Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4UNLV

Las Vegas A's?

11 hours ago, NVGiant said:

Phoenix would be fine for baseball if the Dbacks weren't so terribly mismanaged.

That said, if I was an owner I would at least look at the Dbacks' struggles seriously before I consider moving a franchise to Vegas. Vegas' market is half the size of Phoenix, has many of the same market warts, and has more summer competition for entertainment dollars. I just think baseball would be doomed to fail.

I feel the same way, I think MLB baseball is a terrible fit in Vegas. The Aviators are drawing well, but that’s because it has cheap tickets and it’s not on the strip, so it’s great for locals. But I don’t think you’re going to get locals out to the strip at MLB prices 81 times a year. 

I think MLB, the NBA, and MLS need to relax with the Vegas talk. I think they have a good balance right now with VGK and the Raiders; the other leagues need to see how both franchises do over the next few years in terms of fan support before they start thinking about expanding or relocating here.  

18 hours ago, NVGiant said:

Portland is the best remaining untapped MLB market. They have some of the best fans in the NBA, and would support Major League baseball. They supported the AAA team more than Vegas has, too. They just didn't have the support to build a new AAA stadium when they renovated the downtown stadium for the Timbers.

Recently a Portland weekly newspaper wrote a fairly exhaustive breakdown of the current efforts by Portland folks to lure an MLB team to their city

https://www.portlandmercury.com/sports/2019/09/26/27204523/can-the-people-wanting-to-bring-major-league-baseball-to-portland-succeed-where-others-have-failed

The article is dated September 26, 2019

31 minutes ago, Bruininthebay said:

Recently a Portland weekly newspaper wrote a fairly exhaustive breakdown of the current efforts by Portland folks to lure an MLB team to their city

https://www.portlandmercury.com/sports/2019/09/26/27204523/can-the-people-wanting-to-bring-major-league-baseball-to-portland-succeed-where-others-have-failed

The article is dated September 26, 2019

I hadn't read that yet. Thanks. The Portland baseball group has been a big story up here for a while now. And their efforts have gone beyond just Portland. They've been barnstorming the state trying to drum up support. There is a ton of momentum for it. The stadium site they are talking about is perfect, too. Close to the Willamette River in a port area that is all but abandoned. 

I think it happens over the next couple of years. Baseball needs to figure what the A's and Rays are going to do. Once they're settled, then baseball will get serious about expansion. And I think Portland is the frontrunner for expansion.

20 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

In a similar vein, I think Vancouver could be a good MLB town. Or Nashville.

Nashville has supported any pro team that has come to town.  It might be a tough sell as we just built a new AAA field.  At the same time, we do have water colors, skin it must be true.

https://ballparkdigest.com/2019/10/01/potential-nashville-mlb-ballpark-renderings-released/

On 10/7/2019 at 8:27 AM, RogueStout said:

The A’s have been trying to leave Oakland for at least 30 years.

No, you are wrong!!  They have been trying to get a stadium built in the bay area(Fremont, San Jose, and Oakland) for the last 10 years but the local and state politicians along with the Giants have made it extremely hard!!  I've been an A's fan for 50 yrs so I know whats been going on!  Quit popping off about shit you know nothing about!!

"Frankly my dear..I don't give a damn"!

2 hours ago, NVGiant said:

I hadn't read that yet. Thanks. The Portland baseball group has been a big story up here for a while now. And their efforts have gone beyond just Portland. They've been barnstorming the state trying to drum up support. There is a ton of momentum for it. The stadium site they are talking about is perfect, too. Close to the Willamette River in a port area that is all but abandoned. 

I think it happens over the next couple of years. Baseball needs to figure what the A's and Rays are going to do. Once they're settled, then baseball will get serious about expansion. And I think Portland is the frontrunner for expansion.

Man, I hope they would relocate a team there and not expand the league.  The talent is already watered down enough.  I think contraction would be better than expansion for the quality of the game

4 minutes ago, TheDogSnake said:

No, you are wrong!!  They have been trying to get a stadium built in the bay area(Fremont, San Jose, and Oakland) for the last 10 years but the local and state politicians along with the Giants have made it extremely hard!!  I've been an A's fan for 50 yrs so I know whats been going on!  Quit popping off about shit you know nothing about!!

I've been hearing A's trying to move to Sacto for 30 years man. Cry all you want I don't care. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

8 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

Man, I hope they would relocate a team there and not expand the league.  The talent is already watered down enough.  I think contraction would be better than expansion for the quality of the game

They should relocate the Rays up there. Or just have them go to Montreal full time and then move the Marlins up to Portland. Major League Baseball in Florida doesn't work outside of Spring Training.

22 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

That the league is watered down is a myth.  In 1960 there were 16 teams and 470 players (40 foreign players, mostly Cuba) and a US population of 180 million.  This year we have 30 teams and 882 players (251 foreign players from 20 different countries) and a US population of 329 million. Even if one subscribes to the idea that fewer American kids are playing baseball these days, the expanding pool of talent worldwide more than makes up for it.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

11 minutes ago, RSF said:

That the league is watered down is a myth.  In 1960 there were 16 teams and 470 players (40 foreign players, mostly Cuba) and a US population of 180 million.  This year we have 30 teams and 882 players (251 foreign players from 20 different countries) and a US population of 329 million. Even if one subscribes to the idea that fewer American kids are playing baseball these days, the expanding pool of talent worldwide more than makes up for it.

Have you seen some of the teams this year?  Baseball needs a hard salary cap and no expansion.  

1 hour ago, RogueStout said:

I've been hearing A's trying to move to Sacto for 30 years man. Cry all you want I don't care. 

LOL!  "Just the facts Ma'am!"

"Frankly my dear..I don't give a damn"!

10 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

Have you seen some of the teams this year?  Baseball needs a hard salary cap and no expansion.  

A hard salary cap? If they introduce a salary floor of at least 75% of the cap, sure. If not? Hell no. If they don’t want to do a floor then they need to remove the luxury tax completely.

17 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

A hard salary cap? If they introduce a salary floor of at least 75% of the cap, sure. If not? Hell no. If they don’t want to do a floor then they need to remove the luxury tax completely.

I'm good with a floor too.  I hate that some of the teams are in it to just make money and put out a shitty product.  

11 hours ago, tailingpermit said:

Do any of our posters live in or near Alemeda County? I read the ESPN article but it really didn't go into much detail.

Why would the city of Oakland try to stand in the way of the sale of Alemeda's share of the stadium to the A's?

On 10/7/2019 at 10:50 AM, RogueStout said:

I don't really follow MLB politics. What's the reasoning behind the D-Backs wanting to leave Arizona? That stadium can't be that bad can it? 

Agreed. They just built the damn thing. Same thing with the Rangers and their new ball park 

8 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Do any of our posters live in or near Alemeda County? I read the ESPN article but it really didn't go into much detail.

Why would the city of Oakland try to stand in the way of the sale of Alemeda's share of the stadium to the A's?

I think it has to do with City of  Oakland wants (at least some of)  that prime land to build "affordable" housing. Which that area really needs. The lot is right by a major highway and a BaRT station...... huge potential.

cerified_Subarus.jpg