Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bigd

Nevada president stepping down

1 hour ago, mugtang said:

I have no insider information here. But Murray mentioned its likely to be Carman in an article. Who knows :shrug:

Murray! 😂😂 I’m surprised he didn’t name a Dodger as the leading candidate or write a top 10 list to make his point. Murray has no clue. 

I have no insider information here. But Murray mentioned its likely to be Carman in an article. Who knows :shrug:

Murray is usually last to know on matters of significance at the University. His track record is not good.

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

1 minute ago, battle.borne said:

Murray is usually last to know on matters of significance at the University. His track record is not good.

Why do you hate me?

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Also, just curious what makes you say that he's anti-athletics? Do you have background info? He comes from Florida State and LSU, so obviously knows what things are like at a P5 school. Has he said or done things to indicate that he would cut funding to our programs?

Chris Ault. He ran the AD.

I'm not sure why SJSU didn't remove the interim tag and make her the Univeristy's Persident, but Dr. Susan Martin would be good for Nevada. Her time at SJSU and EMU (both of a similar profile of UNR's) I think would make her a good candidate.

Although her presidency has not been without conflict, Martin has been "seen by many as a stabilizing force on the Ypsilanti campus"[26] at a time when the university had four presidents in five years,[12] and scandals forced her two immediate predecessors from office.[26] Reflecting on her oversight to date, EMU has seen enrollment increases, new campus buildings and new faculty hires.[22] When her contract was renewed in 2013, the EMU Board of Regents chairwoman Francine Parker described Martin as having the board’s full support

According to AnnArbor.com, "Martin's personnel file, obtained though a FOIA request, reveals that her support among the board appears to have grown from 2008 to 2011."[29] When her contract was extended in 2010, then-Chair of the Board of Regents Roy Wilbanks said in a press release, “President Martin has led Eastern and provided EMU with a stability unmatched during this decade. It’s been a time of significant growth in terms of enrollment and facilities...despite a challenging economy.”[21] In a December 15, 2011 review, regent Beth Fitzsimmons wrote, "For the past decade I have never seen such positive discussion about and support for EMU."

Enrollment

n 2014, EMU welcomed its third largest freshman class in a decade at 2,555 enrollees, including a record number of freshmen enrolled in the Honors College at nearly 500.[34] To help enroll (and graduate) more first-generation and low-income minority men from the university, the Men of Color Degree Completion and Retention Plans program was announced in October 2014.[43][44] The goal of the program is to improve services and processes that can help minority male students graduate and prepare students to interact with people from diverse backgrounds.[43][44] The university’s minority population for the 2014-2015 school year consisted of 724 Hispanic students and 3,500 African American student of the approximately 18,000 attending.

EMU Science Complex

During Martin’s presidency, the university undertook the single largest construction project in its history.[54] In December 2010, a $90 million science complex[55] upgrade was unveiled, featuring a spherical planetarium suspended five stories above an open atrium area in an 80,000 square-foot laboratory, classroom and office addition to the campus’ Mark Jefferson Science Building.[54]

Athletics Development

Martin has been a strong advocate of Eastern’s athletic program, its position as a Division I school and determining how to make the program competitive.[12] She hired Heather Lyke as EMU’s athletic director and vice president in 2013 to reinvigorate the program, represent athletics as part of the academic community and integrate the athletic department into the university community.[65] She is tasked with evaluating their teams and putting in place appropriate leadership to create winning teams to attract more fans to Eastern games, among other athletic department roles.[65]

In March 2013, Eastern Michigan University’s athletic department received its NCAA certification.[83] Recertification occurs every 10 years, following a rigorous year-long self-study involving more than 50 people and focused on governance and commitment to: rules and compliance, academic integrity, gender equity, diversity and student athlete well-being.[83] At the time of the announcement, EMU’s 21 varsity teams had a cumulative grade point average of 3.201 for the fall 2012 semester, the highest in the school’s history.[83]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_Martin