Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

Air Force thinking of leaving the MWC?

17 hours ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

I've never heard them referred to as NMU before. Aren't they UNM? 

Tusla Guy is as clueless as the occasional high school kid offered by SDSU who thereafter tweets "Proud and blessed to say I've received a scholarship offer from the University of San Diego State."

Boom goes the dynamite.

15 hours ago, Ibanez said:

OK.  Mugtang. It's time to ban this troll. His shit is officially stale and he adds nothing to this board.

Agreed. Here's a recent photo of Tusla Guy:  White dog poop

Boom goes the dynamite.

15 minutes ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

As far as I can tell, everyone on this board who is a veteran loves having AFA whereas most of the rest of us couldn't care less.

My personal view as a non-vet is that AFA brings as many negatives as positives and one of the alleged positives is the emphasis given the military academies by CBSSports which is itself as much a detriment to the conference as it is a benefit.

CBS only cares about the Army - Navy game.  That is why they pay over $10 million for that game.  The games on CBSSN are most likely no dollar amount but CBS will absorb the production cost.

Air Force is an afterthought in regards to Army or Navy.

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantFan said:

Which "western" schools? You must mean UNR only. Certainly not SDSU, Fresno or SJSU. The last thing any of us would want to do is elevate another University of California school to be our athletic equal and I suspect UNLV barely knows that UCD even exists.

Hawaii? Boise??

7 hours ago, Tulsa Guy said:

If the AAC was forced to add a 12th school, I would invite BYU with two caveats:  (1)  There is no entry fee.  (2)  There is no exit fee and BYU can leave AAC anytime it wants.  A one day notification is all that is necessary for BYU to leave and there is no deadline date during the calendar year to do so.

Both BYU and UCF have to get it out of their heads that the B12 is going to expand to 12 teams when the current B12 TV contract runs out in a few years.  This strategy would allow BYU to have its cake (AAC) and eat it too (possibly receiving a B12 invite.)

If BYU did not receive a B12 invite, then BYU in AAC would strengthen the argument being made by Aresco for AAC to be an automatic qualifier for the proposed expansion of the national playoff to 8 teams.

BYU takes a budget hit joining the AAC

One thing that amuses me about AAC fans is that they, on the NCAABBS board at least, tend to believe BYU is P5.  While I'm sure that's flattering to the BYU execs, it doesn't make it so.

And BYU joining the AAC wouldn't help their case.  Aresco's "Pompous 6" campaign is as spurious as the notion that BYU is P5.

There is only one logical choice for BYU if they join a conference.  That would be the MWC. 

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

2 minutes ago, Boise fan said:

One thing that amuses me about AAC fans is that they, on the NCAABBS board at least, tend to believe BYU is P5.  While I'm sure that's flattering to the BYU execs, it doesn't make it so.

And BYU joining the AAC wouldn't help their case.  Aresco's "Pompous 6" campaign is as spurious as the notion that BYU is P5.

There is only one logical choice for BYU if they join a conference.  That would be the MWC. 

MWC is the only fit for them. They have their natural rivals...etc.

AAC might be a novelty for them for a year or two, but games against Tulsa, Tulane, the directional Florida schools, etc. won't draw the same that MWC games would. 

Guest #1Stunner
2 minutes ago, Boise fan said:

Yes, I don't know why this Tulsa guy keeps posting that the AAC is on the verge of adding BYU.

(1) BYU isn't going to pay $30M in game buyouts so it can join the AAC

(2) The AAC is just CUSA with a new name.  It's not special.  Has poor fan support.

(3) If BYU decides to rejoin a G5 conference, it will obviously be the MWC.

Regardless, there has been nothing to indicate that BYU is joining any conference, besides the WCC.   Plus BYU much more heavily schedules games against MWC schools than it does the AAC.

36 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Hawaii? Boise??

Hawaii doesn't have a vote on conference expansion and Boise's in the Mountain division and since they've never been in a conference with UCD at least to my knowledge, I'm sure the Broncos could give a rip about Davis other than that UCD's coach Dan Whozit was once at Boise.

Boom goes the dynamite.

34 minutes ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

Why would you join the AAC from the MW? it's only a lateral move, at the best. If AFA doesn't like the MWC, they'd be better off as an independent. 

Realistically, I'd think it football only and gives their other sports a chance to play in a league where they would be more competitive.  As for travel, I dont see how the AAC helps much---but I dont think it hurts much either.  There are only 8 AAC games a year for for Air Force.  Four of those are road games.  Two to 3 of those games are vs West division opponents--which are not much farther than their current travel.   So, only 1 or 2 games a year at most really going to be far away--and none will be Hawaii far.  With Navy being a guaranteed conference game, it does allow Air Force more flexibility in OOC scheduling.  In the end, the travel wont be much different---but there would be a nice money boost they wont see in the MW.    I still think any move to the AAC is relatively unlikely.     

