Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

calspartan

Most heated rivalry in the MWC

Rivalries are such only when they are competitive. If there is big disparity in wins and losses or a recent 20 year domination, it is only a rivalry for the team on the losing end. Otherwise it is a series. Just because you play a game every year does not make it a rivalry.

With the 2011 expansion of the MW many of the old CCAA/PCAA/Big West rivalries were rekindled. San Jose - SDSU, Fresno - SDSU, USU -Wyoming, and USU  - CSU are good examples. These rivalries went on hiatus when SDSU jumped to the WAC then MW and USU was left behind in conference realignments.

So, a good rivalry requires competitiveness, a trophy sure helps, and some regional blood (especially when they are recruiting the same players).

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

5 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

Rivalries are such only when they are competitive. If there is big disparity in wins and losses or a recent 20 year domination, it is only a rivalry for the team on the losing end. Otherwise it is a series. Just because you play a game every year does not make it a rivalry.

With the 2011 expansion of the MW many of the old CCAA/PCAA/Big West rivalries were rekindled. San Jose - SDSU, Fresno - SDSU, USU -Wyoming, and USU  - CSU are good examples. These rivalries went on hiatus when SDSU jumped to the WAC then MW and USU was left behind in conference realignments.

So, a good rivalry requires competitiveness, a trophy sure helps, and some regional blood (especially when they are recruiting the same players).

For me the best thing about joining the MWC (other than, you know, watching the slow painful death of Aggie athletics without it) was the renewal of the series with Colorado State and Wyoming.  Those are already developing into really fun rivalries.  I don't think either of them will ever reach the level of the CSU - Wyoming rivalry, but they're still great.  I think it's based on being very similar institutions; land grant universities in the same region.  We tend to attract the same type of students.  One of the best things about them has been (so far) the good natured quality of the rivalries.  I particularly love having the Wyoming folks in Logan.  They always show up in good numbers, and win or lose, there are usually handshakes and hugs all around after the game.  Good people.

I love this conference.