Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warbow

Question for the board?

4 minutes ago, 1066 said:

What to do about independents?  Do you wish to eliminate them simply because they do not belong to a conference. I genuinely hate Notre Dame but they should always have more of a chance in any honest system to win a NC than Boise.

+++++ them, make them join a conference.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

1 hour ago, 1066 said:

What to do about independents?  Do you wish to eliminate them simply because they do not belong to a conference. I genuinely hate Notre Dame but they should always have more of a chance in any honest system to win a NC than Boise.

If they have the best record of all the independents and is one of the best 4 in the nation then why not. Aka last year.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

I’m thinking if you’re not good enough to win your conference then you shouldn’t be good enough to play for the national championship.

Someday the SEC is going screw themselves with a conference champion with 2 or 3 losses but not get in because a 1 loss SEC non-champion will take that spot. Think about it, it could happen.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

I'm cool with it. I want non conference games to matter, and divisions can be uneven. 

In 2016 Ohio State lost their division partly because Iowa managed to upset Michigan. If the Wolverines hold serve, then it creates a 3 way tie that puts OSU in the Big Ten Title game, but instead Penn State went. That doesn't make Ohio State any worse, and at the end of the season they had one of the top 4 resumes in America so they rightly got in.

Or take Oklahoma last year. They lose to Texas in the regular season at The Cotton Bowl, but come back later in the year and win the rematch at Jerry World. Nobody complained about them getting in. However if you reverse that and give them the Red River Shootout win, but a loss in the CCG, everyone would have been mad about them getting in. Why is losing to Texas at The Cotton Bowl okay, but losing to Texas 21 miles east at Jerry World disqualifying?

The committee should treat every game as equal,  and not arbitrarily decide that some are more important than others.

Everyone has put this weird importance on conference championship games, when they've never been a pre requisite. A team who didn't win a conference has gotten into the playoffs in 3 straight years, and even in The BCS era they got in 2 of the last 3 years. 

As I understand it, the current system is suppose to give strong preference to conference champions. My opinion is that if there are two teams with roughly comparable resumes, the conference champion should always get priority. But if a team that didn't win their conference is clearly stronger than a team that did, I wouldn't put a clearly inferior team in the playoff just because the stronger team didn't win their conference.

If they would run an eight team tourney, they would have no problems.

The five conference champs, and three at large. G5 must qualify for at large spot by finishing in the top 16 of the CFP rankings. 

P5 programs no longer allowed to schedule the FCS. Must play minimum of 1 non-con game against the P5. 

Use the NY6 bowls for qfinals New Year weekend. Semis in NY6 bowls on rotating basis.

All problems solved.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

3 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

My argument has always been that if a team can’t win their conference - with the exception of an independent who played a comparable schedule and goes undefeated - they shouldn’t get in, even if they are in the top 4.

If, for example this season, LSU goes 11-1 with their only loss being to bama, they are likely one of the top 4 teams in the country. However, by losing to bama and thereby losing out on the division title, they’ve already proven that they aren’t good enough to win it all. They had their shot. Someone else should get it, even if they aren’t as good. It might not be fair, but we play the regular season for a reason. 

Your exact logic applied to Alabama in 2017, except The Tide did go on to prove that they're good enough to win it all. Hell the exact thing happened in 2011

This could happen this year.

A 3 loss Georgia or Florida team beats an unbeaten Alabama team in the SEC championship game but doesn’t get to the playoffs. Yet a 1 loss Alabama and LSU both get in. A non conference champion and a non division winner both get in over their conference champion.

16 hours ago, Warbow said:

Do you think that a team that does not win their conference or division should be afforded the privilege to play for the national championship?

Yes and No

current 4 team set up No

8 team with an at large yes

For most P5 teams and all G-5 teams, a team's loss can take them out of the picture.  Teams like Alabama, LSU, Ohio State (to list a few) are given an unfair advantage to be given a Mulligan on a loss, even a bad loss and still have a solid shot at the playoff opportunity.  I'm not saying that these "elite" teams aren't the best teams.  I'm saying that if a team like Washington State, UCF or BSU with a perfect record has almost zero chance to get into playoff over a one loss Ohio State, Michigan or  Alabama.  In reality, there are a dozen or so teams with an actual chance to get in the playoff.  Out of that dozen or so, half of those teams are their for appearance and really don't have much of a chance.  

11 hours ago, Warbow said:

I’m thinking if you’re not good enough to win your conference then you shouldn’t be good enough to play for the national championship.

Someday the SEC is going screw themselves with a conference champion with 2 or 3 losses but not get in because a 1 loss SEC non-champion will take that spot. Think about it, it could happen.

Anything that expedites the change to an 8 team playoff. It's not "if", it's "when". And it will be one of the best things that could happen to the sport. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

10 hours ago, sebasour said:

Your exact logic applied to Alabama in 2017, except The Tide did go on to prove that they're good enough to win it all. Hell the exact thing happened in 2011

Yep. And they didn’t deserve it either time. 

2 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Yep. And they didn’t deserve it either time. 

Why? They proved they were the best team in the country both times.

Alabama and Georgia both lost to the same team in 2017. To say one is forgivable and one is one is disqualifying makes no sense

The current system is a beauty pageant. It is better than the BCS. But not much.

Until this thing goes to 8, it is a sham.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

I would love to see 3 SEC teams somehow get in. Is there any conceivable way that could happen?

Say LSU wins close today and goes into their CCG undefeated, loses to Georgia there, and Bama wins out?

I bet the playoff would expand to 8 almost immediately if that happened.

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

Yes,  because we should have an 8 team playoff with no auto qualifiers.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard.