Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

UConn thrilled to leave the AAC. New Indy Football Schedule for 2020 about to be announced.

20 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

that's not how any of this works. if we wanted regional we would join the Sun Belt...we want money, exposure, and good competition.

UConn wants to play basketball with Nova, Providence, St Johns, Georgetown, Marquette, etc to the detriment of their football program...I don't want that for my program.

Difference is, UConn played with those schools for what, 40 years?  They value hoops and other olympic sports, same as the BE does.

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Don't forget the little facts that even if TCU wasn't better and didn't have a cross town rival in SMU and weren't in the P5 they still wouldn't give a damn about creating a rivalry with BYU.

BYU already has all the rivals they will ever have.  There will never be a P5 rival for BYU other than Utah.  Take it to the bank, all your rivals are in the MWC and in-state.  You might have a few WCC basketball rivals but without football these are mini rivalries.

1 hour ago, RSF said:

Dont necessarily agree with that.  But given that all those things are true, such a rivalry is a logistical issue, not an emotional one.  Playing BYU was a blast back in the day.

1 hour ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Can you at least get on board with trolling @#1Stunner ?  C'mon, it's fun :P

1 hour ago, RSF said:

How do you know I'm not trolling you?

BYU fans love TCU.  Their fans are all class.  Fort Worth has amazing food.

But like I said, TCU is too damn good.   Plus, their coaches' ex-wife is a BYU fan....

BYU's next rivalry appears to be with UConn.

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, UofMTigers said:

that's not how any of this works. if we wanted regional we would join the Sun Belt...we want money, exposure, and good competition.

UConn wants to play basketball with Nova, Providence, St Johns, Georgetown, Marquette, etc to the detriment of their football program...I don't want that for my program.

UConn appears to have strengthened both their football and basketball schedules.

18 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

UConn appears to have strengthened both their football and basketball schedules.

the last 3 seasons UConn is 3-21 against the AAC in football and 22-32 against the AAC in basketball...so is that really a good thing?

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, UofMTigers said:

the last 3 seasons UConn is 3-21 against the AAC in football and 22-32 against the AAC in basketball...so is that really a good thing?

I don't think they care.

They are improving their basketball schedules, and it looks like also, their football schedules.  It will be interesting to see what TV deal they sign for the home football games.  Maybe ESPN?

2 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

Louisville and Rutgers announced they were leaving the Big East in 2012...not the AAC which formed in 2013 from the rubble.

moreover, UConn views the Big East as a 'power conference' because they don't care about football.

Bsu. 

Suds

uconn

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

11 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

I don't think they care.

They improving their basketball schedules, and it looks like also, their football schedules.  It will be interesting to see what TV deal they sign for the home football games.  Maybe ESPN?

and not only are they "3-21 against the AAC in football and 22-32 against the AAC in basketball" but they're going to pay us 17 million to leave...so I hope it works out for em. Hell, I hope Memphis signs a home-home with UConn...better than USA or UL-M in my opinion.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

49 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

BYU fans love TCU.  Their fans are all class.  Fort Worth has amazing food.

But like I said, TCU is too damn good.   Plus, their coaches' ex-wife is a BYU fan....

BYU's next rivalry appears to be with UConn.

Indy scheduling agreements are not rivalries.  They're about survival.

8 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

Lol. Doesn’t matter what it was called. They left the exact same conference as what is now the aac. Just like UConn. UConn would rather kill off their football program after investing millions than be associated with you guys. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

Guest #1Stunner
3 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Indy scheduling agreements are not rivalries.  They're about survival.

Depends on fan attendance at the game.

4 minutes ago, boisewitha-s said:

Lol. Doesn’t matter what it was called. They left the exact same conference as what is now the aac. Just like UConn. UConn would rather kill off their football program after investing millions than be associated with you guys. 

that's why they never fit in no matter how hard we tried...we give a crap about football in the AAC.

Tulane is about to go to back-to-back bowls while Tulsa won 10 games and played in the Indy Bowl a few seasons back...even our crap teams care more about football than UConn.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

2 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Memphis should try and follow UConn.

Join the Big East and go Indy in Football.   Would you do that?

no...look how far our football program has come since joining the AAC. I wouldn't trade the last five football seasons for a basketball only conference no matter how good it is.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

9 minutes ago, boisewitha-s said:

it matters because that disaster got John Marinatto fired. It's why the American ended up with 100+ million in exit fees that allowed us to take a low money/high exposure offer from the ESPN.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

4 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

Holmoe has done an excellent job with scheduling, but I hope he doesn't do a long term deal with UCONN.  I think there are 80+ other schools that BYU fans would rather play.  

4 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

demand Holmoe include a basketball long term series with UCONN or you won't let him go trick or treating :)

our new AD is all about having BYU on the schedule for football, apparently early on he's had discussions with state auditors

I'd have no problem at all with scheduling UConn in football if some home-and-home basketball series came along with it.  It's tough getting quality non-conference opponents into the Marriott Center.

3 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

I get the argument for going to 8 games, it certainly increases the odds for your conference to look stronger (like the SEC does) but I don't think fans prefer it.  And I don't trust that we would be able to fill that spot with a school that would provide more interest.  If we had another spot open, Utah would fill it with Rice, Eastern Michigan or occasionally a school like Baylor, Pitt, North Carolina or Arkansas.  Honestly, I'd rather play another game against a team from the Pac-12 North. 

For example, Alabama only plays football in Athen's, GA once every 8 years because of the current SEC's schedule.  That's just lame.

Utah may prefer another game against a Pac-12 North team, but most Pac-12 North teams could fill that spot with a more compelling opponent than Utah.

3 hours ago, Wyovanian said:

It's another unlearned lesson in geographic sustainability.

It is.  But geographic sustainability assumes there are interesting geographic peers to partner with.  Sam Houston State is 40 minute drive from Texas A&M.  I doubt the two will ever be a conference together.   Most of the AAC members are schools that just missed the cut for the power conferences that control their region.   Thus, these schools were left with just two choices---neither of them all that great.  They could partner with nearby non-peer schools that aren't very good---resulting in a crappy uninteresting league with easy travel.   Or---they could partner with true peer schools that are similar---but much farther away---resulting in a high quality league--that has little cohesion.   It is what it is.  Sometimes you  just have make the best of your situation and pick your poison.     

I think UConn made the right decision.  They were fooling themselves thinking that their football was ever going to look enticing to a power conference.  The Big East will be an outstanding home for them.  Their future is basketball. They will stumble through a few 1 or 2 win indy seasons in an empty football stadium.  In 3 years their lease on the stadium in Hartford ends.  I bet they drop to  FCS shortly thereafter.