Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

Air Force thinking of leaving the MWC?

Guest #1Stunner
8 minutes ago, Tulsa Guy said:

Why would BYU join MWC with a payout of $1.1M per school?  Is that logical?

Don't be obtuse.

You know that the MWC is signing a new TV contract in the next couple of months.

52 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

If the MW gets up to $3-$4 million a year, what financial incentive would be there?  They'd get like $4 million for football only right plus whatever else they can get from the MO Valley, Summit, or WAC?  

I could see them going to the AAC possibly, but it won't be for a huge money increase

If the MWC was getting up to $3-$4 million a year, it would have undoubtedly leaked by now.

Regarding AFA's Coach's comments, I don't think travel is the issue nor conference payout. I think it is exposure. The AFA/Hawaii game was telecast beginning 11PM EST and 10PM EST.

1 hour ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

Why would you join the AAC from the MW? it's only a lateral move, at the best. If AFA doesn't like the MWC, they'd be better off as an independent. 

4.8 million as a football only in the AAC vs making 1.1 million for all sports in the MWC...that seems like a pretty easy choice.

only issue I see is actually deciding to pull the trigger and deciding where to park their other sports.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

43 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

If the MW gets up to $3-$4 million a year, what financial incentive would be there?  They'd get like $4 million for football only right plus whatever else they can get from the MO Valley, Summit, or WAC?  

I could see them going to the AAC possibly, but it won't be for a huge money increase

if the MWC was about to get a deal that pays 3-4 million per team/per year it would have leaked by this point IMHO.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

4 hours ago, Tulsa Guy said:

I don't need to hype Tulsa's standing in college football.  Tulsa has a tradition of success and is respected.  For example, Tulsa and Oklahoma State just signed an 8 game contract with 4 games @OSU and 4 games @Tulsa

Tulsa has neither standing, tradition, success nor respect.  Its a school unwilling to stake its own claim so its happy being a parasite.

And what OSU signed was an 8 yr deal where they will have home field advantage every year.  I am personally familiar with such arrangements.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

If the MWC were to (need) to add another school to replace Air Force, why would they take on a school that has little success in the conference/division that they play in now? Looking at all of you Texas schools and well I guess that includes Tulsa. UAB is not a gem of a school neither and is a hell of a long way from any MW schools. And no I don’t see any AAC schools jumping ship to join the Mountain West. The MWC might have to look outside the little box just a smidge. They need a football team/program that has tradition, leadership, culture; and I’m not talking about the last year type of tradition and such.  

1 hour ago, RSF said:

Tulsa has neither standing, tradition, success nor respect.  Its a school unwilling to stake its own claim so its happy being a parasite.

And what OSU signed was an 8 yr deal where they will have home field advantage every year.  I am personally familiar with such arrangements.

Since you are personally familiar with such arrangements, what is your take on Colorado U dropping Colorado State U off their schedule?  It appears CU will play CSU only 1 time after 2020 and then nothing.

4 hours ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Which "western" schools? You must mean UNR only. Certainly not SDSU, Fresno or SJSU. The last thing any of us would want to do is elevate another University of California school to be our athletic equal and I suspect UNLV barely knows that UCD even exists.

WHY? You may very well be correct but you do not speak for all the Calif schools but try to for SDSU. I would like to know more about the last thing "any of us"  want other than your opinion wants to elevate another Ca school. UC Davis will not happen, but if they did it's much better for attendance than Montana or a Texas school.

19 minutes ago, westfan said:

WHY? You may very well be correct but you do not speak for all the Calif schools but try to for SDSU. I would like to know more about the last thing "any of us"  want other than your opinion wants to elevate another Ca school. UC Davis will not happen, but if they did it's much better for attendance than Montana or a Texas school.

I don’t think UC Davis would draw as much as you think. They can’t get much for fans at their own Homecoming game when they are ranked in FCS.

1 hour ago, ToTheMountains said:

I don’t think UC Davis would draw as much as you think. They can’t get much for fans at their own Homecoming game when they are ranked in FCS.

