Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

OT: UCF is absolute garbage. They’d be a .500 team in the MWC.

2 hours ago, CaffeinatedCoog said:

The Pac12 makes 7 times what the AAC makes?  

Yes.  Google is your friend.

Pac 12's last announced total revenue was 497 million.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/26789936/pac-12-revenue-drops-school-payouts-rise

AAC's last announced total revenue was 78 million. 

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-sp-aac-revenue-20190528-soaqvvemgfhlhgo2tpswdctdrm-story.html

Both numbers are from May of this year for the last reported year (17-18).

Ok...my apologies.  It's not 7 times.  It's 6.4 times.  You have my most sincere apology for the false information.  the overall point still stands - the AAC is a minnow compared to the power 5 conferences.  And that's not changing.  The AAC will get a decent bump (for them) from the new media deal - which doesnt start for another year.  But its still chump change compared to the power conferences.  And in the meantime the Pac 12 revenues will continue to grow as well.  And the AAC is now locked in for 12 years.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

34 minutes ago, RSF said:

Yes.  Google is your friend.

Pac 12's last announced total revenue was 497 million.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/26789936/pac-12-revenue-drops-school-payouts-rise

AAC's last announced total revenue was 78 million. 

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-sp-aac-revenue-20190528-soaqvvemgfhlhgo2tpswdctdrm-story.html

Both numbers are from May of this year for the last reported year (17-18).

Ok...my apologies.  It's not 7 times.  It's 6.4 times.  You have my most sincere apology for the false information.  the overall point still stands - the AAC is a minnow compared to the power 5 conferences.  And that's not changing.  The AAC will get a decent bump (for them) from the new media deal - which doesnt start for another year.  But its still chump change compared to the power conferences.  And in the meantime the Pac 12 revenues will continue to grow as well.  And the AAC is now locked in for 12 years.

The TV revenue from Fox and ESPN is on a sliding scale as well.. By 2024, each school will make about $27M per year just from this contract.

https://www.pacifictakes.com/pac-12-general/2013/6/17/4440078/pac-12-tv-revenue-payouts-leaked

Each school is also getting about $3M from the P12 network this year.. We are still behind a few P5 conferences but for AAC fans to compare to P12 revenue is absurd.

As Scorcho said, we will obviously get a new contract in 2025..

1 hour ago, utenation said:

Exactly.  As it stands now, the AAC wouldn't even sniff a NY6 under the old system.. Boise, Utah and TCU busted through... And set the bar and gave everyone else a road map..

Looks like a few AAC fans think football started in just the last few years..

Utah and TCU busted through and left as did BYU.  Arizona and Arizona State left previously. 

The only relevant road map these schools left as a legacy was "I want out of MWC."

You have Colorado State and AFA expressing dissatisfaction with MWC TV Contract start times.  You have on the table that AAC may be in need of a 12th team.  The fact that Boise State has won NY6 bowls and has had in the past high ratings will not enter into the thinking of a BYU or a CSU or an AFA....if they decide to rethink their conference affiliation.  And, finally, MWC just got kicked out of the Vegas Bowl.....by the PAC.

Here is what Aresco told the AAC Presidents when he was hired:  "The gap between the P5 and G5 is going to grow larger and larger.  This situation is getting worse and worse.   If you (AAC) don't want to be left behind, then you need to keep up with the P5.  You (AAC) don't have to become a B1G or a SEC, but just be part of the conversation."

Aresco's P6 narrative is best described as a recognition that the G5 are in trouble. 

All of MWC's past accomplishments are nice.  But it is now irrelevant.  The Big 8 had many, many accomplishments.  But it would not and could not hold in today's money driven college sports which basically comes down to your TV contract. 

AAC and MWC battle it out for that one NY6 spot.  If AAC did get P6 status, the MWC would also be a winner as MWC would undoubtedly get the one NY6 bowl spot each year. 

6 minutes ago, Tulsa Guy said:

Utah and TCU busted through and left as did BYU.  Arizona and Arizona State left previously. 

