Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

Air Force thinking of leaving the MWC?

On 10/14/2019 at 7:36 PM, RSF said:

Tulsa has neither standing, tradition, success nor respect.  Its a school unwilling to stake its own claim so its happy being a parasite.

And what OSU signed was an 8 yr deal where they will have home field advantage every year.  I am personally familiar with such arrangements.

NYD Bowls

Tulsa 3

Boise State 3

Air Force Academy 2

Wyoming 1

Hawaii 1

On 10/14/2019 at 8:57 AM, westfan said:

The MWC is unique, the western schools might prefer a UCD, while schools  In Colorado, Utah, Idaho and Wyoming might prefer Montana. The never ending expansion or realignment saga!:hookah:

SDSU, Fresno and SJSU will agree to add a UC right after the PAC agrees to add a C-State........:waiting:

5 hours ago, JoeBlo said:

NYD Bowls

Tulsa 3

Boise State 3

Air Force Academy 2

Wyoming 1

Hawaii 1

Take a notice when Tulsa played in those bowls...  All during WW2, when America's finest werent playing college football.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

5 hours ago, RSF said:

Take a notice when Tulsa played in those bowls...  All during WW2, when America's finest werent playing college football.

Okay.....

On 10/14/2019 at 10:26 AM, JoeBlo said:

Naw.

Tulsa has four ten win seasons in football and a few NCAA appearences including one in women's this last decade. 

Boise is the only one in the MWC getting close to that.

Do you want to pick a more specific time period for comparison to prove your point?

Seems they were pretty bad in the 1990s for football, but they have some basketball history during that decade.....

21 minutes ago, JoeBlo said:

Do you want to pick a more specific time period for comparison to prove your point?

Seems they were pretty bad in the 1990s for football, but they have some basketball history during that decade.....

Are you waiting for yourself to answer?

As for me, I've already made my point.  That you dont seem to comprehend it is not really my problem.  And your post did little to nothing to refute it.  And I wasnt the one MAKING a comparison.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 minute ago, RSF said:

Are you waiting for yourself to answer?

As for me, I've already made my point.  That you dont seem to comprehend it is not really my problem.

Pretty clear you are talking out your ass, but it's a free country and I will always fight for your right to pass wind.

On 10/14/2019 at 6:52 PM, UofMTigers said:

if there is any chance of gaining one of the academies you have to go 'all in' on that option as there is very little of value in CUSA, Sun Belt, or the MAC to add.

about the only attractive candidate I see there is UAB.

new stadium under construction:

ProtectiveStadiumFeature.jpg

nice football support facilities:

1422-UABFootballOpsimage4_web.jpg

tradition rich hoops program:

bartow_630x.jpg

plus they have a large market, good academics, and are smack dab in the middle of the AAC footprint...

Oh come on dude. You know they recently dropped FB for 2015 and 2016, and then decided to salvage it. That’s hardly a stable FB program. Just because you build a new stadium doesn’t mean it’s going to fill itself. Sure there’s initial hype and curiosity, but that’s very short term. If you put nice things around a turd, it’s still a turd.

Tradition is nice if your current program is doing great, but a currently average or worse program with a successful tradition doesn’t mean squat to anyone. It’s all about now. 

kat.jpg

I actually agree with UofM about UAB.

Well, most of it.

Their dropping of football was in large part due to UABs relationship with its big brother in Tuscaloosa, and specifically one trustee by the name of Bryant.  That they were able to overcome that is a credit to them.  They were always a solid, if unspectacular, football program, and now theyre spending a few bucks.

Basketball is pretty much the same - solid.  Tradition rich is a wildly off.

Market, footprint...all of that works, too.  Academics?  Meh.  Not that it matters much.

Buffalo seems like another school thats trending up, and has potential to be a good market.

Their football and basketball have been on fire the past few years, after decades of having almost no athletic success. Its also AAU, and considered a very good school academically.

29 minutes ago, bigd said:

Buffalo seems like another school thats trending up, and has potential to be a good market.

Their football and basketball have been on fire the past few years, after decades of having almost no athletic success. Its also AAU, and considered a very good school academically.

They are so far up there though

33 minutes ago, RSF said:

Well, most of it.

Their dropping of football was in large part due to UABs relationship with its big brother in Tuscaloosa, and specifically one trustee by the name of Bryant.  That they were able to overcome that is a credit to them.  They were always a solid, if unspectacular, football program, and now theyre spending a few bucks.

Market, footprint...all of that works, too.  Academics?  Meh.  Not that it matters much.

I wouldnt call the football program solid.  It hasnt been around all that long and for most its existence it been decidedly subpar and poorly supported.  Even after its return to FBS, the BOR has made it clear the budget isnt going ti get any higher than its current level.   The AAC is probably better off just sitting tight and keeping its powder dry.  Eventually, a school worth inviting will emerge from the scrum--or they will lose a school and get down to a more manageable 10 members.  

