Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THEUniversityofNevada

Images from an Asteroid

I love this kind of stuff. Crazy to think that in my lifetime we actually have a legitimate plan to get to Mars and become a space traveling multi planet species. 

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

The circumference of that thing is about a mile.  Has about a 1 in 2700 chance of striking earth 150 years from now.

450px-Animation_of_101955_Bennu_orbit_ar

Depending on what happens when it passes by in the year 2135, it could set up a collision for 2175 or 2195.  

You would think a hundred years from now we could strap some rockets on that thing as it passes by and blast it somewhere off course.

1 hour ago, bsu_alum9 said:

The circumference of that thing is about a mile.  Has about a 1 in 2700 chance of striking earth 150 years from now.

450px-Animation_of_101955_Bennu_orbit_ar

Depending on what happens when it passes by in the year 2135, it could set up a collision for 2175 or 2195.  

You would think a hundred years from now we could strap some rockets on that thing as it passes by and blast it somewhere off course.

It's really cool thinking about the forces in play that make it do the little loop.

2 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

4744_Bennu_Hires.gif

Such a cool gif! I imagine these rock piles have to have some kind of valuable minerals. Imagine the first company that figures out how to mine these and profit from it. The world's first multi-trillionaire...unless Lizzy Warren gets to them first. :BananaComputer:

Also, even if they don't contain any valuable minerals, they recently proved they can make concrete in space. These things would make a great source of building material that you don't have to life out of Earth or the Moon's gravity well.

4 hours ago, THEUniversityofNevada said:

Such a cool gif! I imagine these rock piles have to have some kind of valuable minerals. Imagine the first company that figures out how to mine these and profit from it. The world's first multi-trillionaire...unless Lizzy Warren gets to them first. :BananaComputer:

Also, even if they don't contain any valuable minerals, they recently proved they can make concrete in space. These things would make a great source of building material that you don't have to life out of Earth or the Moon's gravity well.

Reminds me of what my golf ball looked like after playing from the rocks and scrub at Sierra Sage.

12 hours ago, ridgeview2 said:

I love this kind of stuff. Crazy to think that in my lifetime we actually have a legitimate plan to get to Mars and become a space traveling multi planet species. 

There’s still a lot of problems that need to be resolved before we send man anywhere. The surface radiation on Mars can be quite high, and even in your spaceship in space, radiation will pass right through to you. Also, the lack of gravity causes permanent damage even for space station astronauts. 

kat.jpg

16 hours ago, THEUniversityofNevada said:

I'm not sure about valuable materials. I read somewhere that the density of this thing was estimated to be about the same as water, leading some to speculate that it's has a rubble core, instead of a solid core. I think they're going to test it for a more accurate density next summer.

I also read that they believe it was created as the result of a collision between two protoplanets. If that's the case, it would depend on what part of the protoplanets the asteroid's material came from. If it came from the crust area, it would have about the same amount of precious metals as our own crust would have, but if the materials originated from the core area of the protoplanets then it would be very rich in precious metals.

10 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

There’s still a lot of problems that need to be resolved before we send man anywhere. The surface radiation on Mars can be quite high, and even in your spaceship in space, radiation will pass right through to you. Also, the lack of gravity causes permanent damage even for space station astronauts. 

You're not wrong... (hang on a second, I just verped) There were a lot of things 14th century explorers needed to figure out when learning to cross the oceans as well. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.