Jump to content
toonkee

Las Vegas Homeless Ordinance

Recommended Posts

Like it was previously stated, if politicians have nothing to gain, they don’t give a shit. It’s the same situation with gang bangers in the inner cities. If there aren’t any votes to be had or political clubs to bash the other party with, politicians have no interest. 

Look at the current situation we have now. There is more attention being paid to arguing and investigations than legislation to benefit the people they are supposed to be serving. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the parts that says to fine them. :facepalm:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2019 at 10:11 AM, toonkee said:

Today the LV city council is voting on a new ordinance to ban "camping" on the public right of ways and other things that homeless people generally need to do, as long as there are beds in shelters available.  Some call it criminalizing homelessness.  Anyway, a very heated discussion is taking place at council right now about this. Personally, I'm torn on the ordinance and issue. I live on the edge of downtown and every day see the increased crime and garbage the homeless are bringing into to my neighborhood.  Nobody wants that but I feel like for this to be enforced with any morality at all, the city needs to provide proper services for shelter, rehabilitation, health, etc. Would like to hear the thoughts of our esteemed peanut gallery.

https://livestream.com/cityoflasvegas/events/8869289

Just give them a free one-way bus ticket to San Francisco... worked wonders here in Reno. :facepalm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Mad_Hatter said:

Just give them a free one-way bus ticket to San Francisco... worked wonders here in Reno. :facepalm:

I think the state of Nevada was sued for that move. 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2019 at 10:21 AM, bsu_alum9 said:

Same problem here in Spokane (and everywhere out west besides maybe Boise).  The 9th circuit ruled it unconstitutional to criminalize camping if no shelters were available - which IMO created a pretty big problem.  There are already tons of services for the homeless community and there isn't a solution to the homelessness problem. The individuals in the situation need to take care of themselves, whether that means overcoming laziness to get a job, or taking their required mental health medications to function normally, or having the desire to get clean from drug and alcohol abuse.  

https://www.inlander.com/spokane/supreme-court-wont-hear-challenge-to-law-barring-homeless-people-from-sleeping-outdoors/Content?oid=18763498.

Supreme Court won't take this up, so 9th Circuit Decision is final.

Arresting people for camping on public property is "cruel and unusual" if shelter space isn't available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2019 at 4:49 PM, sandiegopete said:

Reagan did unloose the crazy people on sane society and we are all paying for it today.  These nuts roaming the streets are violent and a danger to any normal person.  All thanks to Reagan. 

Ronnie was very clear that it was the states responsibility to pick up the slack....they didnt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In SLC, the state government partnered with the county, city, police and public assistance agencies to get something going. The police and social agencies made sweeps through the Rio Grande district and offered assistance to those who wanted it. Many accepted and there have been more than a few success stories. Most were immediately provided with temporary shelters and a social worker.

They have removed the problem from that area and disbursed it into other areas by providing satellite shelters as opposed to it all being in one spot.

However, SLC is struggling with having enough beds/services in the satellite locations and pushback from many communities who don't want it. 

 

 Here in Ogden, we have simplified the solution. A free ride to the shelter, a bus ticket to SLC or jail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

In SLC, the state government partnered with the county, city, police and public assistance agencies to get something going. The police and social agencies made sweeps through the Rio Grande district and offered assistance to those who wanted it. Many accepted and there have been more than a few success stories. Most were immediately provided with temporary shelters and a social worker.

They have removed the problem from that area and disbursed it into other areas by providing satellite shelters as opposed to it all being in one spot.

However, SLC is struggling with having enough beds/services in the satellite locations and pushback from many communities who don't want it. 

 

 Here in Ogden, we have simplified the solution. A free ride to the shelter, a bus ticket to SLC or jail.

The jail solution is no longer an option. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2019 at 7:12 PM, CPslograd said:

I don't think it has anything to do with housing prices.  They don't have jobs, how are they supposed to afford rent?

What you need if you are going to ban camping is housing paid for by the public.  I use the word housing instead of shelter intentionally, because in many cases it won't be a short term deal.

