Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I am Ram

The Houston Rockets got themselves into some big doo-doo

1 hour ago, bsu_alum9 said:

People upset that the NBA is not standing up against China curbing protests.

Same people happy to see Colin Kaepernick not have a job because he peacefully protested.

Dude should just pursue a baseball career. He was nails at Pitman High and had a few offers IIRC. 

15 hours ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

Dude should just pursue a baseball career. He was nails at Pitman High and had a few offers IIRC. 

Drafted by the Cubs, wasn't he?

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

He’s an iconic millionaire that’s been out of baseball for a decade. I doubt riding the bus in Iowa while getting shelled by AA hitters is what he wants to do in his life.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

4 minutes ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

I have no idea. I know he got quite a few scholarship options for baseball, but turned them down for UNR. 

I think that if Tim Tebow can salvage a AAA career, so can Kaperslap. Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for him.

I dunno man. I've been to enough minor league baseball towns to know that the crowds there, even in blue states, might be slim on folks who are down with his message. Might be tough getting booed every night by a few thousand people for very little pay.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

On 10/9/2019 at 9:23 AM, Akkula said:

This certainly debunks the talking point that "Freedom and Democracy" are somehow inseparably linked to "Capitalism."  It appears that authoritarian China is very good at capitalism without needing to worry about "Freedom and Democracy."  Market Authoritarianism seems to work pretty well for the Chinese.

Yes, Elizabeth Warren is taking detailed notes on how to do it.  

Update: NBA players from the Nets and Lakers are mad at Silver. Because he didn’t take a stronger stance against China? No silly, of course not. They were mad that they had to answer questions from Chinese reporters before Silver did, that they were “placed in the middle of this” and then played the whataboutism game saying a player would be disciplined for what Morey did.

Gutless punks, all of them. 

5 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Update: NBA players from the Nets and Lakers are mad at Silver. Because he didn’t take a stronger stance against China? No silly, of course not. They were mad that they had to answer questions from Chinese reporters before Silver did, that they were “placed in the middle of this” and then played the whataboutism game saying a player would be disciplined for what Morey did.

The over-the-top chumminess with the Chinese is disturbing. I get they're a big market, but organizations can have principles. 

10 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

LeBron whining about it sounded bad to me. Him saying Morey was misinformed on the situation in regards to putting people's jobs on the line.  Do you want to support people speaking out about injustice or not LeBron?  Or just when it doesn't affect your pocketbook or make you answer questions you don't want to answer because of your business dealings?

I don't want to hear any other "woke" bullshit from LeBron if he can't even speak out against a country that has a +++++ing concentration camp going on right now because he is afraid of losing access to China for business

3 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

LeBron whining about it sounded bad to me. Him saying Morey was misinformed on the situation in regards to putting people's jobs on the line.  Do you want to support people speaking out about injustice or not LeBron?  Or just when it doesn't affect your pocketbook or make you answer questions you don't want to answer because of your business dealings?

I don't want to hear any other "woke" bullshit from LeBron if he can't even speak out against a country that has a +++++ing concentration camp going on right now because he is afraid of losing access to China for business

It’s no coincidence that he’s taking this stance while he and Nike are launching a new shoe over there. 

So I guess they won’t be talking about this whole situation on the next episode of The Shop. 

Can’t wait to see some strong takes on ESPN about this! Wait.... never mind, Disney doesn’t want to risk having the marvel movies kept out of Chinese movie theaters. 

2 hours ago, retrofade said:

It’s no coincidence that he’s taking this stance while he and Nike are launching a new shoe over there. 

What a sleaze, a shill, and a sell-out. 

Let's whine about the problems in the US (and rightfully, there are some), all while saying it's ok for the Chinese to harvest Uighur body parts and put them in camps...not to mention the ChiCom's shenanigans in Hong Kong. Strange what people do and how they change their tones when money is involved. 

1 hour ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

What a sleaze, a shill, and a sell-out. 

Let's whine about the problems in the US (and rightfully, there are some), all while saying it's ok for the Chinese to harvest Uighur body parts and put them in camps...not to mention the ChiCom's shenanigans in Hong Kong. Strange what people do and how they change their tones when money is involved. 

