Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alum93

Deaths of Despair

8 hours ago, alum93 said:

Nope, you are referencing this sarcastic reply to YOUR post.  Read again.

And by "racists" you mean those that use negative stereotypes to make broad generalizations about a particular race?  (That's you)

Only if we are making fun of the SEC, then yes...  (That's me.  And most people can spot a joke and sarcasm rather easily, not to mention your question didn't really warrant a serious reply in my opinion.)

However, if you have an issue with SEC jokes or threads, well i really don't care.  I'll try to clarify if people in general take them wrong though.  With close to 3,000 posts, i am pretty sure i have shown i am not racist.  To each their own though.  Peace...  

I don't think you were being racist at all. 

I live in the south and it's clear that the mortality rates are due to obesity.  Check any study done and it will show the states down here are in the top 10.

Much like SEC football but those guys have nutritionists and trainers. The average SEC fan eats roadkill fried. 

54 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

I know half of you favor legalization of drugs, but I blame the opiod epidemic for falling life expectancy rates.

What? More than half of us are good with marijuana legalization but no more than 2 or 3 favor "legalization of drugs ". Come on. 

5 hours ago, renoskier said:

What? More than half of us are good with marijuana legalization but no more than 2 or 3 favor "legalization of drugs ". Come on. 

Nah, I'm not talking about marijuana.  It's a bunch, go through some old threads or do a poll

On 10/23/2019 at 10:43 PM, CPslograd said:

I know half of you favor legalization of drugs, but I blame the opiod epidemic for falling life expectancy rates.

Opioids, for the purpose of getting high, are illegal. And yet here we are.

I'm not aware of any countries that have fully legalized hard drugs, so we don't know how this might affect a society and I'm not advocating it. But after almost 40 years of miserably failed war on drugs, we can be confident that ever tougher punishments aren't the solution. Portugal probably comes closest to a full legalization: they decriminalized all personal drug use two decades ago. Both the number of drug-related HIV and the number of drug deaths has decreased dramatically since then. Based on numbers I just read, Portugal's drug mortality rate is now a third of Wyoming's by virtue of better access to treatment, needle exchanges, sanitation, etc. 

Also worth noting: Portugal is a piss-poor country (compared to other developed countries), so they must have pulled this off with very limited resources.

Here is an interesting article: https://time.com/longform/portugal-drug-use-decriminalization/

On 10/23/2019 at 11:21 AM, alum93 said:

Clearly you missed the sarcasm.

If you want a serious answer,  this board tends to monitor itself pretty well.  And Mug does a great job as well.  At least as long as i have been on it, which is a fraction of others, i don't recall any blatant racism.  Everyone is pretty cool, no matter how far right or left their views, which is why we spend time here. With respect to this specific thread, i reread the posts and stand by that statement.  And to be even more clear.  here is the exact sentence from the article itself, which was posted at the top, hence SEC land reference.  You see, there is this powerful football conference that...  Ah, never mind.

The highest mortality rates are most prevalent in America’s heartland, in states such as Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, and Kentucky, Brookings found. Those regions are precisely the places where the manufacturing and coal mining jobs that used to provide predominantly men without college degrees a lower-middle-class existence as blue-collar workers have disappeared.

You are not a serious person.  Nothing you have ever posted on this board made a serious point.

Mostly you are a racist emotionally crippled thinker who can't respond seriously.  This post is a good example of what you think is okay.   Politically correct racism.

4 hours ago, I am Ram said:

Opioids, for the purpose of getting high, are illegal. And yet here we are.

I'm not aware of any countries that have fully legalized hard drugs, so we don't know how this might affect a society and I'm not advocating it. But after almost 40 years of miserably failed war on drugs, we can be confident that ever tougher punishments aren't the solution. Portugal probably comes closest to a full legalization: they decriminalized all personal drug use two decades ago. Both the number of drug-related HIV and the number of drug deaths has decreased dramatically since then. Based on numbers I just read, Portugal's drug mortality rate is now a third of Wyoming's by virtue of better access to treatment, needle exchanges, sanitation, etc. 

Also worth noting: Portugal is a piss-poor country (compared to other developed countries), so they must have pulled this of with very limited resources.

Here is an interesting article: https://time.com/longform/portugal-drug-use-decriminalization/

What's your solution bud?  You want to decriminalize crack?  Meth?  Offer up some solutions.  Convince me decriminalizing meth is gonna be a good deal.

The only thing that propaganda from that author talked about was clean needles and methodone, we do that shit here already.

On 10/25/2019 at 8:21 PM, CPslograd said:

What's your solution bud?  You want to decriminalize crack?  Meth?  Offer up some solutions.  Convince me decriminalizing meth is gonna be a good deal.

