Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warbow

Question for the board?

Do you think that a team that does not win their conference or division should be afforded the privilege to play for the national championship?

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

If the goal is to identify the best 4 teams then I guess.   If it's a P5 community hug, then who cares if it's the best 4 teams as long as a 3 loss B12 team gets in for winning the conference.   Personally I want to see one conference always get 2 in, then we can fast forward to 8 and the P5 overpaid can get that guarantee. 

2 hours ago, Bluebronc said:

We are talking about the National Championship.  All attendees should be Champions of their own conference.  NO exceptions in my opinion.

This for football.  I'm ok with the current arrangement for other sports where all conference champions are already invited before at-large bids get handed out.

3 hours ago, Warbow said:

Do you think that a team that does not win their conference or division should be afforded the privilege to play for the national championship?

Not a chance in hell if they can't win their division - but maybe perhaps if they lose their CCG and are otherwise eligible for the playoff. 

Unless it's UCF - those guys were winning all those games and even had that NC a little while ago..

Talk about blue blood...

New-Signature.jpg

My argument has always been that if a team can’t win their conference - with the exception of an independent who played a comparable schedule and goes undefeated - they shouldn’t get in, even if they are in the top 4.

If, for example this season, LSU goes 11-1 with their only loss being to bama, they are likely one of the top 4 teams in the country. However, by losing to bama and thereby losing out on the division title, they’ve already proven that they aren’t good enough to win it all. They had their shot. Someone else should get it, even if they aren’t as good. It might not be fair, but we play the regular season for a reason. 

4 hours ago, Warbow said:

What to do about independents?  Do you wish to eliminate them simply because they do not belong to a conference. I genuinely hate Notre Dame but they should always have more of a chance in any honest system to win a NC than Boise.