The only relevant road map these schools left as a legacy was "I want P5!"

You have Colorado State and AFA expressing dissatisfaction with MWC TV Contract start times.  You have on the table that AAC may be in need of a 12th team.  The fact that Boise State has won NY6 bowls and has had in the past high ratings will not enter into the thinking of a BYU or a CSU or an AFA....if they decide to rethink their conference affiliation.

Here is what Aresco told the AAC Presidents when he was hired:  "The gap between the P5 and G5 is going to grow larger and larger.  This situation is getting worse and worse.   If you (AAC) don't want to be left behind, then you need to keep up with the P5.  You (AAC) don't have to become a B1G or a SEC, but just be part of the conversation."

Aresco's P6 narrative is most accurately described as a recognition that the G5 are in trouble. 

All of MWC's past accomplishments are nice.  But it is now irrelevant.  The Big 8 had many, many accomplishments.  But it would not and could not hold in today's money driven college sports which basically comes down to your TV contract. 

AAC and MWC battle it out for that one NY6 spot.  If AAC did get P6 status, the MWC would also be a winner as MWC would undoubtedly get the one NY6 bowl spot each year.

I'm reinforcing one thing. Your claim: "So the AAC is not only performing at the level/exceeding old Big East but the MWC with TCU, Utah, and BYU."

You are completely wrong here... Now you are saying the past is irrelevant... So make your mind up bubba.. Are you comparing the past or present? 

3 minutes ago, utenation said:

You are completely wrong here... Now you are saying the past is irrelevant... So make your mind up bubba.. Are you comparing the past or present? 

Welcome to The Multiverse....TG is looking for that one time stream where Tulsa is relevant.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Guest #1Stunner

Question for the AAC fans:  @Did I hear a WOOSH?, @Tulsa Guy @UofMTigers

Are you guys (and all of the AAC fans) seriously arguing that the AAC has surpassed the PAC12 in national prestige, in football and basketball?   Why?

And why are the AAC fans fixated on the PAC12 for some reason?

My understanding is that the PAC12 and AAC both have poor fan attendance (Stanford is getting like 2,000 fans out per football game), but isn't the PAC12 still a lot higher than the AAC?

Oregon and Utah football are both ranked higher than any AAC team.  And Arizona basketball (thanks to cheating) is ranked higher than any AAC team.  So why are you guys fixated on the PAC12?

2 minutes ago, utenation said:

I'm reinforcing one thing. Your claim: "So the AAC is not only performing at the level/exceeding old Big East but the MWC with TCU, Utah, and BYU."

What I am saying that the performances of TCU BYU and Utah U in the old MWC are nice but are irrelevant today in measuring where MWC stands today.

4 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Question for the AAC fans:  @Did I hear a WOOSH?, @Tulsa Guy @UofMTigers

Are you guys (and all of the AAC fans) seriously arguing that the AAC has surpassed the PAC12 in national prestige, in football and basketball?  

No AAC fan has made that claim.  MWC are making up a strawman.

Let me repeat this again.  Aresco told the AAC Presidents when he was hired that the AAC needs to keep up with the P5 or get left behind.  Aresco said AAC does not need to be a B1G or SEC....but just be part of the conversation."

Guest #1Stunner
1 minute ago, Tulsa Guy said:

No AAC fan has made that claim.  MWC are making up a strawman.

OK, but then the "P6" argument makes no sense...

Every other P5 conference tries to argue it is on par with the other P5 conferences.  For example, the PAC12 fans argue that they are in as good of a conference as the ACC or BIG12.  BIG10 argues it is as strong as the SEC.  (obviously, the SEC is the best in football, but I am talking combined football and basketball).

Now, what you are telling me is that the AAC fans don't make this argument, and concede that the AAC is far below the PAC12 or any other P5 conference in combined football and basketball.  That means the AAC is G5, not a power conference, right?   If that's true, why the P6 signs at your games?

