Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Congrats Wyoming, time to fold the Nevada football program

34 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

It literally takes decades to build long-term fan sentiment. Poor field results can have short term effects on attendance (remember, we're talking decades of a program building a fan base), but without 50+ years of solid backing by a near unconditional base of fans and donors, it is very difficult to sustain an FBS program beyond season to season support.

I agree with that.

Still, most in  Logan are BYU fans and the vast majority of USU grads live two hours away in Salt Lake City. There are some similarities to Wyoming in that respect. However, USU does not have the  deep pocketed, gas and oil investors who are desperate to unload their cash on their alma mater.

The funny thing about Utah is, that while most grads here went to USU or the U, they have been and will always be BYU fans.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

So winning and budget is interesting. I went back 5 and 10 years (including THIS season) looking at the middle of the rung MWC teams. Those who generally finish in the middle in the divisions. And note also the WAC programs who have joined the MWC later so the numbers aren’t perfect or fair so keep that in mind.  

Boise/SDSU - clearly best in conference most years. I didn’t bother to calculate.

Nevada/CSU/Wyoming/USU/Fresno/Hawaii - Middle of conference most years

Vegas/UNM/SJSU - Bottom most years.  I didn’t bother to calculate other than Vegas for laughs. 

AFA - outlier because of mission
———
5 Year - 10 Year = Total
Nevada - 27-31 and 38-27 = 65-58
Wyo - 30-29 and 22-38 = 52-67
CSU - 27-32 and 28-35 = 55-67
Fresno - 29-30 and 38-28 = 67-58
USU - 30-28 and 41-25 = 71-53
Hawaii - 26-35 and 24-40 = 50-75

Vegas - 18-38 and 15-48 = 32-86 😂😂

So I’m not going to argue this but I will say the difference between winning at this level and losing isn’t that extreme. 

I would support folding the program. Dropping down to FCS just prolongs the pain. Northern Nevada interest in Nevada football has never been lower. Season tickets are the lowest they've been since the FCS days and the facilities are at the bottom of the conference.  The University wont fund the program properly and we don't have mega boosters who can cover the infrastructure needed to remain relevant... Then you factor in how much further ahead Boise is from Nevada and it might be time to wave the white flag. Sorry Coach Ault, the momentum you built is long gone. 

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

On 10/26/2019 at 3:13 PM, mugtang said:

But I do. I’m just frustrated as shit.  We’re the worst 4-4 team in the country :frustrated:

You should be 5-3, dammit! SJSU wants that game back.

I have always respected Nevada. I'm sure you UNR will turn it around and trend up.

Damn accountants, always so pessimistic.

19 minutes ago, battle.borne said:

I would support folding the program. Dropping down to FCS just prolongs the pain. Northern Nevada interest in Nevada football has never been lower. Season tickets are the lowest they've been since the FCS days and the facilities are at the bottom of the conference.  The University wont fund the program properly and we don't have mega boosters who can cover the infrastructure needed to remain relevant... Then you factor in how much further ahead Boise is from Nevada and it might be time to wave the white flag. Sorry Coach Ault, the momentum you built is long gone. 

Remain relevant?? Was Nevada ever relevant? Is any team in this conference outside of Boise considered “relevant?” 

That’s the thing. As bad as the situation is right now and I agree the team is playing horrible football, Nevada’s record is still not the worst in this conference this season, at 5 years or even 10. A school like CSU has dumped $100s of millions into its product and is not winning. 

Just now, DoubleBlueGold said:

You should be 5-3, dammit! SJSU wants that game back.

I have always respected Nevada. I'm sure you UNR will turn it around and trend up.

Damn accountants, always so pessimistic.

TBH, we should’ve blown the doors off of SJSU.  Boneheaded coaching decisions allowed SJSU to climb back into that game and credit to SJSU for doing it but still that game should’ve been a blowout. Sorry. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

On 10/26/2019 at 3:19 PM, SleepingGiantFan said:

For many years there was a solid cadre of SDSU professors who advocated eliminating its football program. Following three years of the worst coach in SDSU history, Chuck Long, the Union-Tribune beat writer opined that football should be eliminated. Finally, in about 2009, the gang leader, a professor of philosophy, managed to get a couple members of the board of directors of the faculty senate to sponsor a vote of the entire senate on the matter. IIRC, the vote was something like 22% in favor of shutting the program down and there hasn't been a scintilla of methane gas emanating from an academic sphincter since.

Nevada should absolutely NOT eliminate its football program. Instead, it should get together with SDSU, Fresno State, Hawaii, UNLV, USU and a couple other western universities to create a new conference which would make more sense than the one we're currently members of and one which is headed by a commissioner with an IQ at least 40 points higher than that of Craig Thompson. Maybe offer two Texas schools not located in El Paso so as to maximize football recruiting.