I grew up about 12 miles from Davis and I can tell you if you give that community, not just the students something to be excited about they will attend games. Montana, Montana State, Portland State, Weber State, Eastern Wash, Idaho, etc. won't do it. Games against SJSU, Fresno St, Nevada ,SDSU, would, throw in a OOC game against Cal or another Pac 12 school and their attendant would be equal if not better than some MWC schools..

3 hours ago, Tulsa Guy said:

Why would BYU join MWC with a payout of $1.1M per school?  Is that logical?

They wouldn't currently or they would have already.  The only reason they would join any conference is if it were "P5", so that counts out both of ours.  Should they get tired of independence, playing schools that are around them would make more sense than spending so much time on the east coast.  Mormons are nationwide and they schedule games with your conference because they want to be a national brand, ala Notre Dame.  That will inevitably fail, imo.  They are no Notre Dame.

The Mormons have deep pockets so I think the money side of things is really just a front. It's all image.

But if they were to invade your conference, remember, it's about assimilation.  Resistance is futile.

3ri86f_zps324c34f8.jpg

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

Are we seriously on a 14 page mental masturbation exercise in complete and utter unlikely speculation in the middle of Football season? Do ANY of you who are in such a froth about this have ANYTHING better to think/ worry about? Do any of you have even a modicum of critical thinking capability? No wonder conspiracy culture has run amok in this Great Land...

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

2 hours ago, Wyovanian said:

Are we seriously on a 14 page mental masturbation exercise in complete and utter unlikely speculation in the middle of Football season? Do ANY of you who are in such a froth about this have ANYTHING better to think/ worry about? Do any of you have even a modicum of critical thinking capability? No wonder conspiracy culture has run amok in this Great Land...

People barely post about football on here anymore during the week.  Just game threads anymore really.

11 hours ago, RSF said:

The basic problem is our football coach is not very good.  But as incompetent as he is, Tulsa would undoubtedly be a bowl eligible team in MWC.  The AAC has strong depth and there certainly are no gimmees in AAC.

Tulsa 34, SJSU 16

Tulsa 24, Wyoming 21

1 hour ago, Ibanez said:

Every time I give you a chance your dumbass AAC troll comments leak. The MWC makes 1.1 million already. We have already had reports that they were getting more months ago. And the AF AD was one of the athletic directors who said the Mountain West would want less money for a shorter media contract. 3.5 million for 5 years is better than 6 million for 11 or 12 years. Why? Because of the changing nature of media. Because of realignment scenarios. Because you never know if ESPN or CBS drops a channel or two.

Do you really think 6 or 7 million is important to a University? Honesty? The money from a media contract is a dick measuring contest. Thats it. Ia am sure most average G5 teams make that in two home games. That is why the front range schools here are fighting with the coastal schools about kick-off times.

Tulsa Guy knows his school hit the jackpot. That is why he is constantly running his mouth about TV and airports. His school is so unimportant, they are constantly being told buy his AAC mates how it was a mistake to bring Tulsa in. That is why his dumbass can't help himself to stay over here and bark about UCF's success. Deep down, he knows he roots for a FCS school who won the lottery. As a Memphis fans you know about being left out. Memphis is mainly Tennessee fans and Ole Miss fans. You're the third wheel in your own town. That is the AAC in general. That explains why you don't know how to act when you lose and you sure as Hell dont know how to win. Thank God Boise came back to the MWC and washed that stink off from that thrown together shit fire.

What's your excuse for hanging out on a MWC board giving your useless and biased opinion?  I wouldn't wanna hang out with those morons over there either but at least you and your constant pats on the back for in better over there with your butt buddies. Ya think?

Don't bother answering. Just snuggle with your Danny White and Mike Aresco posters and be happy and grateful for everything UCF football and UConn basketball gave you.

Following the Denver Airport meeting, Airport Al pronounced the Texas schools and Tulsa as a bunch of "never haves, never wills."  That remark was picked up by the sports media and plastered on news media coast to coast. 

