Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rosegreen

Purdue Fort Wayne at UNLV

On 11/6/2019 at 9:12 AM, Poster17 said:

Not a bad first game.  Agree with many of the posters that this team looks like a fundamentally sound bball team.  Love the movement on offense, but gotta improve on the lazy passes across the top of the key.  I have a feeling we are going to like this squad.  If we can stay healthy, this will be a fun bunch to watch.  I'm excited to see these guys in person soon.

There were a lot of lapses on defense. Guys leaving their feet and two going with one. They showed good defensive effort and the perimeter defense was helped by never having two bigs on the floor. 

I did not see fundamentally sound at all. I saw more focus on early offense and more freedom. Also some nice sets. Its sort of like Bayno's offense before Kambala.

But they gave up a lot of dunks and layups just like MMs squads. The fit of the teams pieces seem to fit together a bit better, but the talent is somewhere between slightly worse to slighly better than last season. It sort of reminds me of the team with Marion and Kambala, minus Marion and Kambala and Greedy?

Theres a good stretch of games coming up and id be happy with getting just one of them. 0-3 I think the Mack is a ghost town to start conference.

5 hours ago, BestintheWest said:

Did you already get tix? I haven't bought any yet. The selection isn't all that great on stubhub and others right now.

One of the guys In the group I’m going with bought the tickets earlier tonight. I think he went through stubhub for the UCLA game. We are in a corner I think, lower bowl. They were about $50 each. 

At least they didn’t drop the opening game (btw a much tougher opponent than the last 4-5 years as far as opener opponents) which is already an improvement over the previous years. Dropping games to Loyola Marymount, South Alabama and there’s beating powerhouse Cal Poly by two. That kind of tradition clearly moved on to Grand Canyon (Lost to Davenport D2 school). 

I don’t think UNLV goes 0-3 in the next three games. They have a good shot against Cal and maybe Kansas State, probably not UCLA. At least the schedule is an improving and gives the fans a reason to watch.

21 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

At least they didn’t drop the opening game (btw a much tougher opponent than the last 4-5 years as far as opener opponents) which is already an improvement over the previous years. Dropping games to Loyola Marymount, South Alabama and there’s beating powerhouse Cal Poly by two. That kind of tradition clearly moved on to Grand Canyon (Lost to Davenport D2 school). 

I don’t think UNLV goes 0-3 in the next three games. They have a good shot against Cal and maybe Kansas State, probably not UCLA. At least the schedule is an improving and gives the fans a reason to watch.

CAL is garbage.  I would be surprised if we lost to them.

10 hours ago, qwelish said:

There were a lot of lapses on defense. Guys leaving their feet and two going with one. They showed good defensive effort and the perimeter defense was helped by never having two bigs on the floor. 

I did not see fundamentally sound at all. I saw more focus on early offense and more freedom. Also some nice sets. Its sort of like Bayno's offense before Kambala.

But they gave up a lot of dunks and layups just like MMs squads. The fit of the teams pieces seem to fit together a bit better, but the talent is somewhere between slightly worse to slighly better than last season. It sort of reminds me of the team with Marion and Kambala, minus Marion and Kambala and Greedy?

Theres a good stretch of games coming up and id be happy with getting just one of them. 0-3 I think the Mack is a ghost town to start conference.

I guess where I stated that they were fundamentally sound, I meant in comparison to what we have seen the past few years.  They have a long way to go, but man this group looked nothing like what we have seen the past couple of years, at least to me.

On 11/8/2019 at 9:23 AM, Poster17 said:

I guess where I stated that they were fundamentally sound, I meant in comparison to what we have seen the past few years.  They have a long way to go, but man this group looked nothing like what we have seen the past couple of years, at least to me.

I'm not really seeing what youre seeing.  I see a different focus. The juniors have progressed and Bryce is improving.

But I don't really see Otz as a vastly superior floor coach to MM. So far hes shown me that he may be more flexible and willing to try new things. Menzies was super stubborn.

They both seem to have their strengths. Maybe Otz has more room to grow? Not sure.

On 11/8/2019 at 12:32 PM, ph90702 said:

There’s no substitute for time.  The roster is not very deep this year, but that will change next year.

