 

That must be before Pac12 Network expenses.  The per team payout per that article is only 31.3 million---meaning conference operations soaked up 121.4 million.  Much of that has to be costs associated with the network.   At any rate, the AAC currently averaging around 5 million a team in conference payout.   But in 2020, that will rise to around 9-10 a team.   When you look at per team payouts its only going to be about 3X more than the AAC makes in 2020.  

That said, I like the P6 narrative, but I see it as more of a marketing program.  The AAC isnt at a P5 level---but I do think its making progress and the P6 marketing has caught on enough with the talking heads that it helps drive consumer awareness (which helps imrpove attendance, ratings, image, perception, etc).    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, CaffeinatedCoog said:

That must be before Pac12 Network expenses.  The per team payout per that article is only 31.3 million---meaning conference operations soaked up 121.4 million.  Much of that has to be costs associated with the network.   At any rate, the AAC currently averaging around 5 million a team in conference payout.   But in 2020, that will rise to around 9-10 a team.   When you look at per team payouts its only going to be about 3X more than the AAC makes in 2020.  

That said, I like the P6 narrative, but I see it as more of a marketing program.  The AAC isnt at a P5 level---but I do think its making progress and the P6 marketing has caught on enough with the talking heads that it helps drive consumer awareness (which helps imrpove attendance, ratings, image, perception, etc).    

 

No matter what they say, USF will always be San Francisco in my book.  Not some directional Florida school.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, CaffeinatedCoog said:

Then if your using total conference payout, the AAC schools will be making around 9-10 million each in total revenue in 2020.  That means the Pac12 would be making roughly 3X the AAC revenue---nowhere near the 7X figure the poster claimed.   

It wasnt a claim but a verified fact.  Yours is a claim...and its flawed. The Pac 12 numbers will continue to rise as well.  Their tier 1 media revenue alone goes up 12 million each year.  A 6% rise has been the historical benchmark, which for them would be 30 million.  And the AAC media deal will not start at 84 million the 1st year.  Thats the 12 yr average.  All the media deals are graduated.  The 84 million wont happen until year 6...by which time the Pac 12 will have a whole new deal.  And the gap will grow further, not shrink.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RSF said:

Wrong again.  The Pac 12 numbers will continue to rise as well.  Their tier 1 media revenue alone goes up 12 million each year.  A 6% rise has been the historical benchmark, which for them would be 30 million.  And the AAC media will not start at 84 million the 1st year.  All the media deals are graduated.  The 84 million wont happen until year 6...by which time the Pac 12 will have a whole new deal.  And the gap will grow further, not shrink.

Wrong.  The gap will shrink---certainly in year one of the new AAC deal.  All deals are graduated, so the gap will stay generally similar throughout the current deals.  That said, I agree with you that all bets are off when the Pac12 does their next deal.  

  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, CaffeinatedCoog said:

Wrong.  The gap will shrink---certainly in year one of the new AAC deal.  All deals are graduated, so the gap will stay generally similar throughout the current deals. 

Your numbers dont work.  For the AAC deal to rise 12 million a year to match the Pac 12, it would have to start at 0-12 million for the 1st year.  Aint happening.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Btw...the Pac 12 holds back revenue each year as a sort of rainy day fund for years when revenue doesnt meet expectations and in those years when the Rose Bowl revenue isnt available.  They can afford to do that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×