Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

OT: UCF is absolute garbage. They’d be a .500 team in the MWC.

On 11/8/2019 at 11:00 PM, Spaztecs said:

UCF is not as good this year, but they were the top dogs the last two seasons. That is more than I can say for all the other G5 squads.

I hate to defend UCF, so I won't. They do have a pretty good program going now, and I think this thread is a bit extreme. Tulsa is way underrated per their record. UCF was clicking to start the season, but have really dropped off. 

But back to my east coast bias thread, UCF and the entire AAC is over-rated and the MWC under-rated. 

kat.jpg

5 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

each PAC-12 school made $31.3 million last year (he didn't single out only TV revenue) and the PAC-12's rights are up for bid again in 2024

Then if your using total conference payout, the AAC schools will be making around 9-10 million each in total revenue in 2020.  That means the Pac12 would be making roughly 3X the AAC revenue---nowhere near the 7X figure the poster claimed.   

5 hours ago, RSF said:

Yes.  Google is your friend.

Pac 12's last announced total revenue was 497 million.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/26789936/pac-12-revenue-drops-school-payouts-rise

AAC's last announced total revenue was 78 million. 

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-sp-aac-revenue-20190528-soaqvvemgfhlhgo2tpswdctdrm-story.html

Both numbers are from May of this year for the last reported year (17-18).

Ok...my apologies.  It's not 7 times.  It's 6.4 times.  You have my most sincere apology for the false information.  the overall point still stands - the AAC is a minnow compared to the power 5 conferences.  And that's not changing.  The AAC will get a decent bump (for them) from the new media deal - which doesnt start for another year.  But its still chump change compared to the power conferences.  And in the meantime the Pac 12 revenues will continue to grow as well.  And the AAC is now locked in for 12 years.

That must be before Pac12 Network expenses.  The per team payout per that article is only 31.3 million---meaning conference operations soaked up 121.4 million.  Much of that has to be costs associated with the network.   At any rate, the AAC currently averaging around 5 million a team in conference payout.   But in 2020, that will rise to around 9-10 a team.   When you look at per team payouts its only going to be about 3X more than the AAC makes in 2020.  

That said, I like the P6 narrative, but I see it as more of a marketing program.  The AAC isnt at a P5 level---but I do think its making progress and the P6 marketing has caught on enough with the talking heads that it helps drive consumer awareness (which helps imrpove attendance, ratings, image, perception, etc).    

27 minutes ago, CaffeinatedCoog said:

That must be before Pac12 Network expenses.  The per team payout per that article is only 31.3 million---meaning conference operations soaked up 121.4 million.  Much of that has to be costs associated with the network.   At any rate, the AAC currently averaging around 5 million a team in conference payout.   But in 2020, that will rise to around 9-10 a team.   When you look at per team payouts its only going to be about 3X more than the AAC makes in 2020.  

That said, I like the P6 narrative, but I see it as more of a marketing program.  The AAC isnt at a P5 level---but I do think its making progress and the P6 marketing has caught on enough with the talking heads that it helps drive consumer awareness (which helps imrpove attendance, ratings, image, perception, etc).    

No matter what they say, USF will always be San Francisco in my book.  Not some directional Florida school.

47 minutes ago, CaffeinatedCoog said:

Then if your using total conference payout, the AAC schools will be making around 9-10 million each in total revenue in 2020.  That means the Pac12 would be making roughly 3X the AAC revenue---nowhere near the 7X figure the poster claimed.   

It wasnt a claim but a verified fact.  Yours is a claim...and its flawed. The Pac 12 numbers will continue to rise as well.  Their tier 1 media revenue alone goes up 12 million each year.  A 6% rise has been the historical benchmark, which for them would be 30 million.  And the AAC media deal will not start at 84 million the 1st year.  Thats the 12 yr average.  All the media deals are graduated.  The 84 million wont happen until year 6...by which time the Pac 12 will have a whole new deal.  And the gap will grow further, not shrink.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

4 minutes ago, RSF said:

Wrong again.  The Pac 12 numbers will continue to rise as well.  Their tier 1 media revenue alone goes up 12 million each year.  A 6% rise has been the historical benchmark, which for them would be 30 million.  And the AAC media will not start at 84 million the 1st year.  All the media deals are graduated.  The 84 million wont happen until year 6...by which time the Pac 12 will have a whole new deal.  And the gap will grow further, not shrink.

Wrong.  The gap will shrink---certainly in year one of the new AAC deal.  All deals are graduated, so the gap will stay generally similar throughout the current deals.  That said, I agree with you that all bets are off when the Pac12 does their next deal.  

10 minutes ago, CaffeinatedCoog said:

Wrong.  The gap will shrink---certainly in year one of the new AAC deal.  All deals are graduated, so the gap will stay generally similar throughout the current deals. 

Your numbers dont work.  For the AAC deal to rise 12 million a year to match the Pac 12, it would have to start at 0-12 million for the 1st year.  Aint happening.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Btw...the Pac 12 holds back revenue each year as a sort of rainy day fund for years when revenue doesnt meet expectations and in those years when the Rose Bowl revenue isnt available.  They can afford to do that.