We will go ten deep next year.

We will see. I like the class but relying on freshmen can be iffy. Sometimes it takes a year, two. 

Hopefully this staffs recruiting philosophy is faster than the last staffs. Natives get restless quickly round these parts. I like Buckley and Sloc, but questions remain.

I also believe the team coming back with Ethan/JPL, jtt, juis, plus transfers smokes this team and maybe next years team too.

Hopefully im wrong but Ethan is looking niiiiice! 

If this team doesnt finish 5th or above, I have a hard time seeing how a bunch of freshmen and an unathletic chucker from the summit make a huge difference right away. 

We could be looking at a 3 or 4 year rebuild.

2 minutes ago, qwelish said:

We will see. I like the class but relying on freshmen can be iffy. Sometimes it takes a year, two. 

Hopefully this staffs recruiting philosophy is faster than the last staffs. Natives get restless quickly round these parts. I like Buckley and Sloc, but questions remain.

I also believe the team coming back with Ethan/JPL, jtt, juis, plus transfers smokes this team and maybe next years team too.

Hopefully im wrong but Ethan is looking niiiiice! 

If this team doesnt finish 5th or above, I have a hard time seeing how a bunch of freshmen and an unathletic chucker from the summit make a huge difference right away. 

We could be looking at a 3 or 4 year rebuild.

They won’t be relying on freshmen next year.  Nick Blake and Jhaylon Martinez are the only freshmen who will get minutes.  We will have four seniors and two juniors playing the vast majority of the minutes.

Just now, ph90702 said:

They won’t be relying on freshmen next year.  Nick Blake and Jhaylon Martinez are the only freshmen who will get minutes.  We will have four seniors and two juniors playing the vast majority of the minutes.

Thats fair. You are correct. But Blake is a rail and a big like Jhaylon might struggle athletically his 1st year or two. These are not super highly rated players. 

Ethan and JPL are athletic freaks who are day one ready  winning players. Im not so sure about Yap, Blake, Martinez. Im letting it go, im just illustrating the difference.

It seems like Otz is still recruiting to the Summit in some ways. Im not sure it flies in the mwc. Time will tell.

Im also worried that Jenkins efficiency does not translate. Seems like a chucker and not sure how else he impacts winning.

2 hours ago, qwelish said:

Thats fair. You are correct. But Blake is a rail and a big like Jhaylon might struggle athletically his 1st year or two. These are not super highly rated players. 

Ethan and JPL are athletic freaks who are day one ready  winning players. Im not so sure about Yap, Blake, Martinez. Im letting it go, im just illustrating the difference.

It seems like Otz is still recruiting to the Summit in some ways. Im not sure it flies in the mwc. Time will tell.

Im also worried that Jenkins efficiency does not translate. Seems like a chucker and not sure how else he impacts winning.

I am starting to see why people do not listen to you.

Yeah, maybe we should go back to recruiting kids from Africa who can’t even catch the ball. Marv swung and missed on a lot of top talent as well. You’re acting as if a single player would be the savior of the team. How’d that go with McCoy? 

Image result for not as smart as you think you are

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

1 hour ago, BleedRed702 said:

Yeah, maybe we should go back to recruiting kids from Africa who can’t even catch the ball. Marv swung and missed on a lot of top talent as well. You’re acting as if a single player would be the savior of the team. How’d that go with McCoy? 

McCoy was actually pretty good.  I think he averaged 16 and 10.  He just isn’t a modern big.  He was a McDonald’s All-American, so the expectations were really high.

2 hours ago, BleedRed702 said:

I'm just saying since you're comparing does any of the new recruits measure to McKoy, Hardy , Juiston, Ntambwe or even Mooring????

We actually had one of the better recruiters smh

But honestly UNLV should be fine, it's UNLV. 

1 minute ago, ph90702 said:

McCoy was actually pretty good.  I think he averaged 16 and 10.  He just isn’t a modern big.  He was a McDonald’s All-American, so the expectations were really high.

I replied at the same time as you! Lol. Juiston was great. Hardy is a lil star!!!!!! Mooring even had his lil angle.