If it includes SJSU- I'm good with this. Including a top BSC school like EWU should be a discussion point in new Pacific/western conference. I think having a western  an Pacific states oriented conference makes sense.

2 minutes ago, mugtang said:

TBH, we should’ve blown the doors off of SJSU.  Boneheaded coaching decisions allowed SJSU to climb back into that game and credit to SJSU for doing it but still that game should’ve been a blowout. Sorry. 

It could have been a blowout, not due to SJSU being bad or UNR being that much better, but because things were just not going our way in that game. They started immediately with the terrible snap that fly by Love. And that's the thing, this Spartan squad is resilient. Fought back and should have won. Norvelle and staff were out-coached.

I starting to think that Norvelle is overrated as at coach. UNR almost had Beau Baldwin. I think he would have been great at UNR, but clearly the money wasn't there if he decided to go and be the OC at Cal.

18 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

It does make more sense to drop the sport entirely rather than dropping down to FCS.  I don't think either is in the cards.  They just spent a lot of dough on Mackay.  I am not sure they would want to just eat that.

Looks great for the soccer team though.  We're not dropping anything.  It's just fans blowing off steam.  Norvell has dropped us so far the next coach will have a major rebuild.  

I think things can be made easier without forming a new football conference.  If the MW were to become a football only conference, schools could house their olympic sports in conferences that made more sense regionally and financially.  They could make their budget dollars go further with the non revenue sports.

If they had a regional home for their olympic sports Boise, AFA and SDSU could leave the MW football conference and hook up with the AAC if they wished to.  You are talking long trips for 4 or 5 football games but a nice tight fit for the other sports.

For instance.

NM/UNLV

FSU/SDSU

NV/Boise

Maybe Davis and BYU

or perhaps some other combo with essentially CA schools.  Tight easy travel  to bigger towns with nice airports.  

18 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

It could have been a blowout, not due to SJSU being bad or UNR being that much better, but because things were just not going our way in that game. They started immediately with the terrible snap that fly by Love. And that's the thing, this Spartan squad is resilient. Fought back and should have won. Norvelle and staff were out-coached.

I starting to think that Norvelle is overrated as at coach. UNR almost had Beau Baldwin. I think he would have been great at UNR, but clearly the money wasn't there if he decided to go and be the OC at Cal.

Nevada beat SJSU. Nevada almost always beats SJSU like a drum. Fact. 

6 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Yeah. That's not being disputed.

26 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

When Baldwin left Reno he thought he had the job & the E. Wash fans knew it so it made it pretty awkward for him to stay there.  Ault came in late & recommended Norvell.  I don't think Beau would have left a HC job at Nevada for OC at Cal.

11 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Maybe it's time to retell this story.  Years ago Nevada was in the BW & the WAC ADs had voted to add the Pack.  We were surprised when SJSU & all their TVs got picked over us.  I talked to 1 of their fans & told him we were disappointed that they got the nod over us.  He said, "but, you're Nevada".  Nonplussed I told him I enjoyed the games & hoped we would still play each other.  He said, "Nah, you guys always beat us".  True story.    

1 hour ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Baldwin might still get his chance in a year.

2 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Remain relevant?? Was Nevada ever relevant? Is any team in this conference outside of Boise considered “relevant?” 

That’s the thing. As bad as the situation is right now and I agree the team is playing horrible football, Nevada’s record is still not the worst in this conference this season, at 5 years or even 10. A school like CSU has dumped $100s of millions into its product and is not winning. 

The 2010 roster was comprised of 20 players who were either drafted or who earned an NFL paycheck ... This years roster may not have a single player who will ever make a roster. I'd say Nevada was relevant for a brief moment in time.  

Barker, Chris

Bitonio, Joel

Burnett, Kaelin

Fajardo, Cody

Frey, Isaiah

Green, Jeremiah

Green, Virgil

Hekking, Brock

Johnson, James-Michael

Kaepernick, Colin

Marshall, Brandon

Matthews, Rishard

Moch, Dontay

Roberts, Kyle

Roy, Brett

Session, Tray

Sudfeld, Zach

Taua, Vai

Williams, Duke

Wooten, Khalid

13 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

Baldwin might still get his chance in a year.

He's not exactly blowing the doors off as Cal's OC. They lost their QB but they are inconsistent at best.

On 10/26/2019 at 4:23 PM, SleepingGiantFan said:

It's that sort of attitude that makes me think SDSU needs to separate itself from you guys. Yeah you bring some positives but you're as high maintenance as YBU but with less potential upside.

OK, I get the high maintenance angle, but YBU's potential upside?!?! 

Haven't we been watching what that potential upside is for the past few years?  A mix of a surprise win or two (USC, Boise), a couple bad losses and losses to rivals (USF, Toledo, Utah, Utah State), then an unmotivated team playing and sometimes losing to cupcakes to finish off the season? 

Boise State has more potential upside finishing 4th in their division in the MWC! :ph34r: