Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4UNLV

20 game schedule? NO!

Guest #1Stunner
7 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

4 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

Probably will happen as more conferences are going to 20 games and that gives less opportunities for OOC games.  

This is funny, since the WCC recently moved from 18 to 16 games.

The WCC (Gonzaga?) decided it would benefit more from getting 2 additional OOC games, rather than beating up on each other.

20 games makes the most sense in the more prestigious P5 conferences, where there are plenty of great opponents during the conference schedule.

:facepalm:

Until such a time as we're back to putting 2-3 teams into the tournament on a regular basis, we need marquee OOC wins for at-large consideration.

An 18-game conference sked was a big enough shit sandwich to eat with this many turds in this conference.

tenor.gif

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

Are they holding interviews in the hallway? That top notch right there!

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

3 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

Lots of great info from this interview

@ 2:20 Thompson gives his most direct answer about media rights 

'I think we are getting close to resolution. There are some compromises that have to be made IF we go with more than one network.'

'We are getting into the fourth quarter now'.

'I think we'll have more than one broadcast partner'

Only ESPN could really offer exclusivity so it appears whether to go exclusive with ESPN+ or include CBS and/or Fox Sports is the choice.  CT is playing 'hard to get' because ESPN hasn't made an offer high enough. 

Personally I think it would benefit Disney to have the Mountain West as an exclusive ESPN/Disney broadcast property because the Pac 12 has a competing network.

I'd prefer that the Pac 12 and Mountain West got together and formed a west coast competitor to ESPN but I don't think the pac 12 is going to do that.

Guest #1Stunner
47 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

He said the AAC media deal was ridiculous and he never would of done it.

I also laughed when he said Oregon State fans was saying the MWC Facebook games were of higher quality than the PAC12 network.

If he said that, then sounds like he's trying to sell everyone on the quality of Facebook.

Is a 20 game schedule still a bad idea if all of the P5 conferences go to larger conference schedules?

If more OOC games had to be scheduled against say the Big Sky, WCC, Big West, MVC, etc., is that still better than a full 20 game round robin sched?

Craig doesn't seem to be a fan of ESPN+ and thinks that some of our schools don't have the capability to produce quality games for the platform and don't want to invest in the infrastructure.  Doesn't sound like the MW will be on ESPN+ too much, if at all.  

Lets see UNLV has OOC games with Ft Wayne, Abilene Christian, Jackson St, Robert Morris, I think they could drop 2 of those games and not hurt their NCAA chances.

San Diego St, Has Texas Southern, LIU,Tennessee St., San Diego Christian, perhaps they could drop 2 of those also. with no damage. Maybe those two schools do not want  tougher games with MWC schools.

I think every team plays at least 1 if not 2 easy teams/D2, drop that for a 20 game schedule and you lose nothing buttercups.  

Examples this year

AF drop Idaho State 

BSU drop UC Irvine

CSU drop Utah Valley

Nevada drop Fordham

SDSU drop Long Island.

.....as examples

..GO FALCONS..

1 hour ago, ltcpilot said:

I think every team plays at least 1 if not 2 easy teams/D2, drop that for a 20 game schedule and you lose nothing buttercups.  

Examples this year

AF drop Idaho State 

BSU drop UC Irvine

CSU drop Utah Valley

Nevada drop Fordham

SDSU drop Long Island.

.....as examples

UC Irvine is an easy team in 2019-2020? :huh:

Per the folks on AMesa, SDSU was at the bare minimum allotment of games (28) before adding San Diego Christian to the schedule.  Those yokels are not happy with their home slate this year.  One poster even questioned if SDSU was being blacklisted by local D1 schools.

If that becomes a problem moving forward, maybe going to 20 league games wouldn't be so bad? :shrug: