Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fbpack

Mwc 4peat Nevada basketball

5 minutes ago, TrueAg said:

I'm not saying winning the conference is an easy assumption, but the question was who the media preseason favorite would be. I think that is an easy assumption when one team returns the Player of the Year, the Defensive Player of the Year, and the Freshman of the Year and that team was both the conference regular season and tourney champ the previous year. I would assume that team would be favored to repeat no matter who they were.

• WHO’S GONE: Quinn Taylor, Dwayne Brown (both decent role players but not exactly major pieces), Crew Ainge, Ben Fakira (last guys off the bench / practice guys)
  • WHO’S BACK: Sam Merrill, Neemias Queta, Diogo Brito, Brock Miller, Abel Porter (starters), Justin Bean (6th man & partial starter), Roche Grootfaam, Klay Stall (returners who sat out last season with injury)
  • WHO’S COMING IN: Alphonso Anderson, Liam McChesney, Sean Bairstow, Kuba Karwowski (highest rated recruiting class that USU has ever had), Marco Anthony (transfer from Virginia / will sit out this season)

I think this Utah team has a chance to actually win a big game outside of conference play... that’s all I got. 

Boise State will have a pretty athletic team this year.  It also turned out Hobbs and Jessup played through some significant injuries last year and were not close to 100%.  Both required surgery in the off season.  Would be nice if Akot was eligible, at this point I don't think he will be. 

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Boise State will have a pretty athletic team this year.  It also turned out Hobbs and Jessup played through some significant injuries last year and were not close to 100%.  Both required surgery in the off season.  Would be nice if Akot was eligible, at this point I don't think he will be. 

I can’t pick against SDSU but Utah and Boise should be good. Nevada is a complete mystery but I cannot wait to see what this team looks like under Alford. 

26 minutes ago, TrueAg said:

I'm not saying winning the conference is an easy assumption, but the question was who the media preseason favorite would be. I think that is an easy assumption when one team returns the Player of the Year, the Defensive Player of the Year, and the Freshman of the Year and that team was both the conference regular season and tourney champ the previous year. I would assume that team would be favored to repeat no matter who they were.

• WHO’S GONE: Quinn Taylor, Dwayne Brown (both decent role players but not exactly major pieces), Crew Ainge, Ben Fakira (last guys off the bench / practice guys)
  • WHO’S BACK: Sam Merrill, Neemias Queta, Diogo Brito, Brock Miller, Abel Porter (starters), Justin Bean (6th man & partial starter), Roche Grootfaam, Klay Stall (returners who sat out last season with injury)
  • WHO’S COMING IN: Alphonso Anderson, Liam McChesney, Sean Bairstow, Kuba Karwowski (highest rated recruiting class that USU has ever had), Marco Anthony (transfer from Virginia / will sit out this season)

I thought that Merrill kid and another starter were gone. 

Logan gonna be a tough place to get a w again this year. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

3 hours ago, Rebels18 said:

Alford has been quiet lately....almost too quiet.

What's he been up to Reno fans? How's the recruiting classes coming? What's the style of play going to be like? Give us the deetz 

He's been figuring out how to lose in the first round of the NCAA tournament.  He takes pride in being a master at his craft. 

22 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

He's been figuring out how to lose in the first round of the NCAA tournament.  He takes pride in being a master at his craft. 

Are you getting him confused with someone else?

in his 11 tournament appearances across 4 schools he’s had 4 1st round exits, 3 2nd round exits, and 4 sweet 16 appearances. No coach in the MW has anything even remotely close to that resume.

Besides, hasn’t it been nearly 20 years since Wyoming has made it out of the first round?

2 hours ago, Bob said:

Alford is hairy as a monkey 

My ex said, if Alford came a calling, she’d dump me in hot minute!l for him! One of the best laughs I’ve had in a long time... told her he’s more likely to go for me, than her... and that I’d dump her in a hot minute too!

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

Alford coming back to the Pit, is gonna be epic. Alford against one of his former assistants! Im kinda seeing the MWC with 2, maybe 3, teams in the dance this year.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

15 minutes ago, bigd said:

Are you getting him confused with someone else?

in his 11 tournament appearances across 4 schools he’s had 4 1st round exits, 3 2nd round exits, and 4 sweet 16 appearances. No coach in the MW has anything even remotely close to that resume.

Besides, hasn’t it been nearly 20 years since Wyoming has made it out of the first round?

I was just thinking about his time at New Mexico when he doesn't have P5 amenities.  But I was incorrect to state he had tournament troubles every year.

I don't give a shit what Wyoming's record is.  You can still discuss other schools or coaches

1 hour ago, Wyobraska said:

I was just thinking about his time at New Mexico when he doesn't have P5 amenities.  But I was incorrect to state he had tournament troubles every year.

I don't give a shit what Wyoming's record is.  You can still discuss other schools or coaches

UCLA should be able to go to the sweet 16 regardless of who the coach is, lol. good luck to the pack. they have a good backcourt with Lindsay and Johnson back, but I'm not optimistic about Alford's ability in the tournament.

but I could be wrong.

4 hours ago, bigd said:

I know some Nevada fans have been a bit discouraged that he isn't going after or landing the same caliber of players as Musselman. He just has a completely different style, and we need to trust in the process. 

A lot of his best players at UNM were under the radar types, hopefully he's able to develop our roster and keep us at the top of the conference. Signing him to a 10 year deal was a huge gamble, so we're all hoping for the best. He's taken all 4 D1 schools that he's coached at to at least the 2nd round so it seems that his formula works. 

Yeah, I think most figured his recruiting classes at UNR would be closer to what he pulled in at UNM rather than UCLA. You can't knock him for not being able to find hidden gems at the 3 star and under level--he had alot of great players at UNM even if he couldn't win in the Dance with them. 

Too bad Muss didn't stick around, his style of play was fun. Alford going to play slow-ball I'm guessing. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

5 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

It's not grades with Akot as he left Arizona in good academic standing. However, because he supposedly stayed there through the spring semester I wouldn't count on him being eligible this season.