Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bornsilverandblue

Fire Mumme

On 10/21/2019 at 11:49 AM, westfan said:

I agree with some of your post, yet he knows or should by now what he has as far as the OL, but ignores it and runs right into the middle on crucial downs.

That's the deal with San Diego State as well.does not matter what you call if the line can not block for it.

"Everything that does not destroy you makes you stronger except Aztec Football "

Freddy Nietzsche

On 11/3/2019 at 10:46 AM, wolfan8431 said:

He'd probably be happy to get out.  Mumme gets all the blame but you can believe Norvell has his fingers all over this disaster.  Mumme comes from the Air Raid, does this look like the Air Raid?  Norvell's got the headset on, covering his mouth & giving play instructions to be signaled in.  He was an OC 1 time & never got it out of his system.  It might cost us the game but by golly he is going continue to run against a brick wall.  Again & again. 

I can’t even imagine what Ault must be thinking. He likes Norvell and liked the hire. Too bad we couldn’t bring back Ault as OC. He’s just too used to having full control of everything. But having him recruiting QB’s would be awesome though. In just that short period towards the end, he picked out the following talent:

1. Collin Kaepernick

2. David Fales (was more of a pocket passer and not duel threat, so went to SJSU. He’s currently on the NY Jets roster as a backup QB. 

3. Taylor Kelly (he changed his commitment to Arizona St. right before signing day because it was his dream school and they offered. He started for them for about 3 seasons and did very, very well in the PAC-12. He now teaches at an elite QB school and coaches at Mater Dei High School in LA (A top 5 football power house up there with schools like Long Beach Poly. 

4. Cody Fajardo: We all know about Cody, and he’s still playing pro FB in Canada. It would be great if he can eventually play in the NFL.

kat.jpg

1 hour ago, Rev McQuervo said:

Nevada lacks discipline. Odd, never thought I would say that (at least post the Hot Dog King).

This week we will play like Sh.. as we are coming off a BYE (typically do). Besides, we are due to lose 2 we shouldn't lose (EEEEEUWWWWWTah State flat beat us-doesn't count).

At least 5 false starts last night. Sure the Nevada O Line is primarily freshmen and isn't ready but c'mon!

cerified_Subarus.jpg

1 hour ago, Lester_in_reno said:

At least 5 false starts last night. Sure the Nevada O Line is primarily freshmen and isn't ready but c'mon!

Who are the Fr OLs?  No Srs but the rest are mid years aren't they?  A converted TE & DL are on the line but even little leaguers know you can't move before the ball. 

2 hours ago, Lester_in_reno said:

Very frustrating. However, to me it seems as though some of these fall on Strong. I don't know exactly how this "clap" count is supposed to work but it often seems as though he just takes too damn long before the ball is snapped.

5 hours ago, westfan said:

Saved me the trouble of bumping it again:lalalala: I left the game at half time last night because I was too dumb to dress properly for a little cold night weather and got home in time to watch the end of the third quarter. Nevada was doing so badly on offense that the announcers were confused about what happened to the Nevada offense.At one point in the fourth quarter they actually suggested the OC  was playing rope a dope once Nevada started to move the ball. Bottom line, yes Nevada won against a marginal NM squad IMO, Mumme is just not the right fit  at Nevada.

Looked to me like qtrs 1, 2, and 4 were Norvell calling the plays, and 3 was Mumme.  Night & day differences.

Is it fitting or irony that possibly the most versatile word in the English language is also of unknown origin?

5810036134_cb4d739b38_b.jpg

2 hours ago, wolfan8431 said:

Who are the Fr OLs?  No Srs but the rest are mid years aren't they?  A converted TE & DL are on the line but even little leaguers know you can't move before the ball. 

It became pretty clear to me that they got the yips on that one drive.  I think they ended up just telling them to quit thinking and just do.  Dead-brained execution.  Only way to cure the yips.  It worked.

Is it fitting or irony that possibly the most versatile word in the English language is also of unknown origin?

11 minutes ago, bornsilverandblue said:

It became pretty clear to me that they got the yips on that one drive.  I think they ended up just telling them to quit thinking and just do.  Dead-brained execution.  Only way to cure the yips.  It worked.

Earlier this year Norvell was blaming the center, I guess something was wrong with his count?  Edwards was back at center.  Last week we're on the 2-3 & our tight end flinched.  This week we were on the 2 & the same guy did it again.  He's been in the program for years.  This is a mental thing.  

2 hours ago, renoskier said:

Very frustrating. However, to me it seems as though some of these fall on Strong. I don't know exactly how this "clap" count is supposed to work but it often seems as though he just takes too damn long before the ball is snapped.

That's not on Strong, it's on the center.  

