Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

Air Force thinking of leaving the MWC?

13 hours ago, Tulsa Guy said:

Neither do I.  The OKC NBA team adopted Thunder as its nickname, which is quite fitting.  But Hurricane has been around so long....that it is impossible to drop as most alumni identify with its past accomplishments and history.  I would do what New Mexico U did.  NMU is the wolves but in the spanish lobo.  I would find an indian word for hurricane or tornado or strong wind, whatever, and use it.

I like it!  The Tulsa Breaking Wind. 

Has a good ring to it!  

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

1 hour ago, bigd said:

Interesting, this isn't how I remember it but maybe you're correct. According to these links, USU and SJSU were added May 4th, 2012, and Boise and SDSU returned to the MWC in late December/early January of the next year.

http://www.usu.edu/today/index.cfm?id=51129

https://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-huskies/hc-xpm-2012-12-31-hc-big-east-boise-state-0101-20121231-story.html

I guess the rest is only speculation on whether people thought Boise and SDSU would return. But I remember that at the time I didn't, and the MW didn't feel safe only having 8 members (and not enough to continue fielding baseball).

I personally remember how difficult it was to be here during the brief flirtation with the B.E.  I don't think I've seen this board more hostile, even counting how the OT board has been the past few years.

I even took a foray into the BBS boards because of the hostility here.  What a clusterphuck that was!

1 hour ago, Tulsa Guy said:

If BYU did not receive a B12 invite, then BYU in AAC would strengthen the argument being made by Aresco for AAC to be an automatic qualifier for the proposed expansion of the national playoff to 8 teams.

Wow, you are delusional!  You ought to consider following up with your doctor and getting that prescription fixed.  Strengthen the argument from 'no chance in hell' to 'still no chance in hell.'

48 minutes ago, RSF said:

d26b138cf49f5d6a45ab70397ebf4e50.jpg

It is this possibility that has BSU fans looking over their shoulder and is the reason for the emotional BSU fan posts when this issue is discussed.  A writer for the Connecticut newspaper expressed the same thought for UConn football.  :hmmm:

1 hour ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Well I guess our perspectives would have been very different during that time. From my perspective, I remember TCU accepted the Big 12 invite in October And we were invited several months later (May 2012). I didn’t start coming to this board until that summer, and I remember while it wasn’t certain BSU and SDSU were staying, most people seemed to feel that the wolf of Wall Street “I’m not effing leaving” announcements from them were either inevitable, or at the very least very likely.  

Anyways, I’m just saying the dynamics of the last round of realignment probably would have been very different had CCGs been an option for 10 team conferences.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree unless someone can come up with better links. I highly doubt that USU and SJSU would have been added if BSU and SDSU didn't leave for the Big East.

Just now, OrediggerPoke said:

Wow, you are delusional!  You ought to consider following up with your doctor and getting that prescription fixed.  Strengthen the argument from 'no chance in hell' to 'still no chance in hell.'

Never mind that there is NO proposed expansion....I think he really believes there's an argument to be made.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

4 minutes ago, Tulsa Guy said:

It is this possibility that has BSU fans looking over their shoulder and is the reason for the emotional BSU fan posts when this issue is discussed.  A writer for the Connecticut newspaper expressed the same thought for UConn football.  :hmmm:

Do you think RSF is a Boise State fan? 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

ACC's RPI has been established despite UCF and Houston, AAC's traditional powers, having down years.  In addition, UConn football leaving will automatically boost AAC RPI.  This has been a good year for AAC as Tulane, SMU, and Temple have jumped their programs substantially to join traditional powers Cincy, Memphis, Houston, and UCF.  Navy appears back on track.  USF, Tulsa, and ECU need to clean up their acts.

Real time RPI.com College Football

1. SEC, 29.83

2. B1G, 29.05

3. Big 12, 28.06

4. PAC, 27.09

5. AAC, 25.71

6. ACC, 23.61

It would be one thing if it was a fan of a successful AAC team making these arguments.   The fact that it’s a Tulsa fan making these arguments makes it laughable.  Pounding your chest about how great your conference is in an attempt to up your importance and standing in college football.  LOL

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

10 minutes ago, mugtang said:

It would be one thing if it was a fan of a successful AAC team making these arguments.   The fact that it’s a Tulsa fan making these arguments makes it laughable.  Pounding your chest about how great your conference is in an attempt to up your importance and standing in college football.  LOL

I wonder what @TulsaLarry would say?

Agreed with others that this is just Calhoun being Calhoun. He's a grade A ass-clown who has an inflated ego of both himself and his program. This is just his reaction to having his big road trip to Hawaii sandwiched between 2 homes games against Fresno St. and USU. What the hell is he complaining about? We all do the trip to Hawaii. At least his team gets to return to another home game afterward. I remember in 2014 when USU played at Hawaii and then had to be in Laramie the following Friday night for a game.

Hell, you want to talk odd schedules - so far this season USU has only played 5 games, already had 2 byes, been all the way to the east coast to play @ Wake Forest, then to the west coast @ SDSU, then again to the SE @ LSU. In many ways it doesn't even feel like our season has begun yet.

1 hour ago, jdgaucho said:

RPI in football is a thing?  Really?? 

confused the beverly hillbillies GIF by EditingAndLayout

Only in the eyes of AAC fans. RPI as a metric in football is not a thing, but AAC peeps have latched onto it this year as it shows their teams in the most favorable light.

That said, there is no question the AAC has really impressive depth and lots of good teams and the traditional metrics  also demonstrate this, just to a lesser extent than RPI. Unfortunately for the AAC, there are lots of good teams but no great ones this year. I've been saying for awhile now that it will be difficult for them to produce a conference champ with less than 2 losses because of their overall depth. That will probably do them in for the NY6.

