Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

calspartan

Most heated rivalry in the MWC

10 hours ago, NoMWCCG4UNRLOL said:

Must be pretty depressing to see your rival out grow you. I think Idaho will enjoy the rivalry with Idaho State I don’t see them blowing past you any time soon

Navy pilots are better than Air Force pilots.  There, I said it. 

9 hours ago, NoMWCCG4UNRLOL said:

Wrong 

False.  Naval pilots are superior.  I find it depressing that our naval forces have better pilots than our Air Force.  Unfortunately, the Air Force's strategic plan for air superiority is basically outdated by the introduction of drones, so many of AF pilots now essentially play video games instead of getting into the action.  With respect to football, yeah, Air Force has a cute, middling football program with a novel offense and I have to support them out of patriotism, but the Midshipmen made AFA bite the pillow while they went in dry this year - yet another embarrassment.  Army is probably going to spread your cheeks on a national stage and if the Coast Guard had a team, they'd probably kick the shit out of you too.  Then, in the arena of the MWC board, we get you, a Chair Force paper-pusher at best, demonstrating a negative obsession with a team you never play while you kick us while we're down.  Do us all a favor, act like a goddamn military man and nut up because your 34 posts are a case study in noob ignorance.  

19 minutes ago, GoCoAztec said:

A bit harsh for a poster who is a guest on this board?  

Absolutely harsh.  I intentionally took it that far to make a point.  I don't even believe most of what I wrote, but I needed to underscore a basic rule - don't kick me when I'm down and hungover.  

I think the one thing that everyone missed about the drop down is the psychology of it.  Many of these players signed on to play FBS and they evidently feel that middle tier FCS teams don't merit playing full speed.  They just won't +++++ing show up for these trap games.  They think they're too good for some of these Big Sky teams when, in fact, the Big Sky has some really solid programs.  Put them against EWU and they play like champs.  Give them a solid FBS program like Wyoming and they play well.  Line them up against the #4 team in FCS and they decide to make a game out of it.  Give them shitty Northern Colorado or half-shitty Portland State and they don't even try.

Don't even get me started about our Coach starting his son at QB.  

37 minutes ago, VandalPride97 said:

Absolutely harsh.  I intentionally took it that far to make a point.  I don't even believe most of what I wrote, but I needed to underscore a basic rule - don't kick me when I'm down and hungover.  

I think the one thing that everyone missed about the drop down is the psychology of it.  Many of these players signed on to play FBS and they evidently feel that middle tier FCS teams don't merit playing full speed.  They just won't +++++ing show up for these trap games.  They think they're too good for some of these Big Sky teams when, in fact, the Big Sky has some really solid programs.  Put them against EWU and they play like champs.  Give them a solid FBS program like Wyoming and they play well.  Line them up against the #4 team in FCS and they decide to make a game out of it.  Give them shitty Northern Colorado or half-shitty Portland State and they don't even try.

Don't even get me started about our Coach starting his son at QB.  

I think it sucks that Idaho had to drop down but it wouldn’t be so bad if the Big Sky were the premier FCS conference it could be instead of a bloated 13-member mess.  NoDak took a lot of heat about his “Great Northern” FBS football conference fantasy, but if Fullerton had stayed focused on linking the Idaho and Montana schools with the Dakota schools he might have created an FCS superconference.  Instead he stupidly went south and added all of the Great West football programs to ensure the death of WAC football.

If I could rewrite history Fullerton would have worked with Benson on membership trades to save what was left of the old WAC as an FCS counterpart league.  The outcome might have looked something like this:

BSC - EWU, Idaho, Idaho State, Montana, Montana State, North Dakota, North Dakota State, South Dakota, South Dakota State

WAC - Portland State, Sacramento State, Weber State, Southern Utah, Northern Arizona, Northern Colorado, NMSU, Seattle (non-football), Denver (non-football), UCD (football only), Cal Poly (football only)

Two conferences, each with nine football members and nine Olympic sports members, with regional rivalries and with no reliance on D-II move-ups.

1 hour ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

I think it sucks that Idaho had to drop down but it wouldn’t be so bad if the Big Sky were the premier FCS conference it could be instead of a bloated 13-member mess.  NoDak took a lot of heat about his “Great Northern” FBS football conference fantasy, but if Fullerton had stayed focused on linking the Idaho and Montana schools with the Dakota schools he might have created an FCS superconference.  Instead he stupidly went south and added all of the Great West football programs to ensure the death of WAC football.

