Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

Air Force thinking of leaving the MWC?

The AACs best move would be to go to 10 and boot Tulsa.  But they're not that smart.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

The repercussions of Airport Al and the Boyz at the Denver Airport meeting continue today.  In a very ironic twist of fate, it was AFA, CSU, and WY that argued vehemently to drop the Texas Schools and Tulsa because of their desired wish to play each other annually which was not possible in the WAC-16.  Now, today, AFA Coach apparently wants AFA out of MWC, the conference they helped create.  Truly ironic!!!

So far, MWC has been recently confounded by the inability to lure Gonzaga because of MWC's poor visibility of their TV contract, lost the Las Vegas Bowl, and has the AFA Coach making public statements about the Falcons not fitting in MWC.  The MWC also let Wichita State slip away...

AAC Commissioner Aresco has publicly stated many times the AAC would not solicit any membership inquiries.  Aresco does not want a repeat of the B12 expansion fiasco.  Rather, Aresco and AAC Presidents would listen to any school presenting themselves for AAC membership.  Looks like there may be a knock on the AAC door by AFA?  Who knows?

Adding AFA does not preclude AAC from also adding BYU.  Aresco doesn't talk about it much but, on a very few occasions, he has publicly stated that a 14 team AAC should not be ruled out.  BYU and AFA would make for 13 members.

11 minutes ago, RSF said:

The AACs best move would be to go to 10 and boot Tulsa.  But theyre not that smart.

I think Boise State going for the $1.8M cash grab was definitely not smart.  Just think, BSU would be in POW6R AAC along with San Diego State, AFA, and perhaps BYU. 

BSU is the only school in that nation that has declined an offer to move up to a superior conference when given the chance. 

2 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

How often are you gonna bring up a meeting from 1998? We know the western schools wanted nothing to do with Tulsa. And we still don't! Yet, here you are!

He keeps spouting the same falsehoods, so at least he's consistent.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

11 minutes ago, Tulsa Guy said:

The repercussions of Airport Al and the Boyz at the Denver Airport meeting continue today.  In a very ironic twist of fate, it was AFA, CSU, and WY that argued vehemently to drop the Texas Schools and Tulsa because of their desired wish to play each other annually which was not possible in the WAC-16.  Now, today, AFA Coach apparently wants AFA out of MWC, the conference they helped create.  Truly ironic!!!

So far, MWC has been recently confounded by the inability to lure Gonzaga because of MWC's poor visibility of their TV contract, lost the Las Vegas Bowl, and has the AFA Coach making public statements about the Falcons not fitting in MWC.  The MWC also let Wichita State slip away...

AAC Commissioner Aresco has publicly stated many times the AAC would not solicit any membership inquiries.  Aresco does not want a repeat of the B12 expansion fiasco.  Rather, Aresco and AAC Presidents would listen to any school presenting themselves for AAC membership.  Looks like there may be a knock on the AAC door by AFA?  Who knows?

Adding AFA does not preclude AAC from also adding BYU.  Aresco doesn't talk about it much but, on a very few occasions, he has publicly stated that a 14 team AAC should not be ruled out.  BYU and AFA would make for 13 members.

Would love to explain how dumb that comment is, but it's just not worth it.

2 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Would love to explain how dumb that comment is, but it's just not worth it.

Wouldnt understand anyways.

Because, you know...Oklahoma...

I mean, seriously...check out sometime how Tulsa got that moronic nickname.  It's some galaxy level idiocy.

17 minutes ago, Tulsa Guy said:

I think Boise State going for the $1.8M cash grab was definitely not smart.  Just think, BSU would be in POW6R AAC along with San Diego State, AFA, and perhaps BYU. 

BSU is the only school in that nation that has declined an offer to move up to a superior conference when given the chance. 

A few issues with your post.

1. The AAC is not a clearly superior conference over the long term. We have a small sample size and the MWC has been the better conference the last two years.

2. The AAC should have created a true western division if they wanted the best G5 team in college football in their conference. BSU being the best G5 team over the last two decades isn't an opinion, it's a fact. So if you had really valued us, and if you really wanted the AAC to be a power conference in actuality and not just in your marketing materials, then you should have kept your word and created a real western division.