On 10/13/2019 at 2:10 PM, Wyobraska said:

If AF feels like another situation is best for their institution, then I hope they pursue it.  I wish them the best of luck.  I hope Wyoming and AF can still schedule OOC.  

Their football seems to belong but a lot of their other sports don't.  Will be interesting to see where they end up.  AAC isn't much different but more travel probably.  Indy would be a lot of travel too, but maybe some easier opponents?  I'm not really sure what Howdy Doody is trying to get across here based on the NBC article.  Weird timing too.

@ltcpilotAny rumors or just Troy bring Troy?

It isn’t his decision and he’s a well known whiner and mentally eclectic. 

kat.jpg

40 minutes ago, CaffeinatedCoog said:

Realistically, I'd think it football only and gives their other sports a chance to play in a league where they would be more competitive.  As for travel, I dont see how the AAC helps much---but I dont think it hurts much either.  There are only 8 AAC games a year for for Air Force.  Four of those are road games.  Two to 3 of those games are vs West division opponents--which are not much farther than their current travel.   So, only 1 or 2 games a year at most really going to be far away--and none will be Hawaii far.  With Navy being a guaranteed conference game, it does allow Air Force more flexibility in OOC scheduling.  In the end, the travel wont be much different---but there would be a nice money boost they wont see in the MW.    I still think any move to the AAC is relatively unlikely.     

If the MW gets up to $3-$4 million a year, what financial incentive would be there?  They'd get like $4 million for football only right plus whatever else they can get from the MO Valley, Summit, or WAC?  

I could see them going to the AAC possibly, but it won't be for a huge money increase

9 hours ago, RSF said:

Aresco says a lot of things.

He also said this:

If the waiver request is denied, however, Aresco told reporters before Saturday's game between Memphis and Temple that the AAC would have to consider expansion due to the importance of holding a football championship game moving forward.

He also said this - which will never happen, cuz all the Power 5 schools - the ones who created the new rules - will vote against it.

“If we do get it, we would move quickly towards trying to get legislation permanently to do what we need to do, which is play at 11 teams and still maintain an eight-game conference schedule,” Aresco said.

We'll see.

The original rule.  No waivers needed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania_State_Athletic_Conference#Role_in_Division_I_conference_realignment

Role in Division I conference realignment[edit]

The PSAC played a little-known but nonetheless significant role in the history of NCAA Division I conference realignment. In 1986, the conference was seeking a way out of a football scheduling conundrum. The PSAC had 14 members at the time, and had been split into divisions for decades. One of the methods it historically used to determine a football champion involved a championship game between the winners of its two divisions. However, due to NCAA limits on regular-season games, every PSAC team had to leave a schedule spot open, with only the two division winners getting to play all of their allowed regular-season games. Then-conference commissioner Tod Eberle asked Dick Yoder, then athletic director at West Chester and member of the Division II council, to draft NCAA legislation that would allow the PSAC to play a conference title game that would be exempt from regular-season limits. The initial draft required that a qualifying league have 14 members and play a round-robin schedule within each division; only the PSAC then qualified.[10]

Before Yoder formally introduced the proposal, he was approached by the Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association, which was interested in co-sponsoring the legislation because it was also split into football divisions and wanted the option of a championship game. Since the CIAA then had 12 members, Yoder changed the legislation to require 12 members instead of 14. Although at the time all NCAA legislation had to be approved by the entire membership, regardless of divisional alignment, the proposal passed with little notice. It was generally seen as a non-issue by Division I-A (now FBS) schools since no conference in that group then had more than 10 members. While the PSAC planned to stage its first exempt title game in 1988, it decided against doing so at that time because the D-II playoffs expanded from 8 to 16 teams that season, and it feared that the result of a title game could cost the league a playoff berth. The new NCAA rule would not see its first use until the Southeastern Conference took advantage of it by expanding to 12 members in 1991 and launching a title game the following year. In 2014, Sports Illustrated writer Andy Staples said that the rule "helped dictate the terms of conference realignment for more than 20 years."[10]

yes, if the waiver is denied we'll have to move more quickly than anticipated...we already knew that

and yes, I've read the rule and know it's purpose...I don't see what I'm supposed to gain from this post. 

mem skyline sig.jpeg

6 hours ago, Ibanez said:

His complaint is too much travel. You just gave him more reason to complain.

if there is any chance of gaining one of the academies you have to go 'all in' on that option as there is very little of value in CUSA, Sun Belt, or the MAC to add.

about the only attractive candidate I see there is UAB.

new stadium under construction:

ProtectiveStadiumFeature.jpg

nice football support facilities:

1422-UABFootballOpsimage4_web.jpg

tradition rich hoops program:

bartow_630x.jpg

plus they have a large market, good academics, and are smack dab in the middle of the AAC footprint...

mem skyline sig.jpeg