Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MWC Tex

There is a split in the conference about TV start times

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/unlv/unlv-basketball/unlv-not-expected-to-be-a-darling-of-mw-media-1870385/amp/

See section #3

Basically, this is why our TV contract is delayed.   
My guess, the old WAC schools, especially BSU, want more money and 9 pm start times.   The older MW schools want better start times for less TV $$$.

Probably, why Calhoun is rethinking AF being in the MW.

1 hour ago, MWC Tex said:

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/unlv/unlv-basketball/unlv-not-expected-to-be-a-darling-of-mw-media-1870385/amp/

See section #3

Basically, this is why our TV contract is delayed.   
My guess, the old WAC schools, especially BSU, want more money and 9 pm start times.   The older MW schools want better start times for less TV $$$.

Probably, why Calhoun is rethinking AF being in the MW.

Those have been shown to not be worth a damn over the years. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

I don't usually get involved in these conversations because I really don't give a shit but I'm a little curious about the value of incremental attendance.

On average, how much is each additional BIS (butt in seat) worth for a MWC football program?

Is it worth $30? Would better game times increase attendance by 2000/game? 5000/game?

Would it be worth say $700,000/yr less in TV money to have more control over start times?

My friends and I gave up 6 long time premium football tix this year because we got tired of all the late games. Instead, we each bought very inexpensive 3 game mini plans. Wouldn't you know, this year Nevada got at least two day games, and my personal favorite, a 4pm start.

2 hours ago, renoskier said:

I don't usually get involved in these conversations because I really don't give a shit but I'm a little curious about the value of incremental attendance.

On average, how much is each additional BIS (butt in seat) worth for a MWC football program?

Is it worth $30? Would better game times increase attendance by 2000/game? 5000/game?

Would it be worth say $700,000/yr less in TV money to have more control over start times?

My friends and I gave up 6 long time premium football tix this year because we got tired of all the late games. Instead, we each bought very inexpensive 3 game mini plans. Wouldn't you know, this year Nevada got at least two day games, and my personal favorite, a 4pm start.

I also wonder what it does to the fan base long term?  As families go less, will their kids become fans?  They might be watching it at home.  Will a lack of gameday atmosphere deter recruits from going to a school if attendance continues to drop as people like you drop season tickets and go to fewer games (not judging by the way, just using your example as an example)?  Do other season ticket holders start to question why they still support the team and buy expensive tickets when the gameday atmosphere isn't as fun.  I have to give the SJSU season ticket holders who go to every game props here.  Going to all of those games can't always be easy.  

On the flip side, what does that extra money bring in?  Does the exposure matter?  Are we as a conference really getting more exposure with 8:15 start times?  

You bring up an interesting question that I wish we could see more research on.  

One just needs to look around their own areas.  Football is a dying animal. The G5 will move backward as the P5 moves forward.

Next time you drive around your town. Look at the parks. How many football fields are there compared to soccer fields? How many youth football teams vs youth soccer teams?

The Mountain West just doesn't have the recruit population to compete with the eastern teams and California. 

3 hours ago, renoskier said:

Booster money is also a consideration. Always got to make sure you're not jumping over dollars in order to bend over and pick up dimes.

That being said, personally, I'm fine with later starts.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

8:30/9pm starts do nothing for exposure for the MW.  The central and eastern time zones have tuned out by then which is 75% of the population.  At those times you are placating to the few Mtn and Pacific fans that maybe still wanting to watch football that late.  In essence, if only the people watching the games are regional anyway, we might as well just have the MWDN show games or take less money to get day games which fans want to show up.  Getting attendance up will more than makeup the loss of TV revenue.  It not just ticket revenue but concessions revenue in addition.  
This will also apply to basketball also.

Sports bar license fees in the Central and Eastern time zones should be included when considering whether a kick off time frame has value.  A game that ends after 11 PM is after last call in EST states and those bars pay for the privilege of having football until closing time if they have more than three screens or one screen that is especially big

More immediately relevant to this topic is that the review journal printed unsourced speculation about the Mountain West's negotiations in an earlier article and this article has no underlying facts which should have multiple anonymous sources to back up a wld claim like this.

Unless Tom Bowen is involved, the details of conference negotiations haven't leaked to press.  His abrupt departure underscores why competent administrators don't leak to the press

The Coloradoan and the Idaho press haven't followed it, nor has the reno gazette journal so until other outlets follow it I won't give it that much credibility.  Las Vegas isn't the only market where the Mountain West plays with papers that still have journalistic standards 

The late starts are just the networks wanting games until midnight PST. Earlier times don't matter, because East Coast fans don't care about MWC teams. I say, get more money and stick with the late kickoff times. I don't know how long my body will let me stay at games until midnight or longer, but oh well.

