Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wyobraska

Wyoming @ San Diego State

18 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Wyoming really needed this win tonight.  Pokes are 4-2 now and it's gonna be hard to get 6 wins and will be damn damn hard to get to 7.

We have Nevada, New Mexico and CSU all at homes.  Step off the ledge.  This Cowboys team is a team that competes and is on the verge of being good.  

2 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

We have Nevada, New Mexico and CSU all at homes.  Step off the ledge.  This Cowboys team is a team that competes and is on the verge of being good.  

No ledge here.  The Cowboys are a 6 or 7 win team this season.

3 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Agreed.  So rarely do they throw to the RB's or TE's.  Seems like these shorter throws could be helpful to Chambers confidence and could be called on earlier downs.

I dont think Vigen is being stubborn, I think he literally doesnt know how to call it any differently. 

Without a future NFL starter behind center the result is a passing O ranked 127/130.  Also, I think people forget how much Allen was bailed out by 3 of the most uncannily clutch receivers in WY history.

"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."

5 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

Just now, NorthWestCowboy said:

I'd have to agree with NorthWestCowboy.  The offense is too one dimensional and Nevada could possibly throw all over one of the worst secondaries in football.  It is just the reality of this season.  Plus, CSU is far, far from a gimme.  You never count a W in a rivalry game I don't care what their record is 

2 minutes ago, Subcanis said:

I dont think Vigen is being stubborn, I think he literally doesnt know how to call it any differently. 

Without a future NFL starter behind center the result is a passing O ranked 127/130.  Also, I think people forget how much Allen was bailed out by 3 of the most uncannily clutch receivers in WY history.

And a defense that took the ball away regularly.

1 minute ago, Subcanis said:

I agree.  Pretty much the exact same offense every year.  He has put in a few wrinkles for Chambers this year, but I don't know if he knows any other philosophy or will change anything up.  It is maddening.  

5 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

I also believe this is a 7 win team. I picked a 5 win team prior to the season and didn’t really see 7 wins as a likely result. Considering the youth (Especially on the offensive line), this has me pretty excited for the next few years of cowboy football. 

4 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

I agree.  Pretty much the exact same offense every year.  He has put in a few wrinkles for Chambers this year, but I don't know if he knows any other philosophy or will change anything up.  It is maddening.  

Just as concerning is what appears to be a deficiencey in recruiting and developing WR and TE's that can run effective routes and catch.

3 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

And as a result, unless we dumb luck our way into another JA and maybe a Tanner Gentry or two, they'll be a 5-7 win team every year watching CCGs from home.  

"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."

Honestly it was a coin flip as to who would win the game. To take a win/loss from this game and extrapolate it into who should be coaching either team is ridiculous.  Chill out. Both teams have a ton of stuff to work on.

25 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Just as concerning is what appears to be a deficiencey in recruiting and developing WR and TE's that can run effective routes and catch.

Bohl has recruited excellent tight ends (I believe 3 are playing professional football).  The problem has been utilizing the tight end.  

7 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

Bohl has recruited excellent tight ends (I believe 3 are playing professional football).  The problem has been utilizing the tight end.  

Hollister and Fort are on NFL rosters but only Hollister is active.  Hollister was used a lot at UW.  Fort was used sparingly and had injury issues.  This season TE's rarely touch the ball.

Our fortunes seemed to improve after that fat kid got injured.

Nice game.  Concur with everyone who thinks that Bohl is a helluva coach

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

1 hour ago, Fowl said:

Honestly it was a coin flip as to who would win the game. To take a win/loss from this game and extrapolate it into who should be coaching either team is ridiculous.  Chill out. Both teams have a ton of stuff to work on.

I disagree.  Hard fought, very tough game.  Both teams played their asses off, which speaks to the head coaches of each program.  However, these are the type of games that Wyoming has not consistently won and has to win if they ever want to win a MW title.  Wyoming's offense has been garbage almost every year of the Bohl tenure.  I am tired of Wyoming beating the lower level teams in the conference and pretty much losing to the top tier teams.  Bohl inherited a mess, but at year 6, I feel like Wyoming should have more consistency and a proven identity on offense.  The only identity has been failure on offense except for 2016 which featured quite a few NFL quality players at key positions.  This game was also huge for Wyoming's bowl chances, which is badly needed for the program.  Wyoming needs 7 wins most likely and 7 wins will be tough.  

On the flip side, what Rocky has put out on offense the last couple of years has been pretty bad.  Yes, the Aztecs have produced some great RBs and lineman, but San Diego's inability to develop a QB is inexcusable.  SDSU should be one of the best teams, year in and year out in the MW.  I know they were about 3-4 years ago, but I feel like you guys are sliding backwards and it is because of your offense.  With your recruiting area, I just don't understand it.  

Both Bohl and Long are old school coaches.  I love their defenses for the most part, especially Rocky's, however, their idea of what an offense should be is outdated and I think both teams will struggle to win conference titles until the offensive philosophies are modernized.  I'm not saying they need to switch to the spread, but you have to have an offense that is enticing for QBs and WRs to want to play in.  You have to have at least good QB play to win these days.   To go to a NY6 bowl you need great QB play.  

25 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

Our fortunes seemed to improve after that fat kid got injured.

Nice game.  Concur with everyone who thinks that Bohl is a helluva coach

Losing Abojei was huge for Wyoming.  Rocky did a hell of job with half time adjustments though too.  SDSU owned that 3rd quarter when they had to get back into the game.  

1 hour ago, Headbutt said:

Look at your coaches, not the young QB.  He's got tools.

I don't know how well Vigen can coach up a young QB honestly.  Chambers has some tools, but man, he has a lot of holes as well as a passer.  Enough that I don't know how complete he will ever be as a passer.  He might be the type of QB though if you could get him to 55% completion percentage then with his running ability he could win a lot of games.  Right now though, he needs a lot of work.  

3 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

I don't know how well Vigen can coach up a young QB honestly.  Chambers has some tools, but man, he has a lot of holes as well as a passer.  Enough that I don't know how complete he will ever be as a passer.  He might be the type of QB though if you could get him to 55% completion percentage then with his running ability he could win a lot of games.  Right now though, he needs a lot of work.  

Maybe, but Josh Allen had a lot of holes as a passer and he's found some opportunities.  I just don't think you're offensive coaching favors training a passer.  We have the opposite problem at CSU.  We'd both probably be a lot better off if we swapped QB's for their sophomore year and then sent them back.

I think Chambers could be dangerous with more training in the passing game.  I'm not knocking your coaching.  It seems to be focused on a very complete understanding of what the offense is designed to do, and that seems to include the forward pass as a tool only to keep the defense honest.

This is a huge exaggeration but if I'm Tim Tebow I'm dying to play at Wyoming.  If I'm Dan Marino I'm running away from that notion.  You can't blame Bohl, he's coaching for northern weather and difficult conditions that favor the ball control game.  That kind of sums up Laramie after about the first of October.  It works.

Still, I think Chambers could reel in some decent numbers.  Not necessarily a 70% guy with a 12 YPA, but I do think he has the skills to add another serious dimension to the Wyo offense.