But many in the sports media at the time (outside the MWC footprint) criticized MWC for making a mistake in not expanding their geography, i.e., TV viewership.  I have held the same opinion from day 1 following the Denver Airport meeting to today.  But MWC fans ridiculed us on the CUSA board for expressing this opinion.  So, I have followed the fortunes of MWC ever since.  For the old timers on this board, remember Zoombag?  Zoombag would probably turn over in his grave over the AFA Coach's public comments.

At the time of the Denver Airport meeting, I thought Tulsa was placed in jeopardy of losing its football program by being left out of a good conference.  Prior to the WAC invitation, Tulsa was involved with other schools in putting together a conference which eventually became CUSA.  Tulsa instead accepted the WAC-16 invitation because Tulsa wanted to be with the Texas schools.  That is what drives the three Oklahoma schools, OU, OSU, and TU.  All three schools are loaded with Texas recruits.

I agree with your statement that "The money from a media contract is a DXXX measuring contest.  It shouldn't be that way.  But, unfortunately, that is the college sports world today by how each conference and school is measured and judged.  And that was true on the day of the Denver Airport meeting.

Life takes its twists and turns that no person, no matter how knowledgeable they consider themselves, no matter how superior they consider themselves, cannot forsee.  The two greatest beneficiaries of MWC's realignment turmoil were Boise State and Tulsa.  Boise State got pulled up into the "never have, never will" WAC following the MWC split and, with this launch pad, became a national program.  I remember many MWC fans ridiculing Boise State as a truck driving school when BSU was invited into WAC.

The third school that benefitted greatly from MWC's realignment turmoil is former Sun Belt member Utah State, also ridiculed by MWC fans prior to USU's MWC invitation.  Just like BSU, the opportunity to play in a respectable conference energized USU football.

For Tulsa, Boise State went for the $1.8 million cash grab and opened the gate for Tulsa to be in AAC.  Tulsa persevered and remained in contact with the schools it has had a long history with.  Yes, Tulsa hit the jackpot with AAC.  The AAC is, without question, a jackpot.  As the TU AD stated, AAC is the best conference Tulsa has ever been in.  I deeply thank all the AAC Presidents who voted for Tulsa to be in AAC.  The AAC Presidents had many, many fine schools to pick from but they chose Tulsa.

16 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

(1) BYU isn't going to pay $30M in game buyouts so it can join the AAC

Both BYU and UCF--and other AAC schools--are hoping they get invited to B12 when the current B12 TV contract expires in a few years. 

My guess is BYU administrators are astute and have not and will not tie themselves up with long term contracts with huge buyouts....so BYU can accept that B12 invitation if it materializes.  It would not surprise me if BYU has language in their contracts that the contract is null and void if BYU accepts a conference invitation, whether B12 or AAC.

18 hours ago, Tulsa Guy said:

I don't need to hype Tulsa's standing in college football.  Tulsa has a tradition of success and is respected.  For example, Tulsa and Oklahoma State just signed an 8 game contract with 4 games @OSU and 4 games @Tulsa whereas Colorado U is dropping Colorado State U off the schedule.

LMFAO at "tradition of success and respected"...hahahaha

Hahahaha

Hahahahahaha

10 minutes ago, Tulsa Guy said:

Both BYU and UCF--and other AAC schools--are hoping they get invited to B12 when the current B12 TV contract expires in a few years. 

My guess is BYU administrators are astute and have not and will not tie themselves up with long term contracts with huge buyouts....so BYU can accept that B12 invitation if it materializes.  It would not surprise me if BYU has language in their contracts that the contract is null and void if BYU accepts a conference invitation, whether B12 or AAC.

BYU joining the Big 12 can cancel the game cancellation penalties.  Joining the AAC cannot.

6 minutes ago, Pelado said:

BYU joining the Big 12 can cancel the game cancellation penalties.  Joining the AAC cannot.

Even Notre Dame with its national presence and success was forced to affiliate with ACC in order to qualify for good football bowls.  If BYU is to move its football program forward to participate in good bowls and qualify for a NY6 bowl, it cannot continue as an independent.