Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UofNPackFan

Electrical Engineer Reno and surrounding area.

Hello,

I may need to speak to an electrical engineer to see if they can build plans that will make my product work. (Can't explain that yet).  Looking at google I just don't know which company to go with.  My question is does anyone on here know of a good reputable, knowledgeable company to work with?  They can be in Reno, Sparks, Fallon, Fernley Carson.

You guidance is much appreciated. 

All electrical engineers are not equal. You'll need to be more specific. High Power, RF, power supply hardware, control syatems etc

What specific skills. firmware, FPGA, IC, DSP etc..,.

Most people with" good ideas" want an engineer to basically generate IP for them on the cheap.  Most engineers will not take that kind of work on without a significant, perhaps even majority ownership stake, unless the other party brings significant funding, marketing and organizational skills with them.

Good Idea faries are a dime a dozen.

Your best bet may be an engineering student

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

4 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

All electrical engineers are not equal. You'll need to be more specific. High Power, RF, power supply hardware, control syatems etc

What specific skills. firmware, FPGA, IC, DSP etc..,.

Most people with" good ideas" want an engineer to basically generate IP for them on the cheap.  Most engineers will not take that kind of work on without a significant, perhaps even majority ownership stake, unless the other party brings significant funding, marketing and organizational skills with them.

Good Idea faries are a dime a dozen.

Your best bet may be an engineering student

Thank you.

It will be related to high powered power supply transfering, regeneration.

56 minutes ago, UofNPackFan said:

Thank you.

It will be related to high powered power supply transfering, regeneration.

I bet that Nevada hosts a job fair and keeps a list of the companies that show up and what majors they're interested in. You might be able to contact the university and get a list of electrical engineering hiring companies and be able to use that list to look at websites or make some phone calls. A problem you might run in to is a lot of high power electricals work for utilities instead of as consultants, so your pool is going to be more limited than other types of engineering. Another method you could do is call your utility and ask them what consultants they use for high power electricals if and when they use them. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

12 minutes ago, happycamper said:

I bet that Nevada hosts a job fair and keeps a list of the companies that show up and what majors they're interested in. You might be able to contact the university and get a list of electrical engineering hiring companies and be able to use that list to look at websites or make some phone calls. A problem you might run in to is a lot of high power electricals work for utilities instead of as consultants, so your pool is going to be more limited than other types of engineering. Another method you could do is call your utility and ask them what consultants they use for high power electricals if and when they use them. 

Thanks good ideas.

I might talk to the innovation department from the university.  I know they have some people there that I can hire. I did forget about them for some reason. 

14 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Back in my days working for a CA utility Sacramento State was high on our list for recruiting "power" electrical engineers.  It's somewhat close to Reno so they might be a good source as well.

1 hour ago, Meister_Rebel said:

Back in my days working for a CA utility Sacramento State was high on our list for recruiting "power" electrical engineers.  It's somewhat close to Reno so they might be a good source as well.

Thanks, but to far for me.  I have to keep it close to home.

4 hours ago, Meister_Rebel said:

Engineers don't come out of school with specialization. That is gained as  a result of industry experience.  Additionally, the days of slide rule engineering are long past. Consulting engineers have overhead in the form of very expensive software tools and in many cases, even more expensive test equipment, taxes, health insurance etc. When I was consulting,which is nearly fifteen years ago, my billing rate was anywhere between $125.00 and $175.00/hr, depending on whether or not I had to bring in outside skills such as packaging or PWB folks. 

You need to bring more to the party than just an idea.  You need to understand the market and have sufficient technical background to grasp the complexities of the design. Engineers that are employed in the targeted field are often employed by corporations that don't take kindly to their engineers working for the competition and as mentioned above, true skill in the form of a consultant isn't cheap.

My advice would be to learn the skills you need to advance your design to partial functionality and fully understand the remaining tasks for completion. Then, contract out those discrete design tasks.

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

1 hour ago, SDSUfan said:

Engineers don't come out of school with specialization. That is gained as  a result of industry experience.  Additionally, the days of slide rule engineering are long past. Consulting engineers have overhead in the form of very expensive software tools and in many cases, even more expensive test equipment, taxes, health insurance etc. When I was consulting,which is nearly fifteen years ago, my billing rate was anywhere between $125.00 and $175.00/hr, depending on whether or not I had to bring in outside skills such as packaging or PWB folks. 

You need to bring more to the party than just an idea.  You need to understand the market and have sufficient technical background to grasp the complexities of the design. Engineers that are employed in the targeted field are often employed by corporations that don't take kindly to their engineers working for the competition and as mentioned above, true skill in the form of a consultant isn't cheap.

My advice would be to learn the skills you need to advance your design to partial functionality and fully understand the remaining tasks for completion. Then, contract out those discrete design tasks.

I am not building anything.  I am not doing a startup. 

I just need to know whether I can get the power to the right places to make it work. $175 an hour to tell me where and how sounds great to me.

2 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

Having worked and recruited electrical engineers for a large utility company I can say you don’t know what you’re talking about.  There are universities that give a lot more practical experience than others.  We pumped thousands of dollars to some of those schools.

On 11/2/2019 at 7:00 PM, UofNPackFan said:

Hello,

I may need to speak to an electrical engineer to see if they can build plans that will make my product work. (Can't explain that yet).  Looking at google I just don't know which company to go with.  My question is does anyone on here know of a good reputable, knowledgeable company to work with?  They can be in Reno, Sparks, Fallon, Fernley Carson.

You guidance is much appreciated. 

Talk to BlewMules, he’s in Fallon. Electrical Engineers are stupid and a big joke to him, and he’ll figure it out for you. He can do anything. 

kat.jpg

2 hours ago, Meister_Rebel said:

Having worked and recruited electrical engineers for a large utility company I can say you don’t know what you’re talking about.  There are universities that give a lot more practical experience than others.  We pumped thousands of dollars to some of those schools.

I guess forty years of actually being an electrical engineer, to include managing, hiring and training young engineers makes me unqualified to provide insight.  My apologies. I stand corrected.

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

3 hours ago, UofNPackFan said:

I am not building anything.  I am not doing a startup. 

I just need to know whether I can get the power to the right places to make it work. $175 an hour to tell me where and how sounds great to me.

Good luck with your idea. I hope it works out for you. Sounds like you may just need an electrician

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke