Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sebasour

Article on why The MWC Might Be Forced to Adopt a 20 Game Schedule

I can understand how this season is a pain in terms of out of conference scheduling but when the Pac 12 implements out of conference scheduling standards in 2020-21 (same year as we increase to a 20 game conference schedule)  Mountain West (and WCC) teams likely get more Pac 12 games.

In May of this year, the Pac 12 administrators voted to adopt more restrictive scheduling practices that make it harder for Pac 12 schools to schedule Big West/Big Sky etc. type teams.  

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/05/20/pac-12-implements-standards-for-non-conference-basketball-schedules-removes-residency-year-for-intra-conference-transfers/

Here are the criteria the Pac 12 will use beginning in 2020 for out of conference scheduling:

“The approved new non-conference scheduling standards include the following elements:

(i) a non-Conference five-year trailing average of opponents’ NET ranking must be 175 or less,

(ii) no participation in road buy games,

(iii) no regular season games against non-Division I opponents and

(iv) no road games versus a non-conference opponent with a five-year trailing average of 200 NET.

Every MW team meets the NET criteria except SJSU and Air Force so SDSU and UNLV should get just as many, if not more, games against Pac 12 schools beginning next year.

3 hours ago, Bruininthebay said:

I can understand how this season is a pain in terms of out of conference scheduling but when the Pac 12 implements out of conference scheduling standards in 2020-21 (same year as we increase to a 20 game conference schedule)  Mountain West (and WCC) teams likely get more Pac 12 games.

In May of this year, the Pac 12 administrators voted to adopt more restrictive scheduling practices that make it harder for Pac 12 schools to schedule Big West/Big Sky etc. type teams.  

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/05/20/pac-12-implements-standards-for-non-conference-basketball-schedules-removes-residency-year-for-intra-conference-transfers/

Here are the criteria the Pac 12 will use beginning in 2020 for out of conference scheduling:

“The approved new non-conference scheduling standards include the following elements:

(i) a non-Conference five-year trailing average of opponents’ NET ranking must be 175 or less,

(iv) no road games versus a non-conference opponent with a five-year trailing average of 200 NET.

Every MW team meets the NET criteria except SJSU and Air Force so SDSU and UNLV should get just as many, if not more, games against Pac 12 schools beginning next year.

So if the MW can still schedule at least PAC teams, will this just make the divide between low major and everyone else even bigger instead of the original high major/everyone else assumption?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

4 hours ago, Bruininthebay said:

You left out a couple small details regarding SDSU.  The A10 challenge starts next year.  There's also the city series with USD, which adds a new participant - some school in La Jolla.  If the Aztecs put UCSD on the schedule as I expect they will, two Pac 12 opportunities are gone.   One is for sure.

For 2020-21 hypothetically, a 20 game MW conference schedule, plus the A10 challenge, plus USD, UCSD and BYU (I think?).  That's 24 games right there.  They'll squeeze in a cupcake or two, not much room left for the PAC.

And speaking of those Tritons, I believe they check off all the requirements for Pac 12 scheduling since they will no longer be Division 2?  They'll have a few PAC opportunities themselves, albeit on the road.  

52 minutes ago, happycamper said:

So if the MW can still schedule at least PAC teams, will this just make the divide between low major and everyone else even bigger instead of the original high major/everyone else assumption?

WCC schools not named Gonzaga will still need a lot of out of conference games.  The WCC conference generally is going to be the most negatively impacted due to the terms Gonzaga dictated in order to remain in that conference.

Guest #1Stunner
43 minutes ago, Bruininthebay said:

WCC schools not named Gonzaga will still need a lot of out of conference games.  The WCC conference generally is going to be the most negatively impacted due to the terms Gonzaga dictated in order to remain in that conference.

Disagree with your take...

The challenge that some of the MWC schools have (and reason that they can't get games) is (1) Prestige and (2) Travel.   So, traveling to places like Logan, Laramie, Fort Collins, etc., in December is expensive and difficult.

The WCC schools lack prestige, but travel is relatively easy.  Most schools are in California and can easily schedule Big West schools OOC.  They can also schedule SDSU, Fresno, and SJSU.  It's a bus ride.

so, the MWC is the conference that is impacted the most by the P5s doing this 20 game change.