4 minutes ago, Tulsa Guy said:

What I am saying that the performances of TCU BYU and Utah U in the old MWC are nice but are irrelevant today in measuring where MWC stands today.

Well, that's not what you said. I gave you exactly what you said. This whole "P6" campaign is nothing more than delusional conference Kool-Aid vomited out to try and keep your conference relevant.. Just like UCF's claim to national championships..

The AAC is clearly no better off than the MWC in perception and revenue.. And light years away from being a power conference.

25 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

OK, but then the "P6" argument makes no sense...

Every other P5 conference tries to argue it is on par with the other P5 conferences.  For example, the PAC12 fans argue that they are in as good of a conference as the ACC or BIG12.  BIG10 argues it is as strong as the SEC.  (obviously, the SEC is the best in football, but I am talking combined football and basketball).

Now, what you are telling me is that the AAC fans don't make this argument, and concede that the AAC is far below the PAC12 or any other P5 conference in combined football and basketball.  That means the AAC is G5, not a power conference, right?   If that's true, why the P6 signs at your games?

No.  AAC is not P5, P4, P3, P2, or P1.  AAC is not G5.  AAC is P6.

P6 signs are free national advertising to keep AAC in the spot light, which it has done. 

7 minutes ago, utenation said:

Well, that's not what you said. I gave you exactly what you said. This whole "P6" campaign is nothing more than delusional conference Kool-Aid vomited out to try and keep your conference relevant.. Just like UCF's claim to national championships..

The AAC is clearly no better off than the MWC in perception and revenue.. And light years away from being a power conference.

Let's wait and see how the MWC TV contract comes out before making statements about revenue. And as far as perception, it was a good thing that Boise State found a way to finally put Wyoming away in over time.

24 minutes ago, Tulsa Guy said:

No.  AAC is not P5.  AAC is not G5.  AAC is P6.

P6 signs are free national advertising to keep AAC in the spot light, which it has done.

This is equivalent to the country of Uganda claiming they are an international super power. 

You guys just don’t get it. If your conference was as good as you claim, you wouldn’t be over here arguing with MWC fans on how good you are. The numbers and data would speak for itself.

6 minutes ago, utenation said:

This is equivalent to the country of Uganda claiming they are an international super power. 

You guys just don’t get it. If your conference was as good as you claim, you wouldn’t be over here arguing with MWC fans on how good you are. The numbers and data would speak for itself.

I am not arguing.  I didn't start this preposterous thread with its preposterous title.  Obviously, by the title of the thread, Aresco P6 campaign has gotten attention, the original goal of the branding.  The numbers and data do speak.

21 minutes ago, Tulsa Guy said:

I am not arguing.  I didn't start this preposterous thread with its preposterous title.  Obviously, by the title of the thread, Aresco P6 campaign has gotten attention, the original goal of the branding.  The numbers and data do speak.

Yeah, clearly you don't have a MWC agenda.. That's why you have nearly 700 posts on this board.. Just a friendly fan passing through right? 

45 minutes ago, utenation said:

Yeah, clearly you don't have a MWC agenda.. That's why you have nearly 700 posts on this board.. Just a friendly fan passing through right? 

I have explained this many times before.  The Denver Airport meeting put Tulsa's and other schools athletic programs at risk.  What the heck is this?  Invite schools and then two years later destroy the conference.  It is emblematic of the poor decision making that has pervaded the MWC ever since.

MWC signed a TV contract only to be surprised later that ESPN had the right to move their start times to 8PM or later.  MWC officials didn't even read the contract they signed!  I believe BYU hired an attorney to review the contract to see if MWC could get out of its obligations.  Too late!  The horse had left the barn.  How can one be so dumb as not to read the contract you are signing?

The decisions made in the Denver Airiport will forever define the MWC.  The MWC ignored WIchita State and pursued Gonzaga instead.  We all know how that played out.  And the PAC just kicked MWC out of the Las Vegas Bowl.

