Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

Air Force thinking of leaving the MWC?

46 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

I don't think they're the worst option out there, but even by your own measure they're still only 4th best...which is not high.  They are lower than fourth on my list.  I know it may seem farfetched to some today but with the evolution of cfb being what it is and money drying up the AAC will likely be able to acquire whomever they want that is not in a current P5 conference after the next realignment in a few years.  Some may deem independence more worthy like BYU but they are already sliding down the cliff, they don't have the allure that existed for them back in 2013.  The times are changing fast.  If you want to be a serious football/major sports program after the next alignment outside of maybe Big East basketball then AAC will be your last hope (IMO).  It certainly will be for revenue purposes.

Additionally, if it comes down to UAB for the 12th spot I'm pretty sure the majority of AAC schools would rather just take the extra cash.  7.6 mill/year is better than 7mill/year.  

I'm pretty sure ESPN can pro-rate our payment sans UConn. So we get 6.94 x11 and ESPN gets UConn's 6.94 million to cover the lost revenue. (IMHO that's fair)

I have no preference between BYU/Army/Air Force...but with that said, I don't think BYU and Army have any interest in us for a variety of reasons. That leaves AF as our best hope unless there is a rule change (I give that a 25% chance).

So essentially the AAC could face the possibility of being in a world where they are force to expand and BYU/Army/AF all say 'no thanks'...then, and only then, would I support UAB for membership for all the reasons I've laid out here. I'm also not above being bribed so if Liberty wants to offer the AAC say 30 million plus the 5 million dollar entrance fee paid over their first 6 years in the conference, OK (if ESPN goes along with it)...that money coupled with UConn's 17 million dollar exit fee plus ESPNs TV deal revenue would ensure our financial stability for the next 6 years. If I'm OK with BYU and SMUs money...I shouldn't be 'above' taking Liberty's money too :-)

**edit** my 30 million dollar figure is based on Liberty offering CUSA 24 million. 6 years is UConn's payment timeline. They have to pay 10 million (the actual exit fee) by their exit date and the remaining 7 million (early exit fee) over 6 years.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

1 hour ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

SMU has basketball to fall back on and football potential though, and has shown a willingness to do what it takes to be a good program overall.  Men's soccer is a niche offering, I have no qualms with discussing its merits but the significance of it is middling at best.  

But college baseball isn't middling?

College World Series Appearences:

Wichita 7

Houston 4

Fresno 4

Temple 2

Tulane 2

Tulsa 2

Colorado St 1

Hawaii 1

San Jose St 1

Wyoming 1

Was UCF playing FCS baseball for most of its history too? 

Basketball NCAA bids:

Tulsa 16

SMU 12

UCF 5

NYD bowls:

SMU 5

Tulsa 3

UCF 3

Hmmmm, AAC should probably drop UCF from your criteria.

4 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

I'm pretty sure ESPN can pro-rate our payment sans UConn. So we get 6.94 x11 and ESPN gets UConn's 6.94 million to cover the lost revenue. (IMHO that's fair)

I have no preference between BYU/Army/Air Force...but with that said, I don't think BYU and Army have any interest in us for a variety of reasons. That leaves AF as our best hope unless there is a rule change (I give that a 25% chance).

So essentially the AAC could face the possibility of being in a world where they are force to expand and BYU/Army/AF all say 'no thanks'...then, and only then, would I support UAB for membership for all the reasons I've laid out here. I'm also not above being bribed so if Liberty wants to offer the AAC say 30 million plus the 5 million dollar entrance fee paid over their first 6 years in the conference, OK (if ESPN goes along with it)...that money coupled with UConn's 17 million dollar exit fee plus ESPNs TV deal revenue would ensure our financial stability for the next 6 years. If I'm OK with BYU and SMUs money...I shouldn't be 'above' taking Liberty's money too :-)

**edit** my 30 million dollar figure is based on Liberty offering CUSA 24 million. 6 years is UConn's payment timeline. They have to pay 10 million (the actual exit fee) by their exit date and the remaining 7 million (early exit fee) over 6 years.

The presidents wont go for Liberty...ever.   As for UAB, they are where they belong.  Their fanbase, support, and budget havn't changed a bit since we were there.  I think its cool they are doing well and saved their football program.  I was actually rooting for them during that period.  But its not "a new UAB".  Its "the same ole UAB".   For instance---the new stadium---that's nice---but it aint UAB's stadium.   UAB will be paying the city rent and will be sacrificing concession/parking revenue streams that other schools with stadiums use to fund athletic operations.  The reality?  They hired a cheap FCS coach that fit their low budget ($600K) and hit a jackpot.   That always nice----but counting on the lottery isnt a long term career path.  Even with the winning---they cant even get 20K to show up.  Its the same ole UAB.  We spent 20 years in a conference with them.  I know exactly who they are.   They are a perfect fit for the current CUSA.   

Honestly---Id like to see the AAC either split the i#12 slot into "non-football" and "football only"  invites to maximize the positive impact of the addition.  Or, barring that strategy---just sit tight at 11.  Im fine with that.  A little scheduling issue is not really that big a deal.  It not a good enough reason to reach so desperately for a poor addition.  If we stay patient, maybe a BYU/Air Force level candidate will eventully come along.  