Boise broke an attendance record at last Saturday's 8:15pm start. We'll manage.

A university should endeavor to build connections with students and maintain connections with alumni. Sports is the best way of creating and maintaining loyalty to a university. Alumni with connections to a university are the biggest contributors to both athletics and academics. Sports should cator to alumni. Many 
contributors, like those that frequent message boards, are older. Retirees have both time and money. Make  sports convenient for them.

8 hours ago, BSUFan said:

Next time you drive around your town. Look at the parks. How many football fields are there compared to soccer fields? How many youth football teams vs youth soccer teams?

I was pointing this out the other day to wife. I think one of the major things about youth soccer is it is for both boys and girls and makes it easier for parents of both genders as opposed to football being mostly played by boys. On another note I have spoken to countless youth that want to play football but their moms don't let them.

Wyoming:  Denver has a large WY alumni base and it is difficult to drive back and forth to Laramie with these late night starts.

Colorado State:  They have a new sparkling stadium but late night starts hurts fan turn out.

Air Force:  Pretty well hammered out already on this board.

I think as pointed out here by other posters is that the main thing is fan base. New Mexico has had issues with attendance as it is and night games kills the family thing. On the other side of this UNM is hurting for money so they gladly welcome the extra cash. That said Lobos need to win and win consistently for them to get butts in the seats period. So I won't be surprised if members on the mo money side win out instead of better start times.

Oddly back in the PCAA / Big West days UNLV BB would generally have 8:05 pm starts with a lot of ESPN 9 pm Big Monday games and attendance was at it's highest ever.........of course the product UNLV put on the court was much better and generally had national or ranking implications

I just think sports attendance is down in general and there's not much schools or teams can do - UNLV FB & BB has traditionally been a night game schedule, so not use 1 pm FB starts would do that much for the paltry attendance 

Imagine teams need to factor in weather, temperatures and distance of travel for the fan base - Urban schools don't need to worry about "drive in" fans like Wyoming, CSU, maybe USU & AF......and the cold weather locations probably want the 1 or 2 pm afternoon time slots 

22 hours ago, renoskier said:

I'm right there with you, night games are fine in the early Fall, we have a grouping of 16 tickets on the west side of Mackay including a wide range of age groups from parents with kids and older fans like me.I suspect because of ESPN, the Nevada/NM game on Nov 2nd at night.I'm looking forward to the noon start at the Nevada/nevada southern game.Even if the weather tanks it's in the day time.Some schools get better attendance, even at colder night games, so kudos to them, The Boise/Hawaii game last week comes to mind.

While I prefer earlier games.  I don't like day games cuz I need more boozing time. Late crowds are always more lively too at least in the first half.  6-7pm kicks are the best.  But I also don't throw a fit and cry like most, I'd still go if the kick was at midnight

4 minutes ago, jewelz4562000 said:

While I prefer earlier games.  I don't like day games cuz I need more boozing time. Late crowds are always more lively too at least in the first half.  6-7pm kicks are the best.  But I also don't throw a fit and cry like most, I'd still go if the kick was at midnight

We do just fine boozing at a day tailgate, plus we are old school and sneak in our drinks of preference.:D

11 hours ago, Tulsa Guy said:

Wyoming:  Denver has a large WY alumni base and it is difficult to drive back and forth to Laramie with these late night starts.

Colorado State:  They have a new sparkling stadium but late night starts hurts fan turn out.

Air Force:  Pretty well hammered out already on this board.

Yeah, you know exactly dick about the travel and attendance habits of Wyoming fans, so feel free to sit this one out, champ.

It reads as though they will use different media to get what they want individually, collectively.

If its ESPN the teams will bite the bullet on start times. Probably what 15 games total? 

The other channels will pay less but the time slot will be set so it's more beneficial for the fans.  The largest chunk of games like 30ish? Probably CBSSN or FS1?

The least desirable games will go digital with the schools in charge of times, but not making much money off the media side. Another 15-20. Facebook I would guess since time is irrelevant to a global concept.

So teams will lose control of one or two start times a season. Get the start time they want for about four of the home games and actually get to set the time for the least desirable home game to try and boost its attendance, not a bad set up actually.