Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

battle.borne

Utah State scheduled two NAIA teams?

Just now, USU78 said:

You got that USU was promised two home games because of a tournament?  And that the tournament failed to deliver on its agreement to provide those games?  And that they announced their default the last 2 days of October?  And that USU printed tickets without an announced opponent because things with the tournament were still in play at the time of printing?  And that USU found what they could at that late date?  But for  ...

Yep. If I’m waiting till end of October though that’s on USU. if they haven’t given me games by September I’m telling them I have to have a contingent plan and start looking for other games. I’m sure the contract they signed had dates required (if they didn’t that’s dumb). Utah sr has to be more proactive then just assuming, hey it’s October why don’t we have games yet?

14 minutes ago, Jaredcg said:

Yep. If I’m waiting till end of October though that’s on USU. if they haven’t given me games by September I’m telling them I have to have a contingent plan and start looking for other games. I’m sure the contract they signed had dates required (if they didn’t that’s dumb). Utah sr has to be more proactive then just assuming, hey it’s October why don’t we have games yet?

My goodness why are Reno fans so concerned about USU's OOC schedule ? I could care less who the other MWC schools play in the OOC games.

6 minutes ago, ole blu dude said:

My goodness why are Reno fans so concerned about USU's OOC schedule ? I could care less who the other MWC schools play in the OOC games.

I was more correcting the USU fan who thought they had the best schedule.

With that said you should care what other teams schedule are. Good schedules mean you have a chance of going into conference schedule with a better NET. If you want multiple teams in the NCAA tourney how others schedule is important.

10 minutes ago, Jaredcg said:

I was more correcting the USU fan who thought they had the best schedule.

With that said you should care what other teams schedule are. Good schedules mean you have a chance of going into conference schedule with a better NET. If you want multiple teams in the NCAA tourney how others schedule is important.

It is not the best schedule, but it is not the worst one either. It was explained why it happened. No one from USU is happy it happened, to get people to come to Logan is not easy.

42 minutes ago, ole blu dude said:

one sweet 16 and suddenly Nevada acts like they are Wooden's UCLA teams

1 hour ago, ole blu dude said:

It is not the best schedule, but it is not the worst one either. It was explained why it happened. No one from USU is happy it happened, to get people to come to Logan is not easy.

Especially now that we are not compliant with fire code after some of our fire prevention equipment was destroyed last year. It's unsafe to play in the Spectrum. Teams would do well to avoid going there. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

The issue is, according the Dutcher in the local rag, the change in when the Tourney is being played which has pushed conference games into December. That has had a ripple effect with open dates being limited. There are other driving factors that are out of our control like the Pac going to more conference games etc.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/story/2019-10-15/sdsu-aztecs-basketball-mountain-west-conference-schedule-20-games-ncaa-tournament-brian-dutcher

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

4 hours ago, USU78 said:

You got that USU was promised two home games because of a tournament?  And that the tournament failed to deliver on its agreement to provide those games?  And that they announced their default the last 2 days of October?  And that USU printed tickets without an announced opponent because things with the tournament were still in play at the time of printing?  And that USU found what they could at that late date?  But for  ...

Sounds like problems.

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

4 hours ago, ole blu dude said:

Everybody in the MW should be concerned because the pre-season favorite crafted a non-con schedule like they were still in the WAC

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

15 minutes ago, battle.borne said:

Everybody in the MW should be concerned because the pre-season favorite crafted a non-con schedule like they were still in the WAC

How many times do you need to be told why that happened, no one at USU wanted that to happen. OMG move on. I see you guys have played Cal State East bay and Colorado Christian.

37 minutes ago, battle.borne said:

Sounds like problems.

Definitely problems for the creators of the Jamaica Classic. It isn't a good look for them to attract future participants in their tourney when they couldn't fulfill their end of the deal. The first two games of this tournament were supposed to be played on campuses and then the final two played in Jamaica. LSU and USU were the headliners and ever since these two were announced there was shuffling going on with various teams pulling out and/or declining to play road games at either location. Each week new team logos popped up on their website showing different schools that were supposed to participate and by the end they could barely find two others that would agree to play LSU and USU in Jamaica. The two campus games were scratched and the schools were left to try and fill the openings on their own at a point when most teams had already finalized their schedules. Coach Smith expressed his disappointment in not being able to find a single D1 team to come to Logan for either opening but not being able to get P5 teams to Logan is nothing new.

36 minutes ago, battle.borne said:

Playing @ Florida, @ So. Florida, @ St. Mary's, BYU (neutral), LSU (neutral) is a WAC schedule? The two NAIA games were not USU's doing, they are what we were left with in order to fill 2 gaps we were stuck with late in the game. If it weren't for these two games the Aggies would not even have a single home game between November 18th and January 4th. They don't affect NET rating or anything else, they are just a way to have a two home games over a 6 week span.

11 hours ago, madmartigan said:

As has already been noted, USU scheduled those teams due to their participation in a tourney falling through. I think playing three ranked opponents on the road/netural sites + BYU, Weber, and USF is plenty good for an OOC. It's not perfect, but it's not "WAC scheduling". It's a very very strong OOC. 

Okay that’s fair- I didn’t see that remark. I guess I’ll let it slide. What I won’t let slide is the #17 ranked team in the country playing Montana State so tight! 

tetons1.jpg

12 hours ago, ph90702 said:

Why no Neemias Queta?

He injured his knee in late July playing for Portugal in the FIBA championship. Initial reports were no ligament damage but a dislocated knee cap. He has not played or practiced (other than light shoot around) since then and no time table has been given for his return. Some fans speculate we'll see him at our first significant OOC game, others claim it won't be until main conference play starts in January, and still others claim he could be out for the season.

No one really knows and coach Smith has not provided any answers (perhaps because he has no clue himself). The national media seems to have just swept it under the rug and assumed it was a minor injury and he'll be good to go at some point. The lack of info and details surrounding the whole thing tells me there is more to the story than what is being told and the coaching staff is protecting him from something else or from doing damage to his possible draft future. 

18 hours ago, TrueAg said:

Definitely problems for the creators of the Jamaica Classic. It isn't a good look for them to attract future participants in their tourney when they couldn't fulfill their end of the deal. The first two games of this tournament were supposed to be played on campuses and then the final two played in Jamaica. LSU and USU were the headliners and ever since these two were announced there was shuffling going on with various teams pulling out and/or declining to play road games at either location. Each week new team logos popped up on their website showing different schools that were supposed to participate and by the end they could barely find two others that would agree to play LSU and USU in Jamaica. The two campus games were scratched and the schools were left to try and fill the openings on their own at a point when most teams had already finalized their schedules. Coach Smith expressed his disappointment in not being able to find a single D1 team to come to Logan for either opening but not being able to get P5 teams to Logan is nothing new.

Playing @ Florida, @ So. Florida, @ St. Mary's, BYU (neutral), LSU (neutral) is a WAC schedule? The two NAIA games were not USU's doing, they are what we were left with in order to fill 2 gaps we were stuck with late in the game. If it weren't for these two games the Aggies would not even have a single home game between November 18th and January 4th. They don't affect NET rating or anything else, they are just a way to have a two home games over a 6 week span.

LSU got their on campus games.  Only Rhode Island and Utah State didnt get two (both got one).  Utah State will be hosting NC A&T (which is a D1 team) as part of the tournament, so USU only had 1 gap as a result of the Jamaica Classic.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.