The only thing that propaganda from that author talked about was clean needles and methodone, we do that shit here already.

If decriminalization ends in less deaths, less addicts, and less HIV, then it is obviously the correct course. Portugal treats opioid addiction as a sickness instead of a crime and their success speaks for itself. I think it's worth a shot to try the same thing with other drugs. If it doesn't work, stop it. I care far more about the results than the moral implications of the process (to a degree of course, I don't think that going all Singapore on people is a good idea and for that matter, Singapore's policies probably only work due to the extremely unique demographics of that nation more than the effects of its policies anyway). 

I mean, meth was in widespread OTC use in Thailand and Japan for decades while they went from post war devastation to industrialization. Its results weren't great but they weren't "meth not even once" either; the context of drug use matters a lot. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

6 hours ago, happycamper said:

If decriminalization ends in less deaths, less addicts, and less HIV, then it is obviously the correct course. Portugal treats opioid addiction as a sickness instead of a crime and their success speaks for itself. I think it's worth a shot to try the same thing with other drugs. If it doesn't work, stop it. I care far more about the results than the moral implications of the process (to a degree of course, I don't think that going all Singapore on people is a good idea and for that matter, Singapore's policies probably only work due to the extremely unique demographics of that nation more than the effects of its policies anyway). 

I mean, meth was in widespread OTC use in Thailand and Japan for decades while they went from post war devastation to industrialization. Its results weren't great but they weren't "meth not even once" either; the context of drug use matters a lot. 

To my now deceased dad's generation, it was a moral issue. As in you're morally weak if you consume illicit drugs even if you got hooked after first taking prescription painkillers. Thankfully such thinking is gradually being debunked. Society can't help those who refuse to try to help themselves but many - maybe most - addicts are incapable of living a productive life without help from medical authorities. I think someday the USA will be like Portugal but I'll probably be six feet under before that happens.

Boom goes the dynamite.

2 hours ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

To my now deceased dad's generation, it was a moral issue. As in you're morally weak if you consume illicit drugs even if you got hooked after first taking prescription painkillers. Thankfully such thinking is gradually being debunked. Society can't help those who refuse to try to help themselves but many - maybe most - addicts are incapable of living a productive life without help from medical authorities. I think someday the USA will be like Portugal but I'll probably be six feet under before that happens.

Tell your parties candidates to stop pushing the hard line on the war on drugs, prison sentences and prison reform as well as opposing the bill of rights.

Oh wait... those would be liberal policies and the democratic party is as far from liberal as you can get.

2 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

Tell your parties candidates to stop pushing the hard line on the war on drugs, prison sentences and prison reform as well as opposing the bill of rights.

Oh wait... those would be liberal policies and the democratic party is as far from liberal as you can get.

Jeff Sessions was equally hard line. Barr is preoccupied with, shall we say, other matters. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

19 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Jeff Sessions was equally hard line. Barr is preoccupied with, shall we say, other matters. 

Sure and i didn't support him either.

Sessions didn't claim to be "liberal", either like all you democrats.  He was in no way a hypocrite about it like the democratic party and this issue as well as many others like immigration.

On 10/25/2019 at 9:13 PM, bluerules009 said:

You are not a serious person.  Nothing you have ever posted on this board made a serious point.

Mostly you are a racist emotionally crippled thinker who can't respond seriously.  This post is a good example of what you think is okay.   Politically correct racism.

Any insult from you, no matter how many times you have to go to a dictionary for help, is an absolute compliment.  Always has been and always will be.  Joe's thumbs up is icing on the cake - every single time....

2 hours ago, alum93 said:

Any insult from you, no matter how many times you have to go to a dictionary for help, is an absolute compliment.  Always has been and always will be.  Joe's thumbs up is icing on the cake - every single time....

You support racism.   Whether it is politically correct or not it is still racism.

You can blame me all you want, you are still the racist.

On 10/25/2019 at 8:21 PM, CPslograd said:

Decriminalization would probably be a good first step. We already know that drug prohibiyion doesn't work - so what's the point of giving someone a criminal record or even jailing them? That's a surefire way of preventing addicts from ever becoming productive members of society again.

No. We have a sad little patchwork of clinics with many places in the US where no treatment is available at all. This is especially true for those rural areas most ravaged by drugs and drug crimes. What we have is a far cry from the concerted nationwide effort the issue requires. Here's your good deal: Everything your friendly neighborhood junkie requires to at least not be a criminal, homeless, or dead junkie can be produced and distributed at ridiculously low cost. Now compare that to just the thousands of drug-related emergency calls that go out everyday, and you've got a very good deal.