Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sactowndog

Republican Party

Quote from a Fox News poll posted on Fox News:

“In addition, over half of Republicans (53 percent) say it is generally okay for the president to ask foreign leaders for help in going after his rivals, while slightly more (55 percent) think it is inappropriate for the children of political leaders to have business dealings in other countries.”

How does half the party think it’s okay to ask foreign leaders for help going after their rivals?   How does a major party lose their moral compass and any semblance of what is said in the constitution?

2 hours ago, sactowndog said:

“In addition, over half of Republicans (53 percent) say it is generally okay for the president to ask foreign leaders for help in going after his rivals, while slightly more (55 percent) think it is inappropriate for the children of political leaders to have business dealings in other countries.”

How does half the party think it’s okay to ask foreign leaders for help going after their rivals?   How does a major party lose their moral compass and any semblance of what is said in the constitution?

And do they completely ignore the fact that Trump's children are very actively involved in foreign business dealings? 

2 hours ago, sactowndog said:

That's easy... they're no longer the Republican party, they're the party of Trump.

2 hours ago, retrofade said:

That's easy... they're no longer the Republican party, they're the party of Trump.

The party has indeed gone to POT.

And the main reason is that its leadership is scared shitless of Mr. Grumpy. Maybe I should start calling him Mafia Don.

Boom goes the dynamite.

2 hours ago, toonkee said:

The other guy is worse.  That's how it's sold to both sides.  That allows one to overlook the "imperfections" on one's team.

It’s become an extension/generalization of “the other”, just applied to politics. 

10 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

Noonan's recent Wall Street journal editorial had a good take.  If Trump hadn't run off Kelly and Mattis the Ukraine phone call would not have happened.

Which quite neatly dovetails into this...

President Donald Trump’s former chief of staff, John Kelly, says he advised the president not to fill the job with someone who wouldn’t be honest with him and provide a check on his impulses because he would end up being impeached.

“That was almost 11 months ago, and I have an awful lot of, to say the least, second thoughts about leaving,” Kelly told the Washington Examiner. “It pains me to see what’s going on because I believe if I was still there or someone like me was there, he would not be kind of, all over the place.”

I said, whatever you do — and we were still in the process of trying to find someone to take my place — I said whatever you do, don’t hire a ‘yes man,’ someone who won’t tell you the truth — don’t do that. Because if you do, I believe you will be impeached,” Kelly recalled in an interview at the Sea Island Summit, a political conference hosted by the Examiner. Kelly said he does not believe the president would be in his current predicament if he had stayed as chief of staff.

https://time.com/5711644/john-kelly-trump-impeachment-warning/

2 hours ago, CPslograd said:

Noonan's recent Wall Street journal editorial had a good take.  If Trump hadn't run off Kelly and Mattis the Ukraine phone call would not have happened.

That’s probably true but isn’t that part of the problem?   Trump wants to do whatever he wants unchecked by advisors or our laws.  

7 hours ago, renoskier said:

And do they completely ignore the fact that Trump's children are very actively involved in foreign business dealings? 

You know perhaps I found the answer in China.   I just got back from traveling in China.  Everyone in China supports the current government over those in Hong Kong.   Why?  Because the people in China feel the government has made their life better.   

I don’t think it’s a surprise both Trump and Warren are leading.   People who feel disenfranchised and think someone is fighting for them will defend to the end.  

1 hour ago, sactowndog said:

That’s probably true but isn’t that part of the problem?   Trump wants to do whatever he wants unchecked by advisors or our laws.  

Yes, that was the point of the whole article.

A second term of Trump with yes men surrounding him will end badly.  

Equally or maybe even more depressing is the alternative the Democrats are offering.  Seriously, Biden, Sanders, and Warren is what the donkeys have to offer?  Those are shitty candidates too.

12 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Do you have a link to this poll? I hate to be the guy that says I don’t trust a random quote posted on the internet.....but I don’t trust a random quote posted on the internet. 

1 hour ago, CPslograd said:

Equally or maybe even more depressing is the alternative the Democrats are offering.  Seriously, Biden, Sanders, and Warren is what the donkeys have to offer?  Those are shitty candidates too.

True but given the Republicans are unlikely to loose the Senate and certainly won’t have a veto proof majority how much damage could they really do?

Will it be less bad than a further diminishment of any check on Presidential power and what a President is allowed to do?

1 hour ago, CPslograd said:

The leading candidates are indeed poor. I absolutely hate Trump, but I think nominating Warren or Sanders will guarantee him a second term. Unfortunately my children and their peers think Warren is great. Not sure Biden can hold it together through a grueling campaign, and I’m not keen on electing someone at his advanced age. It’s a depressing prospect. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

I think that’s the biggest thing to me in this madness.. How easily Republicans can ignore or justify Trumps actions, I feel pretty confident that if Obama had said 1+1 is 3, his base wouldn’t support it. There literally isn’t anything Trumps base won’t justify at this point. Anyone still along for the ride is not coming off.

4 hours ago, IanforHeisman said:

I think that’s the biggest thing to me in this madness.. How easily Republicans can ignore or justify Trumps actions, I feel pretty confident that if Obama had said 1+1 is 3, his base wouldn’t support it. There literally isn’t anything Trumps base won’t justify at this point. Anyone still along for the ride is not coming off.

Umm, no. Both Republicans and Democrats are zombie as shit. Whatever their leaders demand, they fall in line and obey.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

Bring on ranked choice voting and ban partisan gerrymandering. Stop sending the extremists from both sides to Washington and the state houses who are unaccountable to and unrepresentative of 65% of the electorate.

I’m not criticizing just the Republican Party here. Our democracy benefits from decentralization and competing ideas, but when our system is set up such that our representatives are firmly intrenched in ideologies that only represent the extremes of either side. And they are unaccountable to the other side due to partisan gerrymandering, it’s not a healthy place for our republic to be.

7 minutes ago, THEUniversityofNevada said:

Bring on ranked choice voting and ban partisan gerrymandering. Stop sending the extremists from both sides to Washington and the state houses who are unaccountable to and unrepresentative of 65% of the electorate.

I’m not criticizing just the Republican Party here. Our democracy benefits from decentralization and competing ideas, but when our system is set up such that our representatives are firmly intrenched in ideologies that only represent the extremes of either side. And they are unaccountable to the other side due to partisan gerrymandering, it’s not a healthy place for our republic to be.

the simpsons beer GIF

1 hour ago, THEUniversityofNevada said:

I’ve lived under extremes on both ends of the party spectrum, from dark red Idaho to deep blue Massachusetts. Both are f**ked up with the way they manage shit with their mega-majorities in their respective legislatures.

Under this two party shit, about the best we can ask for is a split system with a Democrat executive with a Republican legislature and court. When one party seizes control of all thee branches, the people get f**cked. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg