Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

San Diego State at UNLV

I predicted SDSU would lose because they have one of the worst offenses in the country. UNLV outplayed them the second week n a row the a special team TD saved the beacon. They should beat Nevada the i expect a classic EL Foldo.

"Everything that does not destroy you makes you stronger except Aztec Football "

Freddy Nietzsche

30 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Well that's UNLV football - could have bean a (somehow) 6-1 team but the FG clanks off the upright 

Two not great teams on display tonight - How in the F^^k is SDSU 7-1  :shrug:

WE play in the MW and scheduled NMSU and Weber State.

"Everything that does not destroy you makes you stronger except Aztec Football "

Freddy Nietzsche

Just now, UNLV2001 said:

Based on the above and what we think is the obvious (Sanchez gets cut loose)........all the roster is playing to catch the eye of the incoming staff - So whatever personnel moves Sanchez & current staff make are really just moves to salvage something of the 2019 season and it's a whole new system in 2020 under the new coach .............so really does it matter who Sanchez plays at QB or any position from here on out ?!?! :shrug:

15 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

Rev, you know it has nothing to do with the competition. Horton MUST go. And if Rocky won't dump him, HE has to go. I'm not a "fire the coach "kinda guy but even a hard head like me gets tired of defending against the obvious.

If SDSU is as aggressive as an administration as some of your fans say they are in regards to building up the university and using the new stadium and SDSU West to showcase the university, then I think you guys have to look at replacing Rocky.  He has an amazing floor for a G5 coach, but not a high enough ceiling, especially for a university that has some major advantages at the G5 level like SDSU.  

It could bite them in the ass if they don't go out and hire a great coach, but I think you have to take that chance.  

14 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Have to agree - If SDSU gets a decent team they could have real trouble - Defense is pretty decent, but the offense is seriously lacking and in a bowl game vs a more "complete" team it might get ugly 

Our defense is much better than just decent. The foremost reason you guys moved the ball so well in the fourth quarter was that our defenders were gassed from having to get the offense's back for so long. As an example, over the last 48 minutes of the game our offense scored three points. Hell, they were probably gassed in part because the fortunes of the team have depended on them the entire season. I mean, we started the season with a 6-0 win over an FCS opponent for crissakes. :facepalm:

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, Meister_Rebel said:

Sure would be nice if we had those wasted timeouts back down by 3 with less than 6 minutes in the game.

The first one they had to burn.  They were backed up to the 1 yard line after two penalties then the play clock was running down and they had 12 guys on the field.  That drive was a mess.  At least they moved the ball down the field.

9 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

If SDSU is as aggressive as an administration as some of your fans say they are in regards to building up the university and using the new stadium and SDSU West to showcase the university, then I think you guys have to look at replacing Rocky.  He has an amazing floor for a G5 coach, but not a high enough ceiling, especially for a university that has some major advantages at the G5 level like SDSU.  

It could bite them in the ass if they don't go out and hire a great coach, but I think you have to take that chance.  

Agreed, with the possible exception of the "great coach" comment because while trying to build a new stadium we have no money to hire somebody of that caliber. That said, I apparently made an enemy or two on Steve's board when I said earlier today that although I like Rocky, I think our football program would be better if he retired and Brady Hoke was promoted back to HC.

Boom goes the dynamite.

On 10/22/2019 at 1:49 PM, SBBulldog85 said:

You are starting to sound like a broken record, that is about the 10th time you've stated the Bulldogs played like crap against UNLV.  We got the message...

I don't remember you taking shots at Boise after playing UNLV, a couple of weeks ago.

And for the record BSU looked horrible in that game...next to BYU probably the worst they have played all year...

The Aztecs will have to play well to beat Fresno this year, it will not be a layup for SDSU as you are suggesting...

No game is a layup for the Aztecs. They’re capable of beating every team left on their schedule. They are just as capable of losing to every team left on their schedule. Tonight it appeared that the Rebels made all of the meaningful adjustments, the Aztecs not at all. 