13 minutes ago, RSF said:

Your numbers dont work.  For the AAC deal to rise 12 million a year to match the Pac 12, it would have to start at 0-12 million for the 1st year.  Aint happening.

Doesnt have to as nobody is saying its equal.  Its always going to be roughly 3x behind.  You'll actually lose ground in real dollars-----but It will certainly be less than 10X behind---which is roughly where the AAC is now in terms of payout. lol...I didnt select "7X "as the method of comparison----somebody else did.    

7 minutes ago, RSF said:

Btw...the Pac 12 holds back revenue each year as a sort of rainy day fund for years when revenue doesnt meet expectations and in those years when the Rose Bowl revenue isnt available.  They can afford to do that.

.  lol---Yup----No G5 conference can afford to do that---Worrying about the years we dont get a 50 million dollar payout from one bowl is kind of a first world problem.   

On 11/10/2019 at 1:05 PM, Tulsa Guy said:

You guys are spoiled.   Oklahoma U ran wild with Bud WIlkerson and BSU ran wild with Peterson.  Those days are over with.  Good coaching, redshirting, the strength rooms, and the modern and up to date stadiums at all schools make it difficult to win each and every football game.  Kansas State beat OU and OU was very, very, very lucky to survive Iowa State this Saturday (just as BSU was fortunate to beat WY).  Remember when KSU and ISU were doormats not all that long ago?.

Enjoy your victory over Wyoming...the team fought for a hard earned victory.  That's definitely worth celebrating.

Lol... It's mostly sarcasm you twit... Take your Pollyanna bullshit* to a board where you understand the culture, and where those in the culture can actually stand you. 😊

Guest #1Stunner
3 hours ago, CaffeinatedCoog said:

Are you arguing that the AAC is equal to the PAC12!?!

3 hours ago, RSF said:

It wasnt a claim but a verified fact.  Yours is a claim...and its flawed. The Pac 12 numbers will continue to rise as well.  Their tier 1 media revenue alone goes up 12 million each year.  A 6% rise has been the historical benchmark, which for them would be 30 million.  And the AAC media deal will not start at 84 million the 1st year.  Thats the 12 yr average.  All the media deals are graduated.  The 84 million wont happen until year 6...by which time the Pac 12 will have a whole new deal.  And the gap will grow further, not shrink.

I think their whole conference starting from the top down is conditioned to use separate accounting and performance metrics from the rest of the world.

If the math doesn’t add up, just change the math and narrative and hope nobody notices and publish the material immediately for “branding”.

3 hours ago, CaffeinatedCoog said:

Doesnt have to as nobody is saying its equal.  Its always going to be roughly 3x behind.  You'll actually lose ground in real dollars-----but It will certainly be less than 10X behind---which is roughly where the AAC is now in terms of payout. lol...I didnt select "7X "as the method of comparison----somebody else did.    

I love how you are giving the AAC credit for a new contract and comparing those numbers but fail to acknowledge the P12 will also be getting a new contract in a few years and claim “its always going to be 3X behind”. Numbers you just don’t know but these media deals typically go up quite a bit for power conferences. 

I really hope you aren’t teaching 7th grade math somewhere because you really would be failing our youth. And I would hope the University of Houston isn’t turning out rocket scientists like yourself.

You really should just quit comparing yourself to power conferences. The AAC isn’t even on the radar.

12 hours ago, CaffeinatedCoog said:

The success of marketing campaign is based on performance metrics such as pipeline contribution, trackable influence, and measurable competitive brand positioning. Not by bullshit that people will look back on and ask "WTF were you thinking?" 

20190527_new-coke_CYMK_fullsize.jpg

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

18 hours ago, utenation said:

I'm reinforcing one thing. Your claim: "So the AAC is not only performing at the level/exceeding old Big East but the MWC with TCU, Utah, and BYU."

You are completely wrong here... Now you are saying the past is irrelevant... So make your mind up bubba.. Are you comparing the past or present? 

I mean, none of them are good teams....this is Utah’s best year in a really long time but the PAC is just plain not good-worse than the AAC by many measures.  If Utah plays Cincy or Memphis they will lose.  That’s money in the bank.  

18 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Question for the AAC fans:  @Did I hear a WOOSH?, @Tulsa Guy @UofMTigers

Are you guys (and all of the AAC fans) seriously arguing that the AAC has surpassed the PAC12 in national prestige, in football and basketball?   Why?

And why are the AAC fans fixated on the PAC12 for some reason?

My understanding is that the PAC12 and AAC both have poor fan attendance (Stanford is getting like 2,000 fans out per football game), but isn't the PAC12 still a lot higher than the AAC?

Oregon and Utah football are both ranked higher than any AAC team.  And Arizona basketball (thanks to cheating) is ranked higher than any AAC team.  So why are you guys fixated on the PAC12?

National prestige? No, clearly not.  Look at their undeserving rankings.  On the field product? Yes, they are garbage.  They might get more fans in the stands in enough games to average more as a conference but we both know that’s just because they’ve got more of the market share and bigger name inter conference opponents. It’s really not by that much either.  If UCF played Stanford or even Oregon every week at home instead of Tulsa and f’ing UConn they’d have expanded their stadium by now...though it’s coming anyway.