5 minutes ago, CaffeinatedCoog said:

The presidents wont go for Liberty...ever.   As for UAB, they are where they belong.  Their fanbase, support, and budget havn't changed a bit since we were there.  I think its cool they are doing well and saved their football program.  I was actually rooting for them during that period.  But its not "a new UAB".  Its "the same ole UAB".   For instance---the new stadium---that's nice---but it aint UAB's stadium.   UAB will be paying the city rent and will be sacrificing concession/parking revenue streams that other schools with stadiums use to fund athletic operations.  The reality?  They hired a cheap FCS coach that fit their low budget ($600K) and hit a jackpot.   That always nice----but counting on the lottery isnt a long term career path.  Even with the winning---they cant even get 20K to show up.  Its the same ole UAB.  We spent 20 years in a conference with them.  I know exactly who they are.   They are a perfect fit for the current CUSA.   

so do Memphis, Temple, USF, Pitt, and Miami...I mean, Legion Field is 2.5 miles from the UAB campus in the wrong direction (crap part of town) while Protective Stadium will be 1.8 miles from campus located next to hotels, restaurants, and shopping. 

mem skyline sig.jpeg

2 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

so do Memphis, Temple, USF, Pitt, and Miami...I mean, Legion Field is 2.5 miles from the UAB campus in the wrong direction (crap part of town) while Protective Stadium will be 1.8 miles from campus located next to hotels, restaurants, and shopping. 

But UAB doesnt have a fan base similar to any of those examples.  Not even close.  It aint the stadium.  Never has been.  lol---I respect your opinion, but we simply arent going to agree on this one.  

3 hours ago, CaffeinatedCoog said:

Honestly---Id like to see the AAC either split the i#12 slot into "non-football" and "football only"  invites to maximize the positive impact of the addition.  Or, barring that strategy---just sit tight at 11.  Im fine with that.  A little scheduling issue is not really that big a deal.  It not a good enough reason to reach so desperately for a poor addition.  If we stay patient, maybe a BYU/Air Force level candidate will eventully come along.  

Does the CCG have its own TV deal? If it’s part of the ESPN deal would sitting tight at 11 and losing the CCG reduce the payouts? 

9 hours ago, JoeBlo said:

But college baseball isn't middling?

Baseball isn't middling, it's big money.  College baseball >>>>college soccer even without the prospect of pro baseball.  That's perhaps a topic for another thread.  You have no argument from me about UCF's history in basketball, it's pathetic...but I hope that the current trajectory continues.  Either way from a conference member perspective I'm more interested in commitment to your programs moving forward than how you did in the past.  I'm sure you can appreciate that.

11 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

I'm not sure how the numbers work out, nobody does but in my estimation it is addition by subtraction with Tulsa despite the reality that they are likely in the AAC long term.  You have made your point clear on your preferences, I just don't see UAB being a realistic option.  I would have them tied for 7th with Georgia State on my list of what makes sense..and that is really far down.  

3 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Does the CCG have its own TV deal? If it’s part of the ESPN deal would sitting tight at 11 and losing the CCG reduce the payouts? 

I dont think so.   To the best of my knowledge its part of the media deal.  That said, it doesnt mean there isnt a clause in the deal that reduces the payout if the conference loses the CCG.  

The Dallas Mavericks will be putting a statue of Dirk Nowitzki in front of the AAC.

Although, thats probably not the tribute or the AAC being addressed.....

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Air Force better be prepared to be bored I guess

Few around here seemed to care much about hosting the Tulanes and Tulsas of the world. No one ever circled East Carolina or SMU on the calendar.Football in the AAC — for UConn, by UConn — was boring.

https://www.courant.com/sports/hc-sp-uconn-football-david-benedict-column-20191024-kepakk45xvccpcujkf22e26bhy-story.html

9 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

To be fair, Air Force definitely has a different profile from most MW schools (large public universities) as seen from Bob being their only online fan representative on this board.

In a lot of ways they have more in common with small private schools in the AAC west such as Tulsa, Tulane, SMU, Navy, etc. These schools all have low enrollments and small fan bases with higher academic standards.

Plus the mission of Air Force football is to play around the country and serve as advertising for the Academy, that would work better in the AAC.

I can definitely see the fit, and it would be really cool if they could get Army to join them.

40 minutes ago, bigd said:

To be fair, Air Force definitely has a different profile from most MW schools (large public universities) as seen from Bob being their only online fan representative on this board.

In a lot of ways they have more in common with small private schools in the AAC west such as Tulsa, Tulane, SMU, Navy, etc. These schools all have low enrollments and small fan bases with higher academic standards.

Plus the mission of Air Force football is to play around the country and serve as advertising for the Academy, that would work better in the AAC.

I can definitely see the fit, and it would be really cool if they could get Army to join them.

Then it comes back to Air Force basketball and the others sports.  Where do they go?  

21 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Then it comes back to Air Force basketball and the others sports.  Where do they go?  

The Summit would be a really good fit for them, they'd have a natural rival with Denver. It's becoming a pretty solid league.

1 hour ago, bigd said:

Bob's a Wyo fan. He's simply been too lazy to change his location from the default.

As to AFA, are the Falcons going to leave once the lousy new TV deal is announced? Let's hope so. Time for somebody to start the dominoes falling to break up this square-pegs-in-round-holes conference. Besides, Craig Thompson has undoubtedly earned enough that he could retire to the Bahamas.

Boom goes the dynamite.