Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NevadaFan

USU picked to win league

2019-20 MOUNTAIN WEST PREDICTED ORDER OF FINISH
Rank      Team (First-Place Votes) Points
1.            Utah State (17)                 187
2.            San Diego State                150
3.            New Mexico                      141
4.            Nevada                               135
5.            Boise State                        128
6.            Fresno State                      103
7.            UNLV                                   89
8.            Air Force                            76
9.            Colorado State                 59
10.         Wyoming                           36
11.         San José State                   17

2019-20 PRESEASON ALL-MOUNTAIN WEST TEAM
Pos.       Name                                  Yr.                         Team
F             Lavelle Scottie                  Sr.                         Air Force
G            Derrick Alston                   Jr.                          Boise State
F/C         Nico Carvacho                  Sr.                         Colorado State
G            Sam Merrill                       Sr.                         Utah State
C             Neemias Queta                So.                        Utah State

Preseason Player of the Year
Sam Merrill, Sr., G, Utah State

Preseason Newcomer of the Year
Malachi Flynn, Jr., G, San Diego State

Preseason Freshman of the Year
K.J. Hymes, F, Nevada

4 minutes ago, battle.borne said:

Lavelle Scottie first team? Surprising. Is he the first first-team AF player since the MW formation?

AFA’s Nick Welch was Co-MWC POY in 2004 as a sophomore. I’d bet that we was a pre-season First Team pick in 2004-05

No surprise in Merrill, Queta, and Carvacho.  I’m not surprised by Alston who I think will have a huge year leading an improved Boise State team.  Scottie is a bit of a reach for me; very good player but more of a second teamer.  I think Flynn being picked as Newcomer of the Year is a sound pick and that he will end up on the MWC First team at the end of the year.

The Newcomer of the Year has a lot of competition. As I stated, I think Flynn will emerge but UNM has about 3 guys who could all win it and I expect Nevada’s Jalen Harris to be in the race.

Freshman of the Year is a crap shoot.  I doubt anyone this season is as clear cut as Queta was last season.

As for the order of finish, unbalanced schedules make it difficult.  As I look over the conference, I believe it will be improved overall relative to last season. Here’s where I think the programs will be relative to last season in terms of NET ranking.

Utah State - same

New Mexico - huge jump

San Diego State - small jump

Boise State - solid jump

Nevada - big drop

Fresno State - small drop

UNLV - small jump

Colorado State - small jump

Air Force - small jump

Wyoming - small jump

San Jose State - same

I believe that only Utah State will be able to earn an At-Large bid which means one-bid league if they were to win the tournament.  I expect San Diego State top emerge at year’s end and I’m going on record that they will win the MWC Tournament and therefore the MWC will have two teams in the NCAA.  I see New Mexico and Boise as NIT teams this season.

I thought this was football and was going to have to tell someone to put the crack pipe down.......  Boise's going all the way to the Cotton Bowl!!!  Right @BSUTOP25?

down in a hole.jpg

11 minutes ago, Broncomare said:

I thought this was football and was going to have to tell someone to put the crack pipe down.......  Boise's going all the way to the Cotton Bowl!!!  Right @BSUTOP25?

Jesus .... 

tenor.gif?itemid=13997211

Might as well release the Kracken while you’re at it. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

31 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Jesus .... 

I really hope you have a LOT of rum and cigars. :huh:

59 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Jesus .... 

Just keeping you on your toes!

down in a hole.jpg

Lots of people laughed at me when back in December, I said that USU would be the run away favorite to win the MW in 2020.

I like that UNLV is flying below the radar. Totz did a decent job filling out the roster. I expect a flip of of UNLV (4th) and reno (7th).

5 hours ago, bigd said:

Supposedly it was the first unanimous pick in league history. Pretty impressive Aggies...

Should be an interesting season.

I was a bit surprised by this as well....only because of where Nevada was pre-season last year and some of the SDSU teams prior to that.