Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lobo Amor

USU another Baylor situation?

It's an ugly situation, but as far as I know there is no indication that our coaching staff had heard of these allegations until after Green graduated. The Logan City police certainly don't look good in this whole affair, though. It looks like the officer investigating the case simply never took the victims' claims seriously and never arrested Green.

Need a couple dozen more victims, a lot more players and a coverup before it reaches Baylor levels.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 hour ago, StanfordAggie said:

It's an ugly situation, but as far as I know there is no indication that our coaching staff had heard of these allegations until after Green graduated. The Logan City police certainly don't look good in this whole affair, though. It looks like the officer investigating the case simply never took the victims' claims seriously and never arrested Green.

I'm still stumped as to how the University acquires liability under Title IX.  Mission creep has been extraordinarily vast and fast-moving, making the Universities guarantors of coeds' safety on and off campus.

You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

1 hour ago, USU78 said:

I'm still stumped as to how the University acquires liability under Title IX.  Mission creep has been extraordinarily vast and fast-moving, making the Universities guarantors of coeds' safety on and off campus.

@USU78 wants coeds to be unsafe on (and off?) campus!

And, of course, it wasn't just the local police.  It was the university that protected Green:

"They also allege the university failed to investigate several other reports of sexual assault against Green and fostered an environment that tolerated misconduct."

Also being sued for sexual assault by USU professor.

https://www.ksl.com/article/46397278/usu-reassigning-piano-instructor-amid-claims-he-allegedly-sexually-assaulted-student-in-1994

https://kutv.com/news/local/utah-state-university-investigates-sex-assault-claim-against-professor

""(Utah State) previously found that students in the music department had faced sexism and a "disturbing" pattern of sexual violence and psychological abuse by faculty."

28 minutes ago, Cougar said:

And, of course, it wasn't just the local police.  It was the university that protected Green:

"They also allege the university failed to investigate several other reports of sexual assault against Green and fostered an environment that tolerated misconduct."

Also being sued for sexual assault by USU professor.

https://www.ksl.com/article/46397278/usu-reassigning-piano-instructor-amid-claims-he-allegedly-sexually-assaulted-student-in-1994

https://kutv.com/news/local/utah-state-university-investigates-sex-assault-claim-against-professor

""(Utah State) previously found that students in the music department had faced sexism and a "disturbing" pattern of sexual violence and psychological abuse by faculty."

Allege =/= prove.

You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

40 minutes ago, Cougar said:

Just read the article.  He's going to prison...for a long time.  Which is a good thing. 

But , why didn't the university pay credence to other females regarding his assaults? They basically said ' charges have already been filed'...sue the shit out the university.  

Protect your students no matter the gender, the color or the political leaning. 

4 hours ago, Cougar said:

That's disturbing. Among other details, this suggests that Matt Wells lied when he said that he never heard about these allegations until after Green graduated. But honestly I can't fault Wells too much. Both the university and the local police dropped the ball big time on this case. Unfortunately this story is far too common when sexual assaults are reported to a university Title IX office. You have 25-year-olds with English degrees playing the role of cops, and it is almost always a disaster. This article doesn't discuss it, but the Logan city police are the ones who end up looking bad in my research on the story. It looks like the main detective on the case was so excited to be friends with a football player that he basically dismissed every one of the victims' allegations and never really investigated them in any detail.

11 hours ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

Just read the article.  He's going to prison...for a long time.  Which is a good thing. 

But , why didn't the university pay credence to other females regarding his assaults? They basically said ' charges have already been filed'...sue the shit out the university.  

Protect your students no matter the gender, the color or the political leaning. 

If this had been the Provo PD, they wouldn't have wasted any time in swiftly reporting the victims for honor code violation investigation.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

8 hours ago, StanfordAggie said:

That's disturbing. Among other details, this suggests that Matt Wells lied when he said that he never heard about these allegations until after Green graduated. But honestly I can't fault Wells too much. Both the university and the local police dropped the ball big time on this case. Unfortunately this story is far too common when sexual assaults are reported to a university Title IX office. You have 25-year-olds with English degrees playing the role of cops, and it is almost always a disaster. This article doesn't discuss it, but the Logan city police are the ones who end up looking bad in my research on the story. It looks like the main detective on the case was so excited to be friends with a football player that he basically dismissed every one of the victims' allegations and never really investigated them in any detail.

Exactly! Leave it to the cops. Universities couldn't triage a hangnail, nor should they be required to.

25 minutes ago, ole blu dude said:

I believe that people were fired over this as they should be. The school and the local police have failed the the girls in question, and those ladies are due compensation. The current president of USU said how upset she was with what happened.

Because she wants to do a good job. Can't blame her for that. But Stanford's point stands: why have to train people who lack aptitude for a job somebody else is already doing?

2 minutes ago, USU78 said:

Because she wants to do a good job. Can't blame her for that. But Stanford's point stands: why have to train people who lack aptitude for a job somebody else is already doing?

I understand his point, and do not believe it to be wrong. My point is what happened is horrible, and the women involved deserve compensation. I did notice that the SLC police dropped the ball on the case of the girl track star at the U of U.

11 minutes ago, ole blu dude said:

I understand his point, and do not believe it to be wrong. My point is what happened is horrible, and the women involved deserve compensation. I did notice that the SLC police dropped the ball on the case of the girl track star at the U of U.

Yup. And that's on them. Bad training or bad execution, it's their job to get that right.

10 hours ago, USU78 said:

Well, I think there are good reasons that Title IX sexual assault offices exist. Sometimes victims are too scared to go to the police, for starters. A conviction in the criminal justice system requires proof beyond a reasonable doubt, which can be a difficult standard to achieve for a crime where there are usually no witnesses and where it is very common for one or both parties to be intoxicated. Thus, many sexual assault cases go nowhere in the criminal justice system, leaving victims feeling like their claims weren't taken seriously. Also, if you get a conviction in the criminal justice system, usually the only remedies are probation or jail. Sometimes victims want to see their attacker punished, but they don't want a jail sentence that could negatively impact his life long-term. The idea behind a university Title IX investigation is that if a victim wants (for example) a no-contact order against her attacker and that her attacker be required to do community service or take some classes on consent or something like that. In theory, this could work out well for both parties. For the victim, she can feel like some type of justice was done without having to relive the trauma during a police investigation that is unlikely to result in a conviction. And the accused may agree to something like a no-contact order and community service if it means that more severe punishments are off the table. In practice, unfortunately, university Title IX officers are usually poorly trained for this type of process. Far too frequently both victims and the accused end up feeling like the process worked poorly and that their due process rights were not respected. It's a tough problem with no easy solution, unfortunately.

In USU's case, I think "Hanlon's Razor" is applicable, at least for USU's Title IX office. It wasn't a malicious desire to protect a football player that led to the botched investigation. It was simply incompetence, at least as far as I can tell.

It's the cops' fault people are too stupid to report crimes? 

I find this whole "blame the cops/impose liability on the states/universities" a cynical redistributionist scam.

27 minutes ago, StanfordAggie said:

In USU's case, I think "Hanlon's Razor" is applicable, at least for USU's Title IX office. It wasn't a malicious desire to protect a football player that led to the botched investigation. It was simply incompetence, at least as far as I can tell.

A tautology?