Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JuwanHWolv

AAC is strong. Will 11 teams make them stronger???

There’s a place where AAC fans are allowed to have circle jerks about how great they are.  Maybe you’d feel more comfortable there @JuwanHWolv?

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

On 10/31/2019 at 1:58 AM, JuwanHWolv said:

The AAC is gettin ESPN Gameday again this year and is competitive with the ACC in terms of overall conference strength.

My question is: Does an 11 team configuration give them even more of an advantage?? It’s seriously looking that way. Taking Uconn’s rating out of their overall ratings is a huge boost. UConn is horrible.

Its astonishing they were able to break from such a dreg so cleanly and get paid a kings ransom. UConn was an anchor in roundball too. It’s astonishing they were able to remove them and get paid. Why can’t that happen for the MWC?

Would MWC FB benefit by going to 11 teams?

NO..... they will go to 12 teams if they can find one with decent football AND basketball. If going to 11 teams benefited anyone we could simply make UNLV basketball only.

2 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Sorry.  But UConn was the only nationally elite program the AAC had.  UConn is the only school the Big East was ever interested in adding.

It's funny watching you pretend that UConn isn't a huge loss.

I think it’s good for everyone to see the AAC do well. The fear of them being a part of “the establishment” shouldn’t make a MWC fan lose perspective. Even if they were embraced by the establishment, that would just make it easier for the MWC to become the regular NY6 participant against the CUSA/MAC/Sunbelt. Things like Gameday being at Memphis-SMU tomorrow actually help the MWC and places like BYU. 

If BYU thinks UConn is valuable, then they should add them to their schedules. I think Holmoe would be smart to do that (and try to get hoops games while they are still ‘down’) as high RPI/Massey/Sagarin games are being harder to come by, and the WCC isn’t much stronger than the MWC.

Its all relative.

For some conferences, eliminating the riff raff is more realistic because their metrics contain more Top 100 programs. But when there are more bottom 10 programs, you have to give more consideration to historical accomplishments.

9 minutes ago, 1066 said:

NO..... they will go to 12 teams if they can find one with decent football AND basketball. If going to 11 teams benefited anyone we could simply make UNLV basketball only.

Conference constriction is the future.

It started with the Big 12.

Who knew that adding TCU and WVU would support such a stout 10 team basketball league?

I just don’t see the AAC bumping up another team again. Maybe a FB only but I think that would be stretching it as I believe that divisionless football is the future. In basketball, 11 teams seems to be the magic number. 

Enjoy the weekends games my friends. 

7 minutes ago, JuwanHWolv said:

I think it’s good for everyone to see the AAC do well. The fear of them being a part of “the establishment” shouldn’t make a MWC fan lose perspective. Even if they were embraced by the establishment, that would just make it easier for the MWC to become the regular NY6 participant against the CUSA/MAC/Sunbelt. Things like Gameday being at Memphis-SMU tomorrow actually help the MWC and places like BYU. 

If BYU thinks UConn is valuable, then they should add them to their schedules. I think Holmoe would be smart to do that (and try to get hoops games while they are still ‘down’) as high RPI/Massey/Sagarin games are being harder to come by, and the WCC isn’t much stronger than the MWC.

Its all relative.

For some conferences, eliminating the riff raff is more realistic because their metrics contain more Top 100 programs. But when there are more bottom 10 programs, you have to give more consideration to historical accomplishments.

I know some of the AAC posters are unjustifiably proud of their teams and conference but the program which needs help is not in the AAC or the MWC.  Frankly BYU has been on a downward curve for over 5 years. I have more of a positive view of the LDS than many poster because when I lived in Kentucky I worked as a volunteer in a LDS genealogical library for about 5 years. I found them to be generally excellent people. BYU however does NOT display that excellence very well. 

Guest #1Stunner
23 minutes ago, JuwanHWolv said:

Its all relative.

UConn is joining the Big East.

7 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

4.  Rocky Long refuses to modernize his offense thus lowering the ceiling for SDSU football.

Same for Les Miles before he got fired at LSU.  Now look at what LSU is accomplishing with a more open and passing offense to compliment the running game.

9 minutes ago, 1066 said:

I know some of the AAC posters are unjustifiably proud of their teams and conference but the program which needs help is not in the AAC or the MWC.  Frankly BYU has been on a downward curve for over 5 years. I have more of a positive view of the LDS than many poster because when I lived in Kentucky I worked as a volunteer in a LDS genealogical library for about 5 years. I found them to be generally excellent people. BYU however does NOT display that excellence very well. 

Wichita State and AAC needed each other.  That is how these relationships work--both must benefit.  WSU, after AAC conference acceptance, went out and signed their two top basketball recruiting classes ever.

It appears BYU and AAC need each other and I would point out to BYU how both Wichita State and AAC benefitted.

53 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Sorry.  But UConn was the only nationally elite program the AAC had.  UConn is the only school the Big East was ever interested in adding.

Agreed.  Losing UConn basketball was a huge basketball loss.  Football?  Not so much.

14 minutes ago, Tulsa Guy said:

Wichita State and AAC needed each other.  That is how these relationships work--both must benefit. 

So, does that mean Tulsa will be joining the Sun Belt?  God knows nobody is benefiting from the current relationship.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

6 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

UConn is a national brand and I hate to see them go but...

1) their NCAA tourney credits are done paying out.

2) football is the driving force behind the AACs TV deal so losing UConn doesn't really hurt there

3) they've really fallen off the last 3 seasons

so things could be worse.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

4 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

I have great respect for the AAC, they have taken schools like Tulsa, East Carolina, Middle Tennessee St, Marshall and UMASS and created a pretty good brand. 

Ignore these haters.

just as we enjoy watching BYU and NMSU compete in the MWC :-)

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Guest #1Stunner
41 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

UConn is a national brand and I hate to see them go but...

1) their NCAA tourney credits are done paying out.

2) football is the driving force behind the AACs TV deal so losing UConn doesn't really hurt there

3) they've really fallen off the last 3 seasons

so things could be worse.

UConn is going to earn a lot from the Big East

19 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

UConn is going to earn a lot from the Big East

Especially since their current contract just aint that much less per team than the new AAC contact, is considered undervalued, and is up for negotiation many years sooner.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Guest #1Stunner
9 minutes ago, RSF said:

Especially since their current contract just aint that much less per team than the new AAC contact, is considered undervalued, and is up for negotiation many years sooner.

Agreed.  And also the Big East gets so many tourney credits.

So, they'll get money from the Big East TV contract, Big East tourney credits, and then selling their football TV rights. (with less travel, since they appear to be scheduling regional teams like Syracuse, Army, Boston College, Temple, etc).

Can't really blame UConn.

Navy leaving in two years with a scheduling agreement is probably more likely than Houston allowing Rice to join the AAC (AAU like Tulane and we know that impresses AAC administrators) so I think the AAC goes to ten with a Navy scheduling agreement.

Please note Navy already has a separate television agreement with CBS that expires before the AAC conference deal expires.

I fail to understand why the AAC peeps feel the continued need to spread their propaganda on the MWC board. Was that an edict from Arresco? You would think they would invade all the P5 team boards trying to convince them of their P6 status. OTOH, maybe they do. Or, they get laughed off those boards and have to torment us with their greatness.