Why would a Mountain West school schedule a WCC school when they can schedule a Pac 12 school?  WCC schools don't pay as much for 'buy' games as the Pac 12 so Mountain West schools schedule the person paying the most for a game. 

The loser is the conference who plays more Big Sky and Big West opponents and that is what the WCC is going to have to do because the price of out of conference home games is going up.

A schedule with lots of high NET ratings teams makes it harder to get below the 175 threshold to schedule future Pac 12 opponents - it's a vicious spiral exacerbated by the 16 game schedule

Guest #1Stunner
28 minutes ago, Bruininthebay said:

Why would a Mountain West school schedule a WCC school when they can schedule a Pac 12 school?  WCC schools don't pay as much for 'buy' games as the Pac 12 so Mountain West schools schedule the person paying the most for a game. 

The loser is the conference who plays more Big Sky and Big West opponents and that is what the WCC is going to have to do because the price of out of conference home games is going up.

A schedule with lots of high NET ratings teams makes it harder to get below the 175 threshold to schedule future Pac 12 opponents - it's a vicious spiral exacerbated by the 16 game schedule

The WCC has no problem scheduling loads of Big Sky and Big West opponents...  They all do that already.   Those "weak games" are not really a complaint in the WCC.

Plus, the WCC schools can more easily schedule 1 or 2 PAC12 schools every year, because of geography.   That's probably enough for each school, except Gonzaga (that wants more solid opponents).

I'm not sure why you think the WCC is having a scheduling problem.   Big West games are fine for the conference (WCC isn't ever going to be a powerhouse conference).

Like I said, it's the MWC schools that are struggling to get games, because of geography.   They are much more spread out.   The Big West can't drive to MWC games, like they can WCC games.

2 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

The WCC has no problem scheduling loads of Big Sky and Big West opponents...  They all do that already.   Those "weak games" are not really a complaint in the WCC.

Plus, the WCC schools can more easily schedule 1 or 2 PAC12 schools every year, because of geography.   That's probably enough for each school, except Gonzaga (that wants more solid opponents).

I'm not sure why you think the WCC is having a scheduling problem.   Big West games are fine for the conference (WCC isn't ever going to be a powerhouse conference).

Like I said, it's the MWC schools that are struggling to get games, because of geography.   They are much more spread out.   The Big West can't drive to MWC games, like they can WCC games.

Fresno?  SJSU? SDSU??

3 hours ago, Bruininthebay said:

Why would SDSU play UCSD over a Pac 12 school?  About half the conference needs to seriously upgrade the out of conference schedule so there will be ample opportunities.

I expect the Big West to go to a 20 game conference schedule too when Bako and UCSD join the conference

Because like USD, they are in the same city.  You cannot reasonably expect SDSU to forever avoid UC San Diego if they are already playing an in-city foe like the Toreros.  It might be every other year, but UCSD will be a fixture. Coach Dutcher won't be able to resist scheduling them.

This is the very reason why I hate having the school down south on our schedule twice a year. That’s ridiculous! Do other schools play their rival instate school, twice a year? Should be alternating home and home, like in football.

Playing them once a year opens the opportunity for the Lobos to schedule another quality pac12 or big12 school. 

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

7 minutes ago, LoboMan59 said:

Playing them once a year opens the opportunity for the Lobos to schedule another quality pac12 or big12 school. 

You read, bro?  What part of P5 schools couldn’t care less about Nuevo Mexico did you not get?  

2 hours ago, azinco said:

You read, bro?  What part of P5 schools couldn’t care less about Nuevo Mexico did you not get?  

I’m not your bro... so f**k off troll.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

2 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

This is the very reason why I hate having the school down south on our schedule twice a year. That’s ridiculous! Do other schools play their rival instate school, twice a year? Should be alternating home and home, like in football.

At least NMSU is usually a good game and has a solid RPI. I'd like to see Nevada schedule them again.

10 hours ago, Bruininthebay said:

Why would SDSU play UCSD over a Pac 12 school?  About half the conference needs to seriously upgrade the out of conference schedule so there will be ample opportunities.

I expect the Big West to go to a 20 game conference schedule too when Bako and UCSD join the conference

Because if they don’t UCSD might pull all of SDSU’s joint doctoral degrees sending SDSU back to regional university status.