You can never know 100% what someone is thinking, and maybe LeBron really cares about the problems in the US because he has a more first hand experience with them, but his actions in the US look more businesslike to me now as well.  If being "woke" wasn't the in thing to do right now, would he still speak out?  If speaking out didn't enhance his profile more and make him more likable, would he do it?  If there would be backlash in the US would he do it?  

Enes Kanter is thoroughly unimpressed...

He even skipped out on playing in Toronto last year because of concerns over Turkey potentially attempting to kidnap him like they wanted Mike Flynn to do with that cleric. Oh, and Kanter happens to be a follower of that cleric's movement within Islam. Turkey has cancelled his passport, and he's effectively a man without a country right now... he's not expected to gain US Citizenship until 2021, and the FBI even installed a "panic button" for him in his home when he played for Portland last season. 

This is someone who understand brutal regimes, and one has singled him out as a target to silence... but y'know, LeBron's business deals might have taken a hit last week. 

Did anyone actually listen to LeBron's full reply to the question?

First of all, I'm amazed he didn't simply brush it off. However, the main point he was making was that folks should think of the consequences before posting anything on social media. I'm sure we can all agree that is good advice. 

Could everyone please stop putting an  adjective in front of the word "Justice"? 

Justice is an absolute. It can only be served, denied, or delayed. It's not social, economic, climate or whatever other community organizing BS was pumped into your brainwashed skull at city state u.

#wordsmeanthings

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

6 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Did anyone actually listen to LeBron's full reply to the question?

First of all, I'm amazed he didn't simply brush it off. However, the main point he was making was that folks should think of the consequences before posting anything on social media. I'm sure we can all agree that is good advice. 

That's exactly the problem though.  He was upset because it put him and other players in an awkward position and people's jobs could possibly be put on the line.  I'm so sorry that highly paid NBA players had to potentially answer tough questions.  Morey tweeted out something he believed in.  The NBA and the NBA players could speak out about China as well if they wanted to.  The NBA and those players are scared to lose potential money in China though.  Morey wasn't misinformed or uneducated about the situation like Lebron said.  He probably didn't think it would cause this big of a stir, but he should be able to show support for who he wants to.  This just highlights again how American companies put profits before human life in China.  

1 minute ago, Wyobraska said:

That's exactly the problem though.  He was upset because it put him and other players in an awkward position and people's jobs could possibly be put on the line.  I'm so sorry that highly paid NBA players had to potentially answer tough questions.  Morey tweeted out something he believed in.  The NBA and the NBA players could speak out about China as well if they wanted to.  The NBA and those players are scared to lose potential money in China though.  Morey wasn't misinformed or uneducated about the situation like Lebron said.  He probably didn't think it would cause this big of a stir, but he should be able to show support for who he wants to.  This just highlights again how American companies put profits before human life in China.  

The NBA, and the players look to profit substantially in China.  That is a huge lucrative market.  They would be stupid to squander that.  As far as the HK protests go - at times they have gone to far,  shutting down a airport is not okay.   When your protest infringes upon others, then it is not  peaceful anymore.  HK is not going to get some special democracy or be their own country.  If they think they will then they are going to set themselves up for misery.  If their smart about it they can still have a lot of freedoms that rest of people in China don't get and if they don't abuse those freedoms, then they could become more widespread.  

6 minutes ago, pokerider said:

The NBA, and the players look to profit substantially in China.  That is a huge lucrative market.  They would be stupid to squander that.  As far as the HK protests go - at times they have gone to far,  shutting down a airport is not okay.   When your protest infringes upon others, then it is not  peaceful anymore.  HK is not going to get some special democracy or be their own country.  If they think they will then they are going to set themselves up for misery.  If their smart about it they can still have a lot of freedoms that rest of people in China don't get and if they don't abuse those freedoms, then they could become more widespread.  

You sound like you would have advocated one being a "Good German" back in the 30s. Skier too for that matter.

10 minutes ago, pokerider said:

The HK protestors are not looking to be their own country. That's  Chinese  propaganda.

The protestors have 5 demands:

1. Full Withdrawal of the extradition bill.

2.A commission of inquiry into police brutality

3. retraction of classification of the protestors as rioters.

4. Amnesty for arrested protestors

5.Dual universal sufferage for the legislative council and the executive

https://yp.scmp.com/hongkongprotests5demands

And protests disrupt people and things by their nature. If protests didn't do anything then no one would pay attention to them.