Guest #1Stunner
17 minutes ago, TrueAg said:

Agreed with others that this is just Calhoun being Calhoun. He's a grade A ass-clown who has an inflated ego of both himself and his program. This is just his reaction to having his big road trip to Hawaii sandwiched between 2 homes games against Fresno St. and USU. What the hell is he complaining about? We all do the trip to Hawaii. At least his team gets to return to another home game afterward. I remember in 2014 when USU played at Hawaii and then had to be in Laramie the following Friday night for a game.

Hell, you want to talk odd schedules - so far this season USU has only played 5 games, already had 2 byes, been all the way to the east coast to play @ Wake Forest, then to the west coast @ SDSU, then again to the SE @ LSU. In many ways it doesn't even feel like our season has begun yet.

to be fair to Calhoun, it is much more rigorous and difficult to be a student athlete at Air Force than at other, normal schools. 

It might be too much on their athletes.  Maybe they need to pursue an easier schedule like how Army does.

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

to be fair to Calhoun, it is much more rigorous and difficult to be a student athlete at Air Force than at other, normal schools. 

It might be too much on their athletes.  Maybe they need to pursue an easier schedule like how Army does.

Army says "Hi, hold my beer!"

2019 Army Football Schedule

Date   Opponent Time/TV Tickets
Friday
Aug. 30
Rice Football Schedule Rice Owls Michie Stadium, West Point, NY 6:00pm ETCBSSN W 14-7
Saturday
Sep. 7
Michigan Football Schedule at 7 Michigan Wolverines Michigan Stadium, Ann Arbor, MI 12:00pm ETFOX L 24-21(2OT)
Saturday
Sep. 14
UTSA Football Schedule at UTSA Roadrunners Alamodome, San Antonio, TX 3:30pm ETNFLN W 31-13
Saturday
Sep. 21
Morgan State Football Schedule Morgan State Bears Michie Stadium, West Point, NY 12:00pm ETCBSSN W 52-21
Saturday
Sep. 28
  OFF    
Saturday
Oct. 5
Tulane Football Schedule Tulane Green Wave Michie Stadium, West Point, NY 12:00pm ETCBSSN L 42-33
Saturday
Oct. 12
WKU Football Schedule at WKU Hilltoppers Houchens-Smith Stadium, Bowling Green, KY 7:00pm ETStadium L 17-8
Saturday
Oct. 19
Georgia State Football Schedule at Georgia State Panthers Georgia State Stadium, Atlanta, GA 7:00pm ETESPN+  
Saturday
Oct. 26
San Jose State Football Schedule San Jose State Spartans Michie Stadium, West Point, NY 12:00pm ETCBSSN  
Saturday
Nov. 2
Air Force Falcons Football Schedule at Air Force Falcons Falcon Stadium, Colorado Springs, CO 3:30pm ETCBSSN  
Saturday
Nov. 9
UMass Football Schedule UMass Minutemen Michie Stadium, West Point, NY 12:00pm ETCBSSN  
Saturday
Nov. 16
VMI Football Schedule VMI Keydets Michie Stadium, West Point, NY 12:00pm ETCBSSN  
Saturday
Nov. 23
  OFF    
Sunday
Dec. 1
Hawaii Football Schedule at Hawaii Rainbow Warriors Aloha Stadium, Honolulu, HI 12:30am ETCBSSN  
Saturday
Dec. 14
Navy Football Schedule vs Navy Midshipmen Lincoln Financial Field, Philadelphia, PA 3:00pm ETCBS  

2 hours ago, mugtang said:

Whether Tulsa is 0-12 or 12-0 is not an appropriate standard to judge the correctness or incorrectness of the decisions made at the Denver Airport meeting.  These past decisions are to be judged by where MWC stands today and in the future.

And, yes, like just about all college football fans, I am proud of the school I root for.  I don't need to hype Tulsa's standing in college football.  Tulsa has a tradition of success and is respected.  For example, Tulsa and Oklahoma State just signed an 8 game contract with 4 games @OSU and 4 games @Tulsa whereas Colorado U is dropping Colorado State U off the schedule.

To suggest that one single fan can "build up" the standing of the school they root for is ludicrous.  And it is doubly ludicrous when the team you root for has won a total of 5 games in the past two years.

19 hours ago, westfan said:

The MWC is unique, the western schools might prefer a UCD, while schools  In Colorado, Utah, Idaho and Wyoming might prefer Montana. The never ending expansion or realignment saga!:hookah:

Which "western" schools? You must mean UNR only. Certainly not SDSU, Fresno or SJSU. The last thing any of us would want to do is elevate another University of California school to be our athletic equal and I suspect UNLV barely knows that UCD even exists.

Boom goes the dynamite.

18 hours ago, Tulsa Guy said:

I think Boise State going for the $1.8M cash grab was definitely not smart.  Just think, BSU would be in POW6R AAC along with San Diego State, AFA, and perhaps BYU. 

BSU is the only school in that nation that has declined an offer to move up to a superior conference when given the chance. 

well this is dumb - meme

Boom goes the dynamite.

17 hours ago, Ibanez said:

OK. So why do they not belong in your opinion? They have only been here since the beginning.

As far as I can tell, everyone on this board who is a veteran loves having AFA whereas most of the rest of us couldn't care less.

My personal view as a non-vet is that AFA brings as many negatives as positives and one of the alleged positives is the emphasis given the military academies by CBSSports which is itself as much a detriment to the conference as it is a benefit.

Boom goes the dynamite.