Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Del Scorcho

apparently Willie Taggart FSU was fired today

He's been doing a terrible job so that's not surprising. However, Taggert hasn't even been there two years and FSU football was going downhill before he got there so maybe the person who really needs to be fired is the athletic director.

Boom goes the dynamite.

5 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

He's been doing a terrible job so that's not surprising. However, Taggert hasn't even been there two years and FSU football was going downhill before he got there so maybe the person who really needs to be fired is the athletic director.

He's struggled but yeah, less than 2 seasons is hardly a chance.  I'm guessing they have a candidate lined up.

Despite all this perhaps the Ducks dodged a huge bullet when Taggert jumped ship after just one season.  Time will tell but so far so good for Mario Cristobal.

Guest #1Stunner

Should Willie Taggart be considered a possible candidate at one of the few MWC jobs that are expected to open up this offseason:

1 - UNLV

2 - New Mexico

3 - CSU?

I really don't know if he's any good or not.

Guest #1Stunner

Florida State potential candidates:

1 - Mark Stoops (Kentucky)

2 - Dave Clawson (Wake Forest)

3 - Kyle Whittingham (Utah) (the #1Stunner's favorite option)

4 - Bryan Harsin (elite football coach)

9 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Should Willie Taggart be considered a possible candidate at one of the few MWC jobs that are expected to open up this offseason:

1 - UNLV

2 - New Mexico

3 - CSU?

I really don't know if he's any good or not.

At this point nobody does.  He's just 43.  UNLV and NM are non-starters.  CSU, maybe but I think he'll get a job as a position coach at a P5 school until he can earn another HC job.

Guest #1Stunner
1 minute ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

At this point nobody does.  He's just 43.  UNLV and NM are non-starters.  CSU, maybe but I think he'll get a job as a position coach at a P6 school until he can earn another HC job.

Why would UNLV or UNM be non-starters for him?

He's sort of damaged goods at this time, and a G5 job in the MWC would be a pretty decent gig for such a guy.

UNLV has a lot of potential if they could get the right guy in there.

But, you are probably right.  He'll probably just get a job in the SEC or somewhere.

3 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Why would UNLV or UNM be non-starters for him?

He's sort of damaged goods at this time, and a G5 job in the MWC would be a pretty decent gig for such a guy.

UNLV has a lot of potential if they could get the right guy in there.

But, you are probably right.  He'll probably just get a job in the SEC or somewhere.

Bama could really use a special consultant

Wonder if this has any effect on the Boise game next year? A new coach might wanna soften up the sch a bit. Currently they have three tough OOC games (West Virginia, Florida, Boise).

But then again even if FSU buys out the game that is still a win for Boise in the form of a $2 million dollar check. 

43 minutes ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

Wasn't there someone on here who was singing Willie's praises not too long ago? Laff laff laff. 

@Joe from WY thought that he was the FSU coach of the next generation

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Guys owed a bunch of money by a power conference school almost always take the following season off to study their next move.

Where might Taggert go? After how he's burnt his bridges in the P5, I can't imagine anyone hiring him as a HC in any of those conferences so if he wants to continue as a HC, and most overachievers do, a wild guess would be somewhere like Cincinnati. I think Luke Fickell is overrated (Tuberville left Fickell with a stocked cupboard of a roster) but USC's hiring of Mike Bohn suggests others disagree. So if Cincy has another double-digit win season in 2020, you can bet Fickell will get P5 offers and Taggert has shown he can win in the Aresco Athletic Conference.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Guest #1Stunner
9 minutes ago, rebelcuff said:

It's Mike Leach time! I would love to see what he could do with Florida athletes.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/florida-football/steve-spurrier-says-he-doesnt-want-to-see-mike-leach-at-a-florida-rival/

When it comes to designing and calling plays on offense, Steve Spurrier and Mike Leach are two of the all-time greats. It’s not surprising to learn that the HBC thinks highly of Leach.

On Saturday, Spurrier paid Leach one of the highest compliments a coach can receive from a Gator perspective.

Read an ESPN article last night saying the faves to take the FSU job are probably Mark Stoops and Mike Leach.

As for Taggart: did well at Western Kentucky, one season (iirc) at South Florida, one season at Oregon, 2 years at Florida St where they realized Jimbo Fisher left the cupboard empty.  Right now, I’d consider him toxic unless you’re just looking for a year out of him.

Is it fitting or irony that possibly the most versatile word in the English language is also of unknown origin?

5810036134_cb4d739b38_b.jpg

36 minutes ago, happycamper said:

@Joe from WY thought that he was the FSU coach of the next generation

I wish they'd have kept him for a decade up in Trailerhassee. He was great for UF.

Locksley would be a great hire now for them, or even Dana Dimel.

1 hour ago, lobo81 said:

$17,000,000.00 buyout!! And UNM is worried about Davies’ $800,000 buyout. Yeah, I know “P5” money and UNM is broke, but still... Where can I sign up to get 18 million dollars to do nothing 

and FSU paid Taggert's Oregon buyout

giphy.gif