9 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Our defense is much better than just decent. The foremost reason you guys moved the ball so well in the fourth quarter was that our defenders were gassed from having to get the offense's back for so long. As an example, over the last 48 minutes of the game our offense scored three points. Hell, they were probably gassed in part because the fortunes of the team have depended on them the entire season. I mean, we started the season with a 6-0 win over an FCS opponent for crissakes. :facepalm:

I don't know, it sounds like your special teams won the game for you tonight. without that 7 points the rebs win.

2 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

I think our football program would be better if he retired and Brady Hoke was promoted back to HC.

Tell us more about the availability of Brady Hoke...

After watching tonight SDSU can keep Jeff Horton, but UNLV definitely wants Rebel legend Hunkie Cooper back. 

15 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Agreed, with the possible exception of the "great coach" comment because while trying to build a new stadium we have no money to hire somebody of that caliber. That said, I apparently made an enemy or two on Steve's board when I said earlier today that although I like Rocky, I think our football program would be better if he retired and Brady Hoke was promoted back to HC.

I guess a great coach for a G5.  There are limitations.  I agree with you about Hoke.  I'd make that move in a heartbeat

7 minutes ago, BleedRebelRed said:

After watching tonight SDSU can keep Jeff Horton, but UNLV definitely wants Rebel legend Hunkie Cooper back. 

Hunkie has done a good job with our WRs but nothing more than that so although I wouldn't want to lose him, I'm confident if your new coach was to hire Hunkie as his OC that SDSU would find a suitable replacement.

As to Hoke, he's earning next to nothing as defensive line coach and our AD has said there's no reason to think Brady is in line to eventually replace Rocky. Of course, the AD to whom our current guy used to report said the same thing about Rocky when he worked for Hoke at SDSU. Rocky has said multiple times over the last two years that he expects 2020 to be SDSU's breakout season so there's no way Rocky won't return next year. However, I think odds are better than 50-50 that regardless of how the season plays out, in December 2020, he'll retire and I think Hoke very likely has the same thought so he will be at SDSU for one more year and then either be promoted to HC or leave to be the head guy somewhere else.

Boom goes the dynamite.

19 minutes ago, BleedRebelRed said:

SDSU is pretty much Rocky Long's defensive schemes ---------Horton & Cooper (former UNLV guys) aren't really setting SDSU on fire offensively - Horton at UNR & UNLV was an uptempo pass first type of program 

SDSU under long is defense first and hope the offense can score 20 

10 hours ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Hunkie has done a good job with our WRs but nothing more than that so although I wouldn't want to lose him, I'm confident if your new coach was to hire Hunkie as his OC that SDSU would find a suitable replacement.

As to Hoke, he's earning next to nothing as defensive line coach and our AD has said there's no reason to think Brady is in line to eventually replace Rocky. Of course, the AD to whom our current guy used to report said the same thing about Rocky when he worked for Hoke at SDSU. Rocky has said multiple times over the last two years that he expects 2020 to be SDSU's breakout season so there's no way Rocky won't return next year. However, I think odds are better than 50-50 that regardless of how the season plays out, in December 2020, he'll retire and I think Hoke very likely has the same thought so he will be at SDSU for one more year and then either be promoted to HC or leave to be the head guy somewhere else.

I was just looking at former MWC coaches who had winning records in the MWC.  Since 2007 there are only seven and all seven left for P5 jobs (well, actually Gary Patterson and Kyle Whittingham stayed in their jobs, but their jobs at TCU and Utah became P5 jobs).

The rest of the seven include three who are still at the jobs they left the MWC for:

• Chris Petersen (Washington)
  • Bronco Mendenhall (Virginia)
  • Matt Wells (Texas Tech)

and the final two are no longer at the P5 jobs they left for:  Brady Hoke and Jim McElwain (who is now HC at Central Michigan).

So if a school was looking for a coach with a winning track record in the MWC the list would be Hoke and McElwain.

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

Tony Sanchez is an idiot. He should’ve challenged the play where Daniel Gutierrez missed the field goal. It shouldn’t have counted because it was a delay of game. They would’ve gotten another chance at the field goal from 47 yards. Bill Belichick would’ve figured that out and people would’ve been calling him a genius.