Next door Big 8, with powerhouses Oklahoma and Nebraska, knew they could not survive in the coming world of tv dollars....dependent upon a large population base.  SEC had already started this 12 team, two division thing that is causing all the problems today.  It took college sports that was at one time more open....to a junior NFL.  And here were the Denver Airport boyz going the opposite direction to downsizing to a smaller population base???

It apparently didn't dawn on Airport Al and the Boyz that their greatest problem for them was sitting across the table in the Denver Airport, Utah U and BYU.  The PAC had 10 teams.  Everyone was going to 12 teams.  How naive (make that stupid) can you get?

So, afterwards, I have been watching the MWC to see how this all plays out.  When the MWC TV contract is announced, the final answer will come in.

It is ironic that two of the Boyz, CSU and AFA, are now stating that maybe MWC is not a good fit.

No one knows how life will turn out.  I thought Tulsa's football program was sunk after the Denver Airport Conference. If Tulsa didn't get into a quality conference, the TU sports program would slide down the tubes.  For Tulsa, we want (like OU and OSU) to be with the Texas Schools.  The name of the conference is irrelevant.  Tulsa played as an independent and it doesn't work.  Never ever did I envision that Tulsa would land on its feet and be part of a wonderful conference that is continually getting better and better. 

So, thank you Airport Al.  And thank you Boise State for the $1.8M cash grab. If it weren't for your combined stupidity, greed, and arrogance, Tulsa would not be in AAC, a P6 conference and the best conference Tulsa has ever been in.

7 minutes ago, Tulsa Guy said:

I have explained this many times before.  The Denver Airport meeting put Tulsa's and other schools athletic programs at risk.  What the heck is this?  Invite schools and then two years later destroy the conference.  It is emblematic of the poor decision making that has pervaded the MWC ever since.

MWC signed a TV contract only to be surprised later that ESPN had the right to move their start times to 8PM or later.  MWC officials didn't even read the contract they signed!  I believe BYU hired an attorney to review the contract to see if MWC could get out of its obligations.  Too late!  The horse had left the barn.  How can one be so dumb as not to read the contract you are signing?

The decisions made in the Denver Airiport will forever define the MWC.  The MWC ignored WIchita State and pursued Gonzaga instead.  We all know how that played out.  And the PAC just kicked MWC out of the Las Vegas Bowl.

Next door Big 8, with powerhouses Oklahoma and Nebraska, knew they could not survive in the coming world of tv dollars....dependent upon a large population base.  SEC had already started this 12 team, two division thing that is causing all the problems today.  It took college sports that was at one time more open....to a junior NFL.  And here were the Denver Airport boyz going the opposite direction to downsizing to a smaller population base???

It apparently didn't dawn on Airport Al and the Boyz that their greatest problem for them was sitting across the table in the Denver Airport, Utah U and BYU.  The PAC had 10 teams.  Everyone was going to 12 teams.  How naive (make that stupid) can you get?

So, afterwards, I have been watching the MWC to see how this all plays out.  When the MWC TV contract is announced, the final answer will come in.

It is ironic that two of the Boyz, CSU and AFA, are now stating that maybe MWC is not a good fit.

No one knows how life will turn out.  I thought Tulsa's football program was sunk after the Denver Airport Conference. If Tulsa didn't get into a quality conference, the TU sports program would slide down the tubes.  For Tulsa, we want (like OU and OSU) to be with the Texas Schools.  The name of the conference is irrelevant.  Tulsa played as an independent and it doesn't work.  Never ever did I envision that Tulsa would land on its feet and be part of a wonderful conference that is continually getting better and better. 

So, thank you Airport Al.  And thank you Boise State for the $1.8M cash grab. If it weren't for your combined stupidity, greed, and arrogance, Tulsa would not be in AAC, a P6 conference and the best conference Tulsa has ever been in.

Wow. I learn something every day.. I wasn't even aware Tulsa had an athletic department..

1 minute ago, utenation said:

Wow. I learn something every day.. I wasn't even aware Tulsa had an athletic department..

Most people in Tulsa arent either.