Your loss is the MWC's gain with regards to us, SDSU and AFA.

Now +++++ off.

Okay that last sentence may have been a bit gratuitous but Imma gonna let it stand.

8 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

Tulsa Tornadoes sounds great and fits Oklahoma...I don't get it.

Neither do I.  The OKC NBA team adopted Thunder as its nickname, which is quite fitting.  But Hurricane has been around so long....that it is impossible to drop as most alumni identify with its past accomplishments and history.  I would do what New Mexico U did.  NMU is the wolves but in the spanish lobo.  I would find an indian word for hurricane or tornado or strong wind, whatever, and use it.

8 minutes ago, nocoolnamejim said:

2. The AAC should have created a true western division if they wanted the best G5 team in college football in their conference. BSU being the best G5 team over the last two decades isn't an opinion, it's a fact. So if you had really valued us, and if you really wanted the AAC to be a power conference in actuality and not just in your marketing materials, then you should have kept your word and created a real western division.

And would have left Tulsa where they belong.

He likes to leave that part out for some reason.

6 minutes ago, RSF said:

And would have left Tulsa where they belong.

He likes to leave that part out for some reason.

I have thanked BSU many, many, many times for going for the $1.8M cash grab.  Do you not recall my tortoise versus the hare posts?  BSU made the same mistake as the Denver Airport Boyz....BSU also got too smitten with itself. 

Dakotas?  Montanas?

IF (and that's a big IF) AFA leaves then I'm sure the two options will be looked at.

Can the MWC expand into Texas?

If no or not worth it, then see if they can get Hawaii into a ND type deal and stick with 10 schools.

The day that the Montana and the Dakota schools are being looked at by the MWC is the day the MWC is truly dead.  That's a last gasp move that the WAC would make.

image.gif

1 hour ago, Headbutt said:

You may be right, but I remember it slightly different.  I think we were short on enough schools to sponsor a certain sport or maybe two.  Either way, yes it was a panic move to keep the conference legit with the NCAA somehow.  SJSU FB was doing pretty good at the time as well.

Yea I remember part of the reason we were added was so the MWC could continue to sponsor baseball. I think had they 12 team rule not been in place maybe the MWC decides to make UH a full member instead of bringing us in. You are right though that we may have still been added. My point was that the Montana fan was overlooking that the MW HAD to add two schools at that particular time, and now the circumstances are different.

1 hour ago, RSF said:

The AAC isnt scrambling because they think they can get a waiver, which they need if they dont play round robin - which is the requirement for less than 12.  We'll see...

Yea, but I have a feeling they’ll get the waiver. Although if they don’t things will get very interesting. 

6 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Yea, but I have a feeling they’ll get the waiver. Although if they don’t things will get very interesting. 

They may get it for one year, just because of timing, otherwise the rule becomes useless.  Because the specific restrictions were designed to prevent exactly what the AAC wants to do.

12 minutes ago, CKS007 said:

Dakotas?  Montanas?

IF (and that's a big IF) AFA leaves then I'm sure the two options will be looked at.

Can the MWC expand into Texas?

If no or not worth it, then see if they can get Hawaii into a ND type deal and stick with 10 schools. 

The day that the Montana and the Dakota schools are being looked at by the MWC is the day the MWC is truly dead.  That's a last gasp move that the WAC would make.

1.  MWC cannot recruit Texas.  That horse left the barn (or should I say Denver Airport?) when the WAC-16 was destroyed.

2.  Keep Hawaii; send Wyoming to Big Sky where they belong.  One less hungry mouth to feed.  Yes, stick to 10 schools.  This is what B12 did and they seem to be doing just fine.

3.  Agree again.

3 minutes ago, RSF said:

They may get it for one year, just because of timing, otherwise the rule becomes useless.  Because the specific restrictions were designed to prevent exactly what the AAC wants to do.

I thought most waivers were for 24 months? 

mem skyline sig.jpeg

8 minutes ago, RSF said:

It is in MWC's best interests that AAC is granted a waiver to have a conference championship game with 11 teams.....as MWC may also be seeking a waiver soon if AFA leaves.