If I could rewrite history Fullerton would have worked with Benson on membership trades to save what was left of the old WAC as an FCS counterpart league.  The outcome might have looked something like this:

BSC - EWU, Idaho, Idaho State, Montana, Montana State, North Dakota, North Dakota State, South Dakota, South Dakota State

WAC - Portland State, Sacramento State, Weber State, Southern Utah, Northern Arizona, Northern Colorado, NMSU, Seattle (non-football), Denver (non-football), UCD (football only), Cal Poly (football only)

Two conferences, each with nine football members and nine Olympic sports members, with regional rivalries and with no reliance on D-II move-ups.

Those are some good points, but I think the the Big Sky is actually better than you think.  There's something like 4-5 teams in the top 25 and 3 in the top 10.  A few of the teams could probably be decent mid-majors. 

2 hours ago, VandalPride97 said:

Those are some good points, but I think the the Big Sky is actually better than you think.  There's something like 4-5 teams in the top 25 and 3 in the top 10.  A few of the teams could probably be decent mid-majors. 

I agree that the Big Sky absolutely has some of the best FCS programs.  My reference to the conference being a “bloated mess” was narrowly based on it being oversized with 13 members and including some perennial bottom-feeders like Northern Colorado.  A slimmed-down Big Sky that included the cream of the current MVFC would be a powerhouse by comparison and arguably better than the MAC.

10 hours ago, VandalPride97 said:

False.  Naval pilots are superior.  I find it depressing that our naval forces have better pilots than our Air Force.  Unfortunately, the Air Force's strategic plan for air superiority is basically outdated by the introduction of drones, so many of AF pilots now essentially play video games instead of getting into the action.  With respect to football, yeah, Air Force has a cute, middling football program with a novel offense and I have to support them out of patriotism, but the Midshipmen made AFA bite the pillow while they went in dry this year - yet another embarrassment.  Army is probably going to spread your cheeks on a national stage and if the Coast Guard had a team, they'd probably kick the shit out of you too.  Then, in the arena of the MWC board, we get you, a Chair Force paper-pusher at best, demonstrating a negative obsession with a team you never play while you kick us while we're down.  Do us all a favor, act like a goddamn military man and nut up because your 34 posts are a case study in noob ignorance.  

Lol

10 hours ago, GoCoAztec said:

A bit harsh for a poster who is a guest on this board?  

Guest my ass....if youre willing to post here and take a poke at someone ...get your lube cause you're getting initiated. 

And who the f**k are you?  (Sock)

Sorry, I forgot my manners. Welcome to the board. Your opinions and participation are valued and encouraged. Hope you enjoy your experience and please..be sure to tell all your friends . We have a generous happy hour menu on Tuesday's and the ever popular ...Trivia Night on Thursdays.

12 hours ago, VandalPride97 said:

Great rant.  However, Air Force is the default team that populates when you create an account due to being first alphabetically.  From his posting history, this poster is clearly not an AFA fan.  He just never selected a team.

Still, great rant.

@mugtang, @renoskier, @thelawlorfaithful, @SilverandBlue, the series is lopsided and owned by UNR (21 to 9), but if we can have a few more games like yesterday's. And SJSU winning, hopefully, the next few, I like this to become a rivalry with a trophy. The silver chip game. Something like the bit coin.

Image result for bit coin logo silver

12 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Great rant.  However, Air Force is the default team that populates when you create an account due to being first alphabetically.  From his posting history, this poster is clearly not an AFA fan.  He just never selected a team.

Still, great rant.

Are, are, are you telling me @Bob is a lie?

17 hours ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

Sorry, I forgot my manners. Welcome to the board. Your opinions and participation are valued and encouraged. Hope you enjoy your experience and please..be sure to tell all your friends . We have a generous happy hour menu on Tuesday's and the ever popular ...Trivia Night on Thursdays.

Don't forget the warm welcome extended by visitors from downtrodden FCS teams...

On 10/9/2019 at 10:28 AM, bsu_alum9 said:

Oregon State vs. Oregon (Civil War) and California vs. Stanford (The Big Game) are both older.

Someone may have brought this up already, but Utah State - University of Utah is older than The Civil War.

The Big Game:  First game March 19, 1892, 121 games played.

The Battle of the Brothers (Utah State - University of Utah): First game Nov 25, 1892, 112 games played.

The Civil War:  First game Nov 3, 1894, 122 games played.

It really is a shame that Utah elected to end one of the longest running rivalries in college football.

For the record, Wyoming - CSU is the most heated, most tradition filled rivalry in the conference.  No question.