Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Turkey Bombed US Special Forces by “Mistake”

I don’t know if I buy that it was a mistake.

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Just now, DestinFlPackfan said:

Is Turkey better deep fried or oven roasted?

Deep fried

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

19 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Spatchcocked is the correct answer.  

I know that’s your favorite. 

News of the strike was first reported by Newsweek. A senior U.S. official said that describing the strike as an attack on U.S. service members would be "not accurate. The official added that there has been no military activity in the area since the explosion.

For its part, the government of Turkey claims that the incident occurred when a Kurdish outpost, roughly 1,000 meters south of the American outpost, launched mortars at Turkish forces, located north of the Americans. Turkey returned fire, with the American forces caught in the middle. Per the government statement, Turkish forces stopped firing when contacted by the Americans.

https://www.militarytimes.com/flashpoints/2019/10/11/no-us-forces-harmed-by-explosion-in-syria-says-official/

For those of you that have never actually been to a war zone, incidents such as this are neither uncommon or unexpected.

By the way, we're not out of Syria, or the region and won't be for a long time. Go to Google maps, not Earth and search Rukban, Jordan. Switch to Satellite view. That irregular  polygon you see 1000meters from the Syria/Jordan border is us ( a really brave, well trained subset of us).  Just to the north and west you'll what looks like a bunch of dots.  That's a giant refugee camp being protected by us and the Jordanians.

Next, Search for Al Assad Air base Iraq.  That giant base you see 50 miles from the Syrian border is likewise, us.

Search Incirlik Air base, Turkey. Again, us, IN TURKEY.

Then understand that big blue thing to the west of Sryia  contains any number of lethal assets that could literally level entire countries.

Further removed are places in the UAE, Kuwait, Saudi, Qatar and others that are mere minutes away.

We have the region surrounded. We have more assets within minutes of the battlefield than most of the standing armies combined. We have more than enough assets to protect the few small unit combat formations  still in country. Everybody, to include Turkey knows that.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

4 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

News of the strike was first reported by Newsweek. A senior U.S. official said that describing the strike as an attack on U.S. service members would be "not accurate. The official added that there has been no military activity in the area since the explosion.

For its part, the government of Turkey claims that the incident occurred when a Kurdish outpost, roughly 1,000 meters south of the American outpost, launched mortars at Turkish forces, located north of the Americans. Turkey returned fire, with the American forces caught in the middle. Per the government statement, Turkish forces stopped firing when contacted by the Americans.

https://www.militarytimes.com/flashpoints/2019/10/11/no-us-forces-harmed-by-explosion-in-syria-says-official/

For those of you that have never actually been to a war zone, incidents such as this are neither uncommon or unexpected.

By the way, we're not out of Syria, or the region and won't be for a long time. Go to Google maps, not Earth and search Rukban, Jordan. Switch to Satellite view. That irregular  polygon you see 1000meters from the Syria/Jordan border is us ( a really brave, well trained subset of us).  Just to the north and west you'll what looks like a bunch of dots.  That's a giant refugee camp being protected by us and the Jordanians.

Next, Search for Al Assad Air base Iraq.  That giant base you see 50 miles from the Syrian border is likewise, us.

Then understand that big blue thing to the west of Sryia  contains any number of lethal assets that could literally level entire countries.

Further removed are places in the UAE, Kuwait, Saudi, Qatar and others that are mere minutes away.

We have the region surrounded. We have more assets within minutes of the battlefield than most of the standing armies combined. We have more than enough assets to protect the few small unit combat formations  still in country. Everybody, to include Turkey knows that.

But do they know there's a quasi-debate over deep fried vs spatchcocked? 

58 minutes ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

I had to Google that....like it over open flames. Good call. I'll have to try that.

It makes for a wonderful bird.  The problem with a Turkey is that it is basically a large ball, which is not an optimal shape for cooking.  To get the whole thing done, you have to overcook the best meat.  By flattening the bird, you change the thermodynamic equation.  You expose far more skin to the heat source at the same time as well, allowing the fat to drip and start the "mallard" effect, insuring the bird stays moist.

Even deep frying the bird does not solve the problem of the physics of cooking a ball of raw meat.  Spatchcocking does.

Give it a go this year, it is a lot of fun as well.  Something about ripping out the spinal column and breaking the breast bone feel, right.

My thanksgiving Turkey will be properly spatchcocked this year. Thanks again.  Can't wait to tell the wife ( she's sleeping now) tomorrow that I'm spatchcocking our turkey. The look on her face is going to be priceless....."has he lost his damn mind..,,I knew it..where's my attorneys number".:rock:

On 10/11/2019 at 9:15 PM, SDSUfan said:

Just ask the Young Turks what’s going on with their home country’s military actions, and they’ll explain. They’re Young Turks, so we know that they’re right about everything, and I’m sure we’ll find out that Turkey thinks that anyone one that’s not a Turkey is a Chicken......and a Chicken Shit for that matter. 

kat.jpg

On 10/11/2019 at 8:03 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

It makes for a wonderful bird.  The problem with a Turkey is that it is basically a large ball, which is not an optimal shape for cooking.  To get the whole thing done, you have to overcook the best meat.  By flattening the bird, you change the thermodynamic equation.  You expose far more skin to the heat source at the same time as well, allowing the fat to drip and start the "mallard" effect, insuring the bird stays moist.

Even deep frying the bird does not solve the problem of the physics of cooking a ball of raw meat.  Spatchcocking does.

Give it a go this year, it is a lot of fun as well.  Something about ripping out the spinal column and breaking the breast bone feel, right.

I spatchcock chickens and turkeys all the time, but I don’t grill them. 225 in the smoker with apple and mesquite. Low and slow is the only way to go!