7 minutes ago, CaffeinatedCoog said:

I wouldnt call the football program solid.  It hasnt been around all that long and for most its existence it been decidedly subpar and poorly supported.  Even after its return to FBS, the BOR has made it clear the budget isnt going ti get any higher than its current level.   The AAC is probably better off just sitting tight and keeping its powder dry.  Eventually, a school worth inviting will emerge from the scrum--or they will lose a school and get down to a more manageable 10 members.  

Don’t think you guys lose a school anytime soon. Best of sunbelt, cusa or MAC will get the call up. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

UAB would be a great #12 team for the AAC IMO. Southern Miss would be a possibility too, I suppose, but UAB fits that Metro Conference mold the rest of the conference generally has.

2 hours ago, boisewitha-s said:

Don’t think you guys lose a school anytime soon. Best of sunbelt, cusa or MAC will get the call up. 

In the next 2 years---no.  In the next 2-4 years---its certainly possible we could lose a member.   I just see no reason to rush a replacement into the league given the fairly mundane available options.  What does the AAC gain by rushing the decision?  Every option currently available will still be available 2 to 4 years from now.  Thats why I say, just be patient and see how things unfold.  Between now and then, one of the current options may separate themselves from the pack---or perhaps an unexpected option with more value may suddenly pop up out of nowhere.    

4 hours ago, RSF said:

Well, most of it.

UAB basketball features an Elite Eight, three Sweet 16's, seven Round of 32 appearances to go along with 15 total NCAA showings in their brief history (UAB hoops was established in 1979 I believe)...plus, they have a few NIT Final Fours to boot.

UAB has also established itself on the Alabama 'Board of Trustees' to ensure UAB athletics are safe.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

4 hours ago, CaffeinatedCoog said:

I'm sure if UABs TV deal went from paying them 500k per year to 6.94 million per year then the AL-BOR may suddenly be willing to boost their athletic budget 2-3 million. (with most all of it directed to football and basketball)

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Navy would push hard to block AF from getting an AAC invite.  Navy likes playing games in Texas, FL, TN, LA annually or semi-annually for recruiting purposes, and would not want to let AF in on that action.  AF has gone out of its way to get into these markets for the same reason, even moving a home game vs UNM to the Cotton Bowl a couple years ago for this purpose, and signing a home and home with FAU.

What Troy Calhoun actually wants is an independent schedule more like Army's to make his job easier.  He goes out of his way to bemoan how hard his job is.  Some people seem to think that an independent AF schedule would be all the front range MWC teams they already like playing (CSU, UNM, WYO), several PAC-12 and B1G schools (Stanford, Cal, Nebraska), Army and Navy, and some fillers.  The reality would be maybe 1 or 2 P5 schools per year, Army and Navy, occasional front range matchups, and long-term contracts with Liberty, NMSU, UMass, BYU, and whatever new transitional schools to FBS need to fill out a schedule.  AF fans need to watch what they're asking for.

1 hour ago, karatechop97 said:

Navy would push hard to block AF from getting an AAC invite.  Navy likes playing games in Texas, FL, TN, LA annually or semi-annually for recruiting purposes, and would not want to let AF in on that action.  AF has gone out of its way to get into these markets for the same reason, even moving a home game vs UNM to the Cotton Bowl a couple years ago for this purpose, and signing a home and home with FAU.

What Troy Calhoun actually wants is an independent schedule more like Army's to make his job easier.  He goes out of his way to bemoan how hard his job is.  Some people seem to think that an independent AF schedule would be all the front range MWC teams they already like playing (CSU, UNM, WYO), several PAC-12 and B1G schools (Stanford, Cal, Nebraska), Army and Navy, and some fillers.  The reality would be maybe 1 or 2 P5 schools per year, Army and Navy, occasional front range matchups, and long-term contracts with Liberty, NMSU, UMass, BYU, and whatever new transitional schools to FBS need to fill out a schedule.  AF fans need to watch what they're asking for.

you could easily send either Memphis or Tulane to the East so Navy can stay in the AAC West.

so you could do...

West: Air Force, SMU, Tulsa, Houston, Memphis, Navy | East: Cincy, Temple, ECU, Tulane, UCF, USF

or send Memphis to the East.

West: Air Force, SMU, Tulsa, Houston, Tulane, Navy | East: Cincy, Temple, ECU, Memphis, UCF, USF

I feel like if asked Air Force would prefer option 1 due to slightly easier travel (I want to say Memphis is like 950 miles from AF while New Orleans is like 1250 miles from AF) while Memphis/Tulane would prefer option 2

mem skyline sig.jpeg