Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

Kansas State at UNLV

6 hours ago, ph90702 said:

I wish we would’ve won, but it looks like the program is definitely headed in the right direction.  Our defense was really good today.  My worry is as the season goes on.  We will be really tired by February because of the lack of bodies.

Would’ve won by 10 or more with Jenkins Jr on the roster this year. 

I dont think the sky is falling, but i am bummed because I truly believed UNLV would be good this year if the AD left things alone. Continuituty matters.

I really hope this team turns a corner. Theres a ton of basketball left. But man, Mitrou-Long=Noah Robotham. He just disappears for long stretches and seems to barely impact the game.

We finally had difference makers coming into the backcourt. But this fanbase is so gd impatient. Ethan looks legit 17 asts 4 to 9 rb 2 stls in 2 games. Even if it takes him a while, hes a freshman. 

Tillman and Antonio are supposed to be proven production. There was a lot of time to evaluate these players. How they have performed is a little scary, but not the end all. Juiston>>Tillman on any planet. Beck>Tillman. I wanted to see what happened the 1st time an athlete or two actually guarded Jonah, and it went pretty much as expected.

I was also disappointed in Antonio's off ball movement, and Otzelbetgers ability to scheme him open for some easy shots to get him going. Eventually Otz just ditched him and went with Marvs guys. Not a good sign for talent evaluation moving forward.

All in all im hoping to win at cal. If they lose at cal, ucla will most certainly be a loss.  Cronin vs Otzelberger 2019 might end with a football score after double ot.

23 minutes ago, qwelish said:

Tillman and Antonio are supposed to be proven production. There was a lot of time to evaluate these players. How they have performed is a little scary, but not the end all. Juiston>>Tillman on any planet. Beck>Tillman. I wanted to see what happened the 1st time an athlete or two actually guarded Jonah, and it went pretty much as expected.

I was also disappointed in Antonio's off ball movement, and Otzelbetgers ability to scheme him open for some easy shots to get him going. Eventually Otz just ditched him and went with Marvs guys. Not a good sign for talent evaluation moving forward.

All in all im hoping to win at cal. If they lose at cal, ucla will most certainly be a loss.  Cronin vs Otzelberger 2019 might end with a football score after double ot.

Tillman was a solid pac 12 player, he can't be that bad all year. He will get it going. Im more concerned about Antonio vs. decent defenders like you said. We will see. 

7 assists to 25 turnovers tho, yikes. Performances like that would make Mediocre Marv blush.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

"We gotta stay true to ourselves, gotta hang our hats on defense, not on offense," Hardy said. "If we continue to get stops we put ourselves in chances to have more offensive possessions. A couple of times we slipped up and let guys get to the paint. Easy drives, give up the baseline, which puts us in rotation and that's things we don't want to do."

I like the message in this. 

2 hours ago, qwelish said:

I dont think the sky is falling, but i am bummed because I truly believed UNLV would be good this year if the AD left things alone. Continuituty matters.

I really hope this team turns a corner. Theres a ton of basketball left. But man, Mitrou-Long=Noah Robotham. He just disappears for long stretches and seems to barely impact the game.

We finally had difference makers coming into the backcourt. But this fanbase is so gd impatient. Ethan looks legit 17 asts 4 to 9 rb 2 stls in 2 games. Even if it takes him a while, hes a freshman. 

Yeah it's a reset for sure; SDSU would have been our only competition. A game like this they could have won; 

But I'm interested in Cinci they have a new coach and last season it was a close game.

STAT OF THE GAME: Defense ruled as both teams were held to under 40 percent shooting from the field. Kansas State shot 17.4 percent from 3-point range, while the Runnin' Rebels made 26.9 percent.

