Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I am Ram

The Houston Rockets got themselves into some big doo-doo

So let me get this straight...

They cancelled, or at least threatened to cancel, the All-Star Game in Charlotte a couple years ago because of the "bathroom bill"....which was apparently some awful horrible thing. But yet, China goes and oppresses and murders millions of Uighurs and sells their body parts, not to mention their treatment of other ethnic groups and "dissidents", and the league is out apologizing to them and holding games there?

Yeah. Makes me happy I've been done with that league for 10 years. What a bunch of hypocritical, virtue-signaling and kowtowing shitheads.

20 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

They cancelled, or at least threatened to cancel, the All-Star Game in Charlotte a couple years ago because of the "bathroom bill"....which was apparently some awful horrible thing. But yet, China goes and oppresses and murders millions of Uighurs and sells their body parts, not to mention their treatment of other ethnic groups and "dissidents", and the league is out apologizing to them and holding games there?

Yeah. Makes me happy I've been done with that league for 10 years. What a bunch of hypocritical, virtue-signaling and kowtowing shitheads.

Everyone's always willing to let go of their "principles" once big money gets involved. The ChiComs spend it big on the NBA, the bathroom crowd...not so much.

1 hour ago, Joe from WY said:

No, dude. The owner of the nets said 1.4 billion Chinese are united on territorial integrity. The Uighurs love being sent to camps to forget they are Muslim. Didn't you know that?

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

53 minutes ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

Everyone's always willing to let go of their "principles" once big money gets involved. The ChiComs spend it big on the NBA, the bathroom crowd...not so much.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

7 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Because it’s bullshit? Don’t build a brand around social justice if you aren’t actually for social justice. 

They may have misstepped this time but overall, whatever the NBA has been doing has been working like a charm.

The league's world-wide popularity has been growing tremendously.

10 minutes ago, renoskier said:

They may have misstepped this time but overall, whatever the NBA has been doing has been working like a charm.

At what point is it enough, though? The movie industry and tech industry are terrified of pissing off China because of the market potential. Now, possibly the NBA. When is one of these industries going to tell China to eff off when they actively work to silence opposition to their state policies abroad? 

Again, this is where it would be great if we had a competent president to step up and play the bad guy. Give the NBA cover to tell China that they would love to continue to ignore worldwide oppression and civil rights violation through active suppression of dissent, but these gosh derned politicians are pressuring them to let these uppity Americans say what they want. 

You wanna play? The NBA is in America. Play by America's rules. You don't want that? Invade America, or take the NBA to China. Otherwise, eff off. 

Just my opinion. 

4 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

At what point is it enough, though? The movie industry and tech industry are terrified of pissing off China because of the market potential. Now, possibly the NBA. When is one of these industries going to tell China to eff off when they actively work to silence opposition to their state policies abroad? 

Again, this is where it would be great if we had a competent president to step up and play the bad guy. Give the NBA cover to tell China that they would love to continue to ignore worldwide oppression and civil rights violation through active suppression of dissent, but these gosh derned politicians are pressuring them to let these uppity Americans say what they want. 

You wanna play? The NBA is in America. Play by America's rules. You don't want that? Invade America, or take the NBA to China. Otherwise, eff off. 

Just my opinion. 

I definitely wish Adam Silver and the NBA would stand up and tell China to phuck off. And actually believe it could also be a winning move in the long run.

Already, millions of mostly younger Chinese love basketball and the NBA. What's going to happen if China censors the league? IMO, millions of Chinese are going to get pissed off. It could be just one more thorn in the side of the "party" and that would be a good thing.

2 minutes ago, renoskier said:

I definitely wish Adam Silver and the NBA would stand up and tell China to phuck off. And actually believe it could also be a winning move in the long run.

Already, millions of mostly younger Chinese love basketball and the NBA. What's going to happen if China censors the league? IMO, millions of Chinese are going to get pissed off. It could be just one more thorn in the side of the "party" and that would be a good thing.

Exactly. i've read and listened to a number of pieces of coverage on this issue the last couple days, and even in the world of sports media they're calling this "complicated" and focusing on the potential impact on the NBA in terms of money. It seems pretty simple to me, though. Cowards. 

4 minutes ago, Lester_in_reno said:

if NBA leadership DID tell the Chinese government  to F off it might help and not hurt their LONG-TERM  standing in China.

That's what I think also.

What happens when you tell folks they can't have something?

29 minutes ago, renoskier said:

What does their word-wide popularity have to do with them being hypocrites? 

15 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Well he did yesterday in a very mild and diplomatic way but it was enough for the state TV of China to pull all NBA games and it is reviewing their relationship with the NBA. All because Adam Silver said the NBA supports freedom of speech of its employees.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/08/media/nba-adam-silver/index.html

Obviously it wasn't a big F U from Adam siler but better than nothing and in corporate speak kinda was. It was enough to really piss china off.

10 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Mostly, but eventually they opt for "or else". E.g.: Tienanmen Square...Hong Kong?

Death by a thousand cuts, just stupid little things adding up.

I hope so. But considering Hong Kong is happening, the results of Tienanman aren’t all that inspiring. China is a much bigger, slightly less badder wolf than they were 30 years ago. 

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.