Joe from WY

Trump Pulls Troops out of Syria: It happened last night

I'm sure we'll hear now from the pro-impeachment crowd how this is terrible and how we should be fighting wars around the world.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 3

I fail to see any problem with this. Great move IMO.

• Like 2

He met with Kim Jong Un, Supreme Leader of DPRK and improved relations.

He didn't fall for many of Iran's provocations, if he wanted he could easily start a war.

He is now trying to pull out of Syria and bring soldiers home.

He has done a lot compared to other warmongering presidents, he is the exactly opposite. He always was against war even during his presidential campaign.  After all, remember that in his campaign he supported that the US should stop being the world police and he is acting on it.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

He did WHAT???

DisastrousDarkEland-max-1mb.gif

No bullshit, my aunt, who is a rich liberal in Pasadena, just went on the warpath on me on Facebook for posting an article about this and concluding it was good. She was a hippie in the 60s, but apparently not so much anymore.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I'm all for getting our troops out of being deployed all over the world. My one concern in this remains the same as it was when it was announced almost a year ago... what effects it may have on the Kurds in the region. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, retrofade said:

I'm all for getting our troops out of being deployed all over the world. My one concern in this remains the same as it was when it was announced almost a year ago... what effects it may have on the Kurds in the region. 

If they're smart, they'll cut a deal with the legitimate Assad government to re-integrate themselves back into the Syrian state. They should get some concessions like teaching Kurdish in schools and such, but they really need to be back as part of the Syrian gov't, or else they'll be at the whim of Turkey and their roving bands of jihadis like what happened in Afrin. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

No bullshit, my aunt, who is a rich liberal in Pasadena, just went on the warpath on me on Facebook for posting an article about this and concluding it was good. She was a hippie in the 60s, but apparently not so much anymore.

If it were a Dem president, your aunt would be banging the drum going on about a Nobel Peace Prize for whomever did it....you know, teams and shit. 

• Like 2

If the Kurds had called the New York times fake news and told trump he's a victim, we'd have sent more troops.

• Haha 3

This was bound to happen at some point.

Erdogan musta provided dirt on Hunter Biden.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

I don’t think this will end well for our interests.  I hope it does.  I hope there is some negotiated way out.  I think the Kurds will put up a good fight.

1 minute ago, 415hawaiiboy said:

I don’t think this will end well for our interests.  I hope it does.  I hope there is some negotiated way out.  I think the Kurds will put up a good fight.

Do tell what interest we have in Syria.

• Like 1

Just now, 415hawaiiboy said:

When has our interference in the region ever ended well?  The US has played a large role in the instability there.

• Like 3

My only problem is we’re leaving the Kurds to fend for themselves.  They’ve been one of our most staunch allies in the region.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, 415hawaiiboy said:

Other than our pissing match with Iran, we have no interests in Syria, in fact, they were long US allies in several conflicts in the region...providing support in Gulf War I, and letting us utilize their intelligence agencies and prisons for renditions in Gulf War II. Sure, they are friends with people we don't like in the area, but, when has that stopped us from working with unworthy governments before?

While the Kurds do love Americans, we owe them nothing, and we are merely using them as a set of pawns, rather than utilizing them as allies...this isn't a Trump thing either, it started in the previous administration. 

• Like 3

I like it.  There are adults that have never seen America not the middle east.  It's been too long.

Kudos to Trump.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, mugtang said:

My only problem is we’re leaving the Kurds to fend for themselves.  They’ve been one of our most staunch allies in the region.  

They are pro-American, but they really offer us nothing, unless you want to count the wheat farms of NE Syria and a stunted set of oil fields. 

Reality is, once we've started to really gain energy independence, all of these groups are more or less expendable...not that there's really anything different that's happened in the last 3/4 century. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

Other than our pissing match with Iran, we have no interests in Syria, in fact, they were long US allies in several conflicts in the region...providing support in Gulf War I, and letting us utilize their intelligence agencies and prisons for renditions in Gulf War II. Sure, they are friends with people we don't like in the area, but, when has that stopped us from working with unworthy governments before?

While the Kurds do love Americans, we owe them nothing, and we are merely using them as a set of pawns, rather than utilizing them as allies...this isn't a Trump thing either, it started in the previous administration. 

I agree with you that NE Syria is not valuable for the US, it is definitely not in our interests for destabilization and the return of ISIS to the area or a greater Turk-Kurd conflict.  Would ISIS be the Kurds, Syrians, Iraqis, Turks problem, most likely yes.  Would a greater Turk-Kurd conflict be our problem, yes. 

I’m sympathetic towards the Kurds.  A Kurdistan would be a red line for Turkey, and we have more national interests in Turkey.  

I also see small US presence as a stabilizing force.  Logistics and nation building.  Hate to see it potentially all come crashing down.  

If some sparring is needed to get a negotiated settlement, ok.  If this goes deeper, not ok.  Morally, especially if Turks have firepower superiority using American technology, we shouldn’t feel good about that.  

7 minutes ago, 415hawaiiboy said:

I agree with you that NE Syria is not valuable for the US, it is definitely not in our interests for destabilization and the return of ISIS to the area or a greater Turk-Kurd conflict.  Would ISIS be the Kurds, Syrians, Iraqis, Turks problem, most likely yes.  Would a greater Turk-Kurd conflict be our problem, yes. 

I’m sympathetic towards the Kurds.  A Kurdistan would be a red line for Turkey, and we have more national interests in Turkey.  

I also see small US presence as a stabilizing force.  Logistics and nation building.  Hate to see it potentially all come crashing down.  

If some sparring is needed to get a negotiated settlement, ok.  If this goes deeper, not ok.  Morally, especially if Turks have firepower superiority using American technology, we shouldn’t feel good about that.  

What do we need to stabilize in NE Syria? Let the Syrians handle their own issues, and stay out of a potential agreement between the legitimate Syrian gov't and the Kurdish separatists. If we let the Syrian gov't take back that part of the country, they'll be a lot more forgiving than the Turks will with their jihadi "partners". 

• Like 1

As bad as it is in some people's minds, it's a fairly rational decision to choose the Turks over the Kurds...and I say that as someone who very much despises Erdogan and what he's done in Turkey. 

Turkey was getting closer and closer to the Russian orbit, and instead of fully taking the Kurdish side and alienating the Turks completely, we instead chose to bring the Turks back to us, and "throwing them a bone".

Hopefully this thaws relations a bit with the Turks. 

• Like 1