QUOTABLE: "I'm proud of our guys for how they came out today, fought and competed. I thought it was really impressive to hold a Big 12 champion program, one that we have a lot of respect for, to 16 first-half points. I felt like the thing that we need to correct is the start to the second half. That has not been great to us. We have to get better there and better executing late. Overall I am happy with the competitive spirit that our guys played with. We knew it was going physical match. I think we were outsized at most positions, but the fight that our guys played with, I was really proud of. If we can bring that effort and energy every night out, we are going to like the outcome of a lot of nights." UNLV head coach T.J. Otzelberger

NOTES: 
- Hardy was 11 of 23 from the field, including 5 of 10 on 3-pointers.
- UNLV held Kansas State to just 16 first-half points. The Wildcats were 0 of 10 on 3-pointers in the first 20 minutes.
- There were a combined 45 turnovers.
- UNLV out-rebounded K-State, 43-37.
- K-State made 12 of 13 free throws.
- UNLV led by as many as 10 points in the first half.
- There were 10 lead changes and nine ties throughout the game.
- UNLV junior forward Mbacke Diong recorded double-digit rebounds for the second straight game (11), while senior forward Nick Blair grabbed 10.
- UNLV has made at least one 3-pointer in a NCAA-record 1,072 straight games.

NEXT FOR THE RUNNIN' REBELS: UNLV will head out on the road for the first time this season, playing at California on Tuesday, Nov. 12, and at UCLA on Friday, Nov. 15. Both games will start at 8 p.m. and be televised by Pac-12 Networks.

8 hours ago, qwelish said:

I dont don't think the sky is falling, but i I am bummed because I truly believed UNLV would be good this year if the AD had left things alone. Continuituty Continuity matters.

I really hope this team turns a corner. Theres There's a ton of basketball left. But man, Mitrou-Long=Noah Robotham. He just disappears for long stretches and seems to barely impact the game.

We finally had difference makers coming into the backcourt. But this fanbase is so gd impatient. Ethan looks legit 17 asts 4 to 9 rb 2 stls in 2 games. Even if it takes him a while, hes he's a freshman. 

Tillman and Antonio are supposed to be proven production producers. There was a lot of time to evaluate these players. How they have performed is a little scary, but not the end all. Juiston>>Tillman on any planet. Beck>Tillman. I wanted to see what happened the 1st time an athlete or two actually guarded Jonah, and it went pretty much as expected.

I was also disappointed in Antonio's off ball movement, and Otzelbetgers Otzelbetger's ability to scheme him open for some easy shots to get him going. Eventually Otz just ditched him and went with Marvs Marv's guys. Not a good sign for talent evaluation moving forward.

All in all im I'm hoping to win at cal Cal. If they lose at cal Cal, ucla UCLA will most certainly be a loss.  Cronin vs Otzelberger 2019 might end with a football score after double ot.

Just because it's been a while and I miss getting your stupid facepalms. And learn English ffs. You're posts are painful to read - it's like qwerty pigdin.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

7 hours ago, qwelish said:

Do you think Marv would have been anything more than a mediocre coach? I get that you are frustrated about losing out on this year, but do you think Marv would have ever turned UNLV into a consistent tourney team

24 minutes ago, HoosierRebel said:

Do you think Marv would have been anything more than a mediocre coach? I get that you are frustrated about losing out on this year, but do you think Marv would have ever turned UNLV into a consistent tourney team

Could have seen Menzies being a consistent 18-23 game winner with some NCAA's and some NIT mixed in - A NBA guy here and there with a lower strength schedule most years - maybe some top 17 to 25 rankings too 

Which considering what UNLV has been over the last 25 years, seasons like that would be pretty good 

1 hour ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Just because it's been a while and I miss getting your stupid facepalms. And learn English ffs. You're posts are painful to read - it's like qwerty pigdon.

Correcting English while +++++ing up English seems to be the stdsu thing to do.

Your sentence structure is trash as well, even for a 6th grader.

+++++ing dufus.

49 minutes ago, HoosierRebel said:

Your use of the word mediocre is not clear. Its opinion. So not sure what youre actually asking there.

If he got nmsu to the tournament that many times and improved UNLVs mwc standing each year, it seems to be a given. 

Not that it matters any more.