On 11/3/2019 at 1:53 PM, bornsilverandblue said:

Looked to me like qtrs 1, 2, and 4 were Norvell calling the plays, and 3 was Mumme.  Night & day differences.

I didn't notice that,assuming you're correct that alone is worth getting a new OC next season.

Edit: I just watched the local news on Monday and you are correct, in an interview with Norvell he said he took over much of the play calling,It looks to me like the writing is on the wall with Mumme.

6 hours ago, bornsilverandblue said:

Now that's funny.  So the HC that wants badly to have a running game called those passing plays in 1, 2 & 4 & the Air Raid guru called those running plays in the 3rd 1/4?  I know you don't like the guy but that's a bit of a reach.

1 hour ago, wolfan8431 said:

Now that's funny.  So the HC that wants badly to have a running game called those passing plays in 1, 2 & 4 & the Air Raid guru called those running plays in the 3rd 1/4?  I know you don't like the guy but that's a bit of a reach.

Yes.  And the camera shots of Norvell and Mumme on the sideline (qtrs 2 & 4 specifically) clearly show Mumme talking to Norvell, and QBs signaling what Norvell is telling them.  I know it’s not convenient for your Norvell-haterism, but that’s the reality.

Edit: for the record, I think you fundamentally misunderstand the offense Norvell wants because you’re getting hung up on “power ground game” (which traditionally implies multiple TEs, etc).  Pass first to spread the defense, which makes it harder to tackle power backs one-on-one.  Power backs as opposed to scat backs, with downhill running.  That’s exactly what I always thought the pistol could be, and it’s a concept I can tell Mumme doesn’t understand.

46 minutes ago, bornsilverandblue said:

Yes.  And the camera shots of Norvell and Mumme on the sideline (qtrs 2 & 4 specifically) clearly show Mumme talking to Norvell, and QBs signaling what Norvell is telling them.  I know it’s not convenient for your Norvell-haterism, but that’s the reality.

Edit: for the record, I think you fundamentally misunderstand the offense Norvell wants because you’re getting hung up on “power ground game” (which traditionally implies multiple TEs, etc).  Pass first to spread the defense, which makes it harder to tackle power backs one-on-one.  Power backs as opposed to scat backs, with downhill running.  That’s exactly what I always thought the pistol could be, and it’s a concept I can tell Mumme doesn’t understand.

Power run game?  Where did that come from?  Norvell has repeatedly said he wants to establish a run game to go along with the Air Raid, like Ok.  "Norvell-haterism".  I like Norvell a lot, it's great how he's included Ault & brings in the alumni players.  I'm hoping with his years of experience he can identify the problems & fix them for next year.  You can blame the assts all you want but the buck stops here kind of thing with the head man.

17 minutes ago, wolfan8431 said:

Power run game?  Where did that come from?  Norvell has repeatedly said he wants to establish a run game to go along with the Air Raid, like Ok.  "Norvell-haterism".  I like Norvell a lot, it's great how he's included Ault & brings in the alumni players.  I'm hoping with his years of experience he can identify the problems & fix them for next year.  You can blame the assts all you want but the buck stops here kind of thing with the head man.

Everyone knows there’s no excuse for the problems on offense. Mummy should be cutting his teeth on Div I ball at a mediocre FCS school right now. Anything he’s been involved with regarding DI FB has been with his dads help. When his dad became the coach at Kentucky, as a player his dad signed him and I don’t believe he got any FBS offers. When his dad was coaching at New Mexico St. he hired him to be the co-OC with him. Daddy, daddy daddy. 

The other night, all we needed was a first down in the final couple minutes to just about ice the game. We had a 3rd & 4, and he made the stupidest play call ever. I believe we had 4 receivers and 3 of the 4 just ran straight down the field for a long bomb. The WR on the far right cut and ran across the middle at about 5 yards and he was completely draped/covered. Carson went to his first read to the far left, and didn’t look at any other reads. So instead of guys running short routes, they went with a very low % pass play throwing a long ball down the left sideline and the throw was long and he was covered well. 

So not only do we not get the first down, we stopped the f’ing clock. We just needed a short 5 yard high % pass. 

kat.jpg

22 hours ago, wolfan8431 said:

Norvell said at the weekly press conference today that he has taken over playcalling duties.

12 minutes ago, westfan said:

Time for a bump. Anyone else think Mumme is now a lame duck OC or will Norvill keep him on staff?:digging:

It will definitely be interesting to see, but no doubt the play calling has been much better. How many head coaches do call plays? Didn’t Ault always call his own?

2 hours ago, bigd said:

It will definitely be interesting to see, but no doubt the play calling has been much better. How many head coaches do call plays? Didn’t Ault always call his own?

Not always, but he did it a lot. He gave Rolo a bit more authority To call plays than his predecessor.