Actually depending on the city many do have jobs.   Just saw a 60 Min special in Seattle and a number of the people talked to had jobs.   

I’m not sure criminalizing things solves the problem.  For example, say you are homeless with a child and you don’t want to go to the shelter because you fear it may be a threat to your child.   So you jail this person, the lose whatever job they have and the downward spiral continues.   Not to mention the cost of jail and foster care for the child is likely more than you would have spent for an apartment.   

Alternatively, say you are mentally ill and you won’t take your meds.   Do we really want to convert our prisons into mental health facilities?  Seems again a poor use of resources and the wrong people (guards) to interact with them.   Not to mention do you really want homeless type 1 forced to mix with type 2.   

If the solution isn’t working isn’t it incumbent upon the city to find out why not versus just throwing people in jail?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

The jail solution is no longer an option. 

Not many choose option #3.

I personally know a number of hard working, non alcoholic/drug addicted people living out of their cars. Some by choice to be able to pick up and take seasonal jobs or family commitments. Others due to the severe housing shortage here in Utah.

Bottom line is there are more of us than available affordable housing stock 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2019 at 11:21 AM, bsu_alum9 said:

Same problem here in Spokane (and everywhere out west besides maybe Boise).  The 9th circuit ruled it unconstitutional to criminalize camping if no shelters were available - which IMO created a pretty big problem.  There are already tons of services for the homeless community and there isn't a solution to the homelessness problem. The individuals in the situation need to take care of themselves, whether that means overcoming laziness to get a job, or taking their required mental health medications to function normally, or having the desire to get clean from drug and alcohol abuse.  

I like your opinion.

I would add some are to far along the path of addiction, poor mental health, or are chronically homeless. 

Unfortunately using public tax dollars to house and care for these people is a volatile subject. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2019 at 4:31 PM, bluerules009 said:

It has nothing to do with housing shortage or prices.

It is all about mental health. 

Its both

Reagan destroyed the mental health system his first year in office.   That created the homeless problem.  Acerbated the drug crime problem as people self medicate.  Led to our problem with mass shootings.

Homelessness has existed long before Ronnie Ray-guns released the mentally I'll onto the streets. Yes, it did exacerbate the drug and homeless issues in America, but it did not least to mass shootings. Most of the shooters, while mentally ill, do live at home, have jobs, have functioned well in society up until the point they break.

Like babies though the mentally ill don't vote, so democrats don't care.  They are lucky they are not being aborted.

Who is lucky ?

This is one issue the republicans can point at, to act like they are concerned with over spending.   As no one especially democrats will hold them accountable.  What ?

 

On 11/6/2019 at 4:31 PM, bluerules009 said:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2019 at 11:51 AM, Jackrabbit said:

Ronnie was very clear that it was the states responsibility to pick up the slack....they didnt. 

I was referring to his actions while governor of California. He closed the state nut houses and set the nuts free to roam the streets.

Another aspect of the homeless problem in Las Vegas as well as in California is that we both are plagued by people who move to our areas from other parts of the country expecting to make it in either Vegas or California.  I would bet that if someone were to take a detailed census of where the homeless in LV and Cal. originated very, very few would be native to the cities where they are encamped. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2019 at 3:31 PM, bluerules009 said:

It has nothing to do with housing shortage or prices.

It is all about mental health.  

Reagan destroyed the mental health system his first year in office.   That created the homeless problem.  Acerbated the drug crime problem as people self medicate.  Led to our problem with mass shootings.

 

Like babies though the mentally ill don't vote, so democrats don't care.  They are lucky they are not being aborted.

This is one issue the republicans can point at, to act like they are concerned with over spending.   As no one especially democrats will hold them accountable.

No, a fair bit is about housing prices. When you have google employees making 6 figures and living out of their cars, housing prices are part of it. Furthermore, the cost to house people in general is a big reason why institutionalization isn